Does football really require skill to play?

If you've never thrown, caught or carried a football with full pads on in a game you really have no clue to the skill required in "tackle football". It's as much as being able to walk and run as hockey is being able to swing a stick on skates.

Bottom line is ain't a **** one of us here cheering for a btich *** hockey team, or a soccer team, or any of that faqqoty stuff.

There's a reason football is king.

Ignorance...

Football is king in the U.S. Not in the rest of the world. Of course it requires skill...lots of it, but you cannot refute the fact that people can pick up and play this game at its highest level with minimal training. In sports like hockey and soccer you cannot. Its that simple. That's all people are saying.

To say that people can play football at the highest level with minimal training is just stupid. Sure, NFL team's take chances on freak athletes, hoping they can be trained to become good players. That doesn't mean they're usually successful or, when they are, that it didn't take a lot of intensive training. The fact of the matter is that freak athletes usually don't decide to pick up soccer or hockey later in life because they are boring, low-paying sports.

I'm really at a loss for how you can think a freak athlete, with exceptional speed and coordination, couldn't be trained by top-notch coaches to become a stud in soccer. And hockey is just soccer played on ice. Give a superior athlete 6-months of training by pro coaches and they'll be capable of competing at a high level in hockey.

You are so wrong it isn't funny, but I honestly don't blame you...you just don't know. Its funny to me though. I'm not going to argue this anymore because this **** is flying over your head. Jimmy Graham, or any athlete for that matter would NEVER be able to pickup soccer and play it anywhere near the highest level this late in his life. It is just not a natural ability to use your feet like that. Its something that you will never understand because you haven't played it. It takes an extremely long time to develop those skills. Sure Jimmy would be able to win the physical battles hands down in soccer as he is a superior athlete. However the required skills to play soccer cannot be learned in 6 months (that is hilarious). It would take 10 years at least for him to even be able to pose his way thru 5 minutes on the field without being exposed because these movements just aren't natural for someone that hasn't done them for 20+ years.

And I didn't mean necessarily minimal training in a negative way. My wording was poor. Compared to the training required to master soccer it would be less for the same athlete. This is not putting down football...football is a great sport. I love it...and the athletes in the NFL are some of the greatest in the world.

This is something that you will never understand though because you haven't done it. And of course...I'm sure you think soccer is for pussies so there is no point in this discussion.

This is possibly the dumbest **** I've ever read. Of course J. Graham couldn't be coached up to be an elite soccer player; he isn't a freak athlete in the way that matters for soccer-- a sport that places little value on height or strength. Phillip Dorsett? Different story. Let's put Beckham or Ronaldo (whatever his name is) in pads and neither would make a DIII team, except maybe as a kicker. They lack natural size and strength -- and no matter how much they're coached up, the skills they learn would not be enough. Same as I imagine was the case for you when you didn't make your HS team.

Elite football players in this country are some of the best athletes in the world. Many would excel, if not dominate, sports like soccer if they chose to dedicate themselves to such dull sports.

After reading posters on this thread, with few exceptions, it's apparent that, not only has the UM administration become soft as Charmin, so too has the fan base.

Ronaldo is 6'1, 176. Don't think he could bulk up and gai extra 10 pounds to play WR? Great example dude!

Theo Walcott runs a 4.20, I guess he isn't athletically gifted?

Also didn't realize someone being athletically gifted means they are more skilled. **** why isn't Vick better than Manning?!

People already used the example of Chad Johnson trying out for a MLS team, the low of the low of soccer and the guy looked like a doofus

Advertisement
almost every play in football is scripted. receiver A runs 10 yards then does a slant, RB blocks, etc... etc...

obviously kick returns are free plays.

rarely do you see improvisation and true genius on the field in football.

obviously there are interceptions when the defense makes a good read but often, these are drawn up by coaches to disguise the coverage and fool the QB.

not to mention the fact that in the 60 minutes the ball is probably in play for about 10 minutes at the most.

Couldn't be further from the truth.

Advertisement
Back