Does football really require skill to play?

Nothing requires any skill to play. Period. Nothing. I could go stumble around on skates with a stick and be "playing" hockey.

WORDS MEAN THINGS. They have definitions. It is important to understand that fact.

To play it well or excel at anything requires varying degrees of skill. Yes I would agree with that.

Without having skated at least a handful of times (i.e. practicing or refining that particular "skill") I guarantee that you would not even be able to "stumble around on skates with a stick." Instead, you would step on the ice, fall on your ***, and fail to be able to get up and move more than a few inches, if that, before falling again.

We are taught from birth to walk and run. It's a natural thing, and therefore wouldn't be considered a "skill" needed to be learned for any given sport or activity. Taking it one step further, one could even argue that throwing something (a ball, car keys, a flashlight, whatever) is something that everyone eventually "learns" how to do because it is somewhat of a natural movement.

I still stand by my argument that skating, on the other hand, is a specified skill that is learned for a particular sport or activity, and not "natural" by any means.

If you've never thrown, caught or carried a football with full pads on in a game you really have no clue to the skill required in "tackle football". It's as much as being able to walk and run as hockey is being able to swing a stick on skates.

Bottom line is ain't a **** one of us here cheering for a btich *** hockey team, or a soccer team, or any of that faqqoty stuff.

There's a reason football is king.

Typical ignorant American comment

Football is king yet soccer is played in every single country in the world while football is essentially isolated to the US

Who cares if it's played around the world. football requires just as much skill or more than sorry *** soccer. Of all the sports I played soccer was the easiest. Like I said before, had it not been for real sports like football and track taking up my time I would have easily earned a soccer
Scholly

Funny thing about this thread is you have guys who haven't played both sports sitting saying one requires more skill than the other. One guy claimed since he got picked up in a flag football tourney that prolly had women in it and kids handicapped people etc ....that to him meant football was easy lol.

I'm willing to bet that the people on here claiming football requires the less skill sucked at football. How m ay super athletic people play soccer these days anyways? Or anyway for that matter? Most inferior athletes play soccer. Your best athletes are playing more athletically inclined sports like football and basketball.

Soccer is t all that big in America. Even with that fact some 14 year old made the Olympic team a few years back. If more people cared about the sport no doubt it would happen more often.

You're ignorant as ****. Your myopic views make you sound like a ******* invalid. Superior athletes across the globe play soccer. The best athletes go where the money is...that's it. In the U.S. the money is in football. Best athletes play it because if you're a great athlete you can easily make millions here doing it (some with little to no experience because it takes less time to be good at it at certain positions). Around the globe, the superior athletes play other sports (i.e. soccer) because the money is there. Your posts reveal how small your level of critical thinking skills are...you only see what's right in front of you.

Advertisement
Soccer never took off in America because American's aren't psussies and we don't abide faqqotry. It has nothing to do with the pace of the game or the scoring because if it did baseball wouldn't be so popular here. Football is just a much more entertaining and Alpha sport all the way around.

Dudes used to die playing football before they made the pads and helmets mandatory. Any time one of those rugby cats wants to show us how it's done cmon over and get busy. Let me know when they man up. Bring Messi and Ronaldo over too. LMFAO Good luck with that.

I see idiots on here saying that because an athletic super freak like J. Graham made the switch to the NFL with little experience that it's easy and anyone could do it. That's ******* rich.

No one here cares what the rest of the world thinks. This is America. We run schit. If that bothers you.....Good.

soccer-***-1.jpg

yea, soccer is where it's at!

Again, I'd argue that hockey is the one sport that does require "skill" to play, considering most people don't know how to skate. If you can't skate, it's not possible to play this particular sport... On the other hand, pretty much everybody can run or walk, which is what's fundamentally required for almost every other sport.

Nothing requires any skill to play. Period. Nothing. I could go stumble around on skates with a stick and be "playing" hockey.

WORDS MEAN THINGS. They have definitions. It is important to understand that fact.

To play it well or excel at anything requires varying degrees of skill. Yes I would agree with that.

Without having skated at least a handful of times (i.e. practicing or refining that particular "skill") I guarantee that you would not even be able to "stumble around on skates with a stick." Instead, you would step on the ice, fall on your ***, and fail to be able to get up and move more than a few inches, if that, before falling again.

We are taught from birth to walk and run. It's a natural thing, and therefore wouldn't be considered a "skill" needed to be learned for any given sport or activity. Taking it one step further, one could even argue that throwing something (a ball, car keys, a flashlight, whatever) is something that everyone eventually "learns" how to do because it is somewhat of a natural movement.

I still stand by my argument that skating, on the other hand, is a specified skill that is learned for a particular sport or activity, and not "natural" by any means.

If you've never thrown, caught or carried a football with full pads on in a game you really have no clue to the skill required in "tackle football". It's as much as being able to walk and run as hockey is being able to swing a stick on skates.

Bottom line is ain't a **** one of us here cheering for a btich *** hockey team, or a soccer team, or any of that faqqoty stuff.

Ignorance...

Football is king in the U.S. Not in the rest of the world. Of course it requires skill...lots of it, but you cannot refute the fact that people can pick up and play this game at its highest level with minimal training. In sports like hockey and soccer you cannot. Its that simple. That's all people are saying.

To say that people can play football at the highest level with minimal training is just stupid. Sure, NFL team's take chances on freak athletes, hoping they can be trained to become good players. That doesn't mean they're usually successful or, when they are, that it didn't take a lot of intensive training. The fact of the matter is that freak athletes usually don't decide to pick up soccer or hockey later in life because they are boring, low-paying sports.

I'm really at a loss for how you can think a freak athlete, with exceptional speed and coordination, couldn't be trained by top-notch coaches to become a stud in soccer. And hockey is just soccer played on ice. Give a superior athlete 6-months of training by pro coaches and they'll be capable of competing at a high level in hockey.

Soccer never took off in America because American's aren't psussies and we don't abide faqqotry. It has nothing to do with the pace of the game or the scoring because if it did baseball wouldn't be so popular here. Football is just a much more entertaining and Alpha sport all the way around.

Dudes used to die playing football before they made the pads and helmets mandatory. Any time one of those rugby cats wants to show us how it's done cmon over and get busy. Let me know when they man up. Bring Messi and Ronaldo over too. LMFAO Good luck with that.

I see idiots on here saying that because an athletic super freak like J. Graham made the switch to the NFL with little experience that it's easy and anyone could do it. That's ******* rich.

No one here cares what the rest of the world thinks. This is America. We run schit. If that bothers you.....Good.

lmao.

soccer never took off here because there's no money here. why? because there are no TV commercial spamming every other play in soccer.

Advertisement
I'm really at a loss for how you can think a freak athlete, with exceptional speed and coordination, couldn't be trained by top-notch coaches to become a stud in soccer. And hockey is just soccer played on ice. Give a superior athlete 6-months of training by pro coaches and they'll be capable of competing at a high level in hockey.

Chad Ochocinco was given every opportunity to be coached up by a MLS team. he could not crack the team. why? because soccer requires actual skill.

another elephant in the room that no one mentions: football players on average are probably the least intelligent compared to baseball/basketball/soccer/hockey.

Chad Ochocinco was given every opportunity to be coached up by a MLS team. he could not crack the team. why? because soccer requires actual skill.

another elephant in the room that no one mentions: football players on average are probably the least intelligent compared to baseball/basketball/soccer/hockey.

No, just the fans.

What????????????

How do you come up with that.

Advertisement

What????????????

Funny thing someone did do a research about the IQ level of football fans, basketball, hockey, baseball and I think soccer. And football fans were found to be of less intelligence. I believe they also went into income and other things like that. Now you shouldn't put to much stock into it but it was interesting to see.

Ignorance...

Football is king in the U.S. Not in the rest of the world. Of course it requires skill...lots of it, but you cannot refute the fact that people can pick up and play this game at its highest level with minimal training. In sports like hockey and soccer you cannot. Its that simple. That's all people are saying.

To say that people can play football at the highest level with minimal training is just stupid. Sure, NFL team's take chances on freak athletes, hoping they can be trained to become good players. That doesn't mean they're usually successful or, when they are, that it didn't take a lot of intensive training. The fact of the matter is that freak athletes usually don't decide to pick up soccer or hockey later in life because they are boring, low-paying sports.

You are so wrong it isn't funny, but I honestly don't blame you...you just don't know. Its funny to me though. I'm not going to argue this anymore because this **** is flying over your head. Jimmy Graham, or any athlete for that matter would NEVER be able to pickup soccer and play it anywhere near the highest level this late in his life. It is just not a natural ability to use your feet like that. Its something that you will never understand because you haven't played it. It takes an extremely long time to develop those skills. Sure Jimmy would be able to win the physical battles hands down in soccer as he is a superior athlete. However the required skills to play soccer cannot be learned in 6 months (that is hilarious). It would take 10 years at least for him to even be able to pose his way thru 5 minutes on the field without being exposed because these movements just aren't natural for someone that hasn't done them for 20+ years.

And I didn't mean necessarily minimal training in a negative way. My wording was poor. Compared to the training required to master soccer it would be less for the same athlete. This is not putting down football...football is a great sport. I love it...and the athletes in the NFL are some of the greatest in the world.

This is something that you will never understand though because you haven't done it. And of course...I'm sure you think soccer is for pussies so there is no point in this discussion.

Last edited:

Ochocinco played soccer for most of his life too...he looked awkward and goofy out there trying to play. If he didn't have the Ochocinco name they would've sent him home on the first day.

Advertisement

What????????????

Funny thing someone did do a research about the IQ level of football fans, basketball, hockey, baseball and I think soccer. And football fans were found to be of less intelligence. I believe they also went into income and other things like that. Now you shouldn't put to much stock into it but it was interesting to see.

Now that, I can understand. Not many people from the backwoods of Alabama, Kentucky, or West Virginia would be into those other sports.

just depends on the position. any good athlete can go out there and catch balls. can any of them go out and run an offense?

almost every play in football is scripted. receiver A runs 10 yards then does a slant, RB blocks, etc... etc...

obviously kick returns are free plays.

rarely do you see improvisation and true genius on the field in football.

obviously there are interceptions when the defense makes a good read but often, these are drawn up by coaches to disguise the coverage and fool the QB.

not to mention the fact that in the 60 minutes the ball is probably in play for about 10 minutes at the most.

Advertisement

Its hilarious how stupid this guy really is. It shows his low IQ level. It shows a true beta male with his "my truck is bigger than your truck, so I'm more of a man" mentality thinking. Lol@ the small minded little man.

Very well thought out response.

Typical ignorant American comment

Football is king yet soccer is played in every single country in the world while football is essentially isolated to the US

Who cares if it's played around the world. football requires just as much skill or more than sorry *** soccer. Of all the sports I played soccer was the easiest. Like I said before, had it not been for real sports like football and track taking up my time I would have easily earned a soccer
Scholly

Funny thing about this thread is you have guys who haven't played both sports sitting saying one requires more skill than the other. One guy claimed since he got picked up in a flag football tourney that prolly had women in it and kids handicapped people etc ....that to him meant football was easy lol.

I'm willing to bet that the people on here claiming football requires the less skill sucked at football. How m ay super athletic people play soccer these days anyways? Or anyway for that matter? Most inferior athletes play soccer. Your best athletes are playing more athletically inclined sports like football and basketball.

Soccer is t all that big in America. Even with that fact some 14 year old made the Olympic team a few years back. If more people cared about the sport no doubt it would happen more often.

You're ignorant as ****. Your myopic views make you sound like a ****ing invalid. Superior athletes across the globe play soccer. The best athletes go where the money is...that's it. In the U.S. the money is in football. Best athletes play it because if you're a great athlete you can easily make millions here doing it (some with little to no experience because it takes less time to be good at it at certain positions). Around the globe, the superior athletes play other sports (i.e. soccer) because the money is there. Your posts reveal how small your level of critical thinking skills are...you only see what's right in front of you.

Lol..naw my post are from experince unlike yours. And what superior athletes play soccer? London Donavan? Geraldo of wtf his name is? Lmfao. Please. You're right...he's on the same level athletically as a Lebron james, Deon sanders, justin hunter, etc etc smh.

Ignorance...

You are so wrong it isn't funny, but I honestly don't blame you...you just don't know. Its funny to me though. I'm not going to argue this anymore because this **** is flying over your head. Jimmy Graham, or any athlete for that matter would NEVER be able to pickup soccer and play it anywhere near the highest level this late in his life. It is just not a natural ability to use your feet like that. Its something that you will never understand because you haven't played it. It takes an extremely long time to develop those skills. Sure Jimmy would be able to win the physical battles hands down in soccer as he is a superior athlete. However the required skills to play soccer cannot be learned in 6 months (that is hilarious). It would take 10 years at least for him to even be able to pose his way thru 5 minutes on the field without being exposed because these movements just aren't natural for someone that hasn't done them for 20+ years.

And I didn't mean necessarily minimal training in a negative way. My wording was poor. Compared to the training required to master soccer it would be less for the same athlete. This is not putting down football...football is a great sport. I love it...and the athletes in the NFL are some of the greatest in the world.

This is something that you will never understand though because you haven't done it. And of course...I'm sure you think soccer is for pussies so there is no point in this discussion.

This is possibly the dumbest **** I've ever read. Of course J. Graham couldn't be coached up to be an elite soccer player; he isn't a freak athlete in the way that matters for soccer-- a sport that places little value on height or strength. Phillip Dorsett? Different story. Let's put Beckham or Ronaldo (whatever his name is) in pads and neither would make a DIII team, except maybe as a kicker. They lack natural size and strength -- and no matter how much they're coached up, the skills they learn would not be enough. Same as I imagine was the case for you when you didn't make your HS team.

Elite football players in this country are some of the best athletes in the world. Many would excel, if not dominate, sports like soccer if they chose to dedicate themselves to such dull sports.

After reading posters on this thread, with few exceptions, it's apparent that, not only has the UM administration become soft as Charmin, so too has the fan base.

Advertisement
Back