Does football really require skill to play?

cummon sense

Thunderdome
or just athleticism and size?

let's have an offseason discussion on this.

I played soccer growing up but I can't see just what kind of skill it takes to push people around.

Advertisement
Go catch a football out of a juggs machine. And then throw a ball 50 yards on a dime, hit the receiver in stride, in between two defenders and tell me there's no talent.

Good question.

Not saying you don't have to be a gifted athlete, but you don't have to be one of these prodigies that you see in baseball,soccer, or basketball.

Erik Swoope...never played a lick of organized football until He was signed by the Colts.

Jimmy Graham...the last time He played football before donning the pads at UM? 9th grade.

Ereck Flowers...didn't play football till the 10th grade. Also, I'm assuming that Flowers was too big to play youth football, due to the weight restrictions in a lot of these leagues.

They're still anomalies, but I'd bet football has more of these type of anomalies, than the aforementioned sports.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Don't know, but apparently you can be a HC at major DI school without one ounce of coaching ability.

or just athleticism and size?

let's have an offseason discussion on this.

I played soccer growing up but I can't see just what kind of skill it takes to push people around.

OP = lack of common sense

Advertisement
Go catch a football out of a juggs machine. And then throw a ball 50 yards on a dime, hit the receiver in stride, in between two defenders and tell me there's no talent.

I do think football takes talent, if it was THAT easy everyone could do it. However, dont take soccer lightly, lets use your own scenario nad use soccer.

Go "catch" a soccer ball with your chest that some one lauches at you, we dont have jugg machines lol. After you control the ball, not just bounce of you wildly, lob the ball (with your feet of course, this is real football) 50 yards on a dime while two defenders are trying to slid tackle you, and hit your teammate in stride on his FEET.....and tell me theres not more talent.

*I'll add my own, instead trying to catch a 50 yard punt that went to the moon, try deflecting it with your forehead to one of your teammates.

I do think football takes talent, if it was THAT easy everyone could do it. However, dont take soccer lightly, lets use your own scenario nad use soccer.

Go "catch" a soccer ball with your chest that some one lauches at you, we dont have jugg machines lol. After you control the ball, not just bounce of you wildly, lob the ball (with your feet of course, this is real football) 50 yards on a dime while two defenders are trying to slid tackle you, and hit your teammate in stride on his FEET.....and tell me theres not more talent.

*I'll add my own, instead trying to catch a 50 yard punt that went to the moon, try deflecting it with your forehead to one of your teammates.
No said soccer doesn't take talent. He said I don't think it takes talent to play football. I answered his question. Not said soccer doesn't have talent.

Football is unique because of all the different positions. A cornerback and offensive guard can both claim to play football, but what they do is so vastly different. All the positions are.

All other sports have different positions too but everyone on the field is capable of rotating and every player is going to touch the ball or puck.

Offenses and defenses also dont switch with each other in other sports. The same players keep playing just in the other direction.

So yes there is talent required to play football but its more specialized.

Advertisement
The basics are much simpler in football for most to grasp (running with a ball in hand, catching, or throwing the ball) than in soccer (dribbling the ball, receiving a pass, and passing the ball) and I've played both.

Soccer takes years of refinement and even then there's a larger margin for error IMHO. The one thing I'd say about both, intelligence is often undervalued in the sense that your mind needs to process a lot of information at a high rate of speed. Instincts also come into play in both sports.

Football at the highest level is very dependent on measurables, with soccer it's more control of the ball which only comes with time and no matter the time put in, you peak at whatever part of the way.

I'll maybe get into this more later.

Why are we attacking OP? It's a legitimate question. Let's have a discussion. In our experiences, football is more about aggressiveness or toughness than anything else. If you don't have the necessary mental makeup, then you have nothing. Is that the same with soccer? Probably not to the same extent.
For example:
-running back A (6'0 200, 4.6 40 yd -- soft as ****)
-running back B (5'7 165 4.9 40 yd -- tough as nails)
Not only would running back B massively surpass A in effectiveness, but A would probably quit football. Now, assuming everyone has the same level or at least an acceptable level of toughness: level of skill varies between positions. In fact, many teams, mainly for conditioning purposes, like to label their players with one of three categories. For example, Skill (RB, QB, WR, DB), Big Skill (TE, LB, DE), and Big (OL, DT).

Big's get a bad rap for not being skilled, but that couldn't be more false. Anyone care to talk about skill sets for offensive linemen?

lol, look at this guy

Advertisement
Why are we attacking OP? It's a legitimate question. Let's have a discussion. In our experiences, football is more about aggressiveness or toughness than anything else. If you don't have the necessary mental makeup, then you have nothing. Is that the same with soccer? Probably not to the same extent.
For example:
Not only would running back B massively surpass A in effectiveness, but A would probably quit football. Now, assuming everyone has the same level or at least an acceptable level of toughness: level of skill varies between positions. In fact, many teams, mainly for conditioning purposes, like to label their players with one of three categories. For example, Skill (RB, QB, WR, DB), Big Skill (TE, LB, DE), and Big (OL, DT).

Big's get a bad rap for not being skilled, but that couldn't be more false. Anyone care to talk about skill sets for offensive linemen?

Are you describing Edwards and Yearby?

For example:

Are you describing Edwards and Yearby?

Not at all, just a hypothetical. I'm not even describing some of our former players. Take it a face value.

Does porsting take any skill or just access to your neighbor's unsecured wifi?

Advertisement
Back