Does football really require skill to play?

or just athleticism and size?

let's have an offseason discussion on this.

I played soccer growing up but I can't see just what kind of skill it takes to push people around.
Dude no wonder ur rep sucks u may be the worst poster on here.

Advertisement

I played soccer growing up but I can't see just what kind of skill it takes to push people around.

personal attacks to myself do nothing.

try to refute my point.

no other sport in the world places as much value in raw athletic abilities as football. the draft combine is a HUGE part of evaluating football players. why? because athleticism is stressed over football.

MLB, soccer, NBA, NHL had players learning their craft their entire lives. you won't see Jimmy Graham type stories in those sports.

not trying to say football is easy but people need to realize that football skills are not inherently difficult.

personal attacks to myself do nothing.

try to refute my point.

no other sport in the world places as much value in raw athletic abilities as football. the draft combine is a HUGE part of evaluating football players. why? because athleticism is stressed over football.

MLB, soccer, NBA, NHL had players learning their craft their entire lives. you won't see Jimmy Graham type stories in those sports.

not trying to say football is easy but people need to realize that football skills are not inherently difficult.

Soccer is easy...run around and kick a ball and cry like a ***** and fall to the ground when someone touches you

This is officially the dumbest thread ever

Advertisement
Sports that take the most refinement and skills and are the hardest to just jump into and compete.

1. Baseball
2. Basketball
3. Soccer
4. Football

Sports that take the most refinement and skills and are the hardest to just jump into and compete.

1. Baseball
2. Basketball
3. Soccer
4. Football

this list can also be titled 'Most Boring Sports In Order'.

I remember when I was younger, I actually liked the NBA. Now its just a bunch of goons running up and down throwing up crap. too disorderly. too chaotic. Baseball is the absolute worst.

I can sit through a champions league match but can't stomach an MLB game.

1. Baseball
2. Basketball
3. Soccer
4. Football

I'm confused as to how you rate soccer as easier to jump into than basketball...baseball is a good debate, but soccer and basketball aren't even close. Soccer is far more difficult to play at a high level.

Lets put it this way. As a soccer player, you can instantly spot someone that has less than 10 years of serious experience (being generous...usually takes longer) just by passing them a ball on the ground. It takes less than 2 seconds. In football and basketball someone could pose their way thru for quite some time if they're athletic and they've played a bit of ball in the neighborhood.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I was 6'5 268lb could dunk, 300 bench for reps. I was a decent defensive soccer player; did some PAL boxing and I was AWEFUL at left tackle. I mean AWEFUL..looked good on pads tho.

1. Baseball
2. Basketball
3. Soccer
4. Football

I'm confused as to how you rate soccer as easier to jump into than basketball...baseball is a good debate, but soccer and basketball aren't even close. Soccer is far more difficult to play at a high level.

Lets put it this way. As a soccer player, you can instantly spot someone that has less than 10 years of serious experience (being generous...usually takes longer) just by passing them a ball on the ground. It takes less than 2 seconds. In football and basketball someone could pose their way thru for quite some time if they're athletic and they've played a bit of ball in the neighborhood.

I played soccer and basketball. I felt soccer was more natural than basketball. I learned how to control the ball with my feet and kick it around easier than learning to have clean handles and get the mechanics of shooting a basketball game down pat. Also the rules take a little bit more time to digest than soccer which is pretty straight forward.

I do think soccer is a much more mental game. Watching a great soccer play unfold is genius and basketball seems more athletic. That saying I can agree. Basketball may be harder to get right into but soccer requires more skills over athleticism

Advertisement
Don't know, but apparently you can be a HC at major DI school without one ounce of coaching ability.

tumblr_lib6lzkIJ21qcnhhzo1_r1_500.gif

Go catch a football out of a juggs machine. And then throw a ball 50 yards on a dime, hit the receiver in stride, in between two defenders and tell me there's no talent.

I do think football takes talent, if it was THAT easy everyone could do it. However, dont take soccer lightly, lets use your own scenario nad use soccer.

Go "catch" a soccer ball with your chest that some one lauches at you, we dont have jugg machines lol. After you control the ball, not just bounce of you wildly, lob the ball (with your feet of course, this is real football) 50 yards on a dime while two defenders are trying to slid tackle you, and hit your teammate in stride on his FEET.....and tell me theres not more talent.

*I'll add my own, instead trying to catch a 50 yard punt that went to the moon, try deflecting it with your forehead to one of your teammates.

when do you flop and cry like a ***** bc someone was within 3 ft of u

1. Baseball
2. Basketball
3. Soccer
4. Football

this list can also be titled 'Most Boring Sports In Order'.

I remember when I was younger, I actually liked the NBA. Now its just a bunch of goons running up and down throwing up crap. too disorderly. too chaotic. Baseball is the absolute worst.

I can sit through a champions league match but can't stomach an MLB game.

Soccer is crap nowadays. too many flops. NBA is coming close to matching soccer

Advertisement
Bowling takes skill and "refinement" too. Doesn't make it a real sport. Try reading a guard correctly, shedding a block by a 250 lb. fullback, then tackling Barry Sanders for a loss. No skill there. Yes, I know, it takes years of training and skill to control a soccer ball. GTFOH.

Last edited:
I could say football takes as much skill at every position as any other sport. Lets take for example the OL. Must would say all your doing is moving people around. Well this takes tons of skill. The hours you have to put in to learn all the technique with your feet and hand placement would bogle your mind. Blocking a man is not a natural act. You would never say an olympic style wrestler was not skilled. Playing o-line is in the same ball park as far a being skilled I would say as the wrestler. Plus have you ever gone and tackle someone its not easy. Tackling is a skill. Thats why you still see Fr. and So in college arm tackling. You just aren't born knowing how to tackle someone. You should attend a football practice at a high school or college sometime and see how much time is put in to just skills work and fundamentals(plus skills in football aren't call skills there called fundamentals that why you never here tv people talk about skills). I think you would change your mind if you went. I feel it takes the best athletes to play football thats why so much stock is placed on size and speed. But if the player doesn't have the skill then it doesn't matter.

This is hardly worth entertaining because im almost certain op is trolling but leverage and technique is as important as size and athleticism .

Advertisement
Back