Do you use Discord

Do you use Discord

• Yes

Votes: 99 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 111 52.9%

• Total voters
Advertisement
You can connect to a group chat and text/talk to them. You can use it on a laptop, smartphone, laptop, pc, etc. You can also share pictures, video, music for everyone to see.

I typically use it for online dnd sessions or for gaming. Also use a headset.

If you've used Skype, you can use Discord.

Personally, I like the idea of voice over on gameday. I can cuss about the defense or the offense alongside my fellow Canes fans in real time.
What could possibly go wrong?

I think it would be huge and would greatly advise it

for those that don't know, it's just a communication device. That's it really. It's a way to have group calls or a one big huge chat room. It's huge in gaming for communications and I use it **** near every day in playerunknowns battlegrounds.

Basically "live" chat? I think? I have it, I am a member of a stock trading group and they have several different rooms where people talk about stocks. Not sure how it'd translate to this site, I'll have to think more about it but essentially it's kind of like a message board but instead of us all posting on this board, we all talk together in one big room. Or several rooms. It'd be like a group chat with everyone here.

Do I have that right?
I'm incredibly stupid. But could you not accomplish the same thing by starting a thread- title it discord- and then everyone just posts away in the thread on any and all topics? I must be missing something

Advertisement
Discord doesn't seem to fit the theme of having multiple conversations and threads going on all at once. It'll also take away forum activity
Not true you can have separate channels for separate topics.
What can you do on a discord you can’t already do here?
Live chat that updates more seamlessly than a forum without the need for pages. Voice chat and video streaming. Bot commands like music or whatever. Notifications that are integrated to your phone app rather than exclusive to this site - you can customize them or mute them all.

What can't you do? Have archived posts that are easy to circle back to with search functions and dedicated threads, unless those specific posts are pinned.

I use Discord for my D&D group, video game friend groups, and as a forum to stay informed about hobbies or topics I'm interested in. For niche topics - especially those of younger generations - it's way more active than Twitter.

Discord is good for building communities and engaging in real-time events like gamedays or recruiting announcements. Just gotta be careful not to allow it to substitute the forum for everyday discussion.

Obviously we don't want to introduce a platform that reduce forum traffic. The goal is to reach out into a new community and gain forum members. We can integrate our user database and permissions with Discord and we can also have a bot send new threads to Discord. I still don't know if we are going to give it a try and we would only continue to use it if it helped our forums.

Advertisement
Not true you can have separate channels for separate topics.

Live chat that updates more seamlessly than a forum without the need for pages. Voice chat and video streaming. Bot commands like music or whatever. Notifications that are integrated to your phone app rather than exclusive to this site - you can customize them or mute them all.

What can't you do? Have archived posts that are easy to circle back to with search functions and dedicated threads, unless those specific posts are pinned.

I use Discord for my D&D group, video game friend groups, and as a forum to stay informed about hobbies or topics I'm interested in. For niche topics - especially those of younger generations - it's way more active than Twitter.

Discord is good for building communities and engaging in real-time events like gamedays or recruiting announcements. Just gotta be careful not to allow it to substitute the forum for everyday discussion.

This would 100% happen.

I'm not sure if a single forum has survived once they opened up a vbulletin chat feature or migrated in-part to a discord. Its a death sentence for activity on the actual forums.

Some forums, while filled with nonsense, also have a treasure trove of just...information. One of the big concerns when Rogan moved to spotify and his Youtube archives went private was the sheer amount of collective knowledge that the chats (during live broadcasts) and the comments section just disappearing. Like...I can't imagine the Steve Hoffman forums disappearing...its just a treasure of knowledge of music history on that forum. Lots of nonsense in both examples...but so much useful information, links, discourse, etc.

When scout dot com disappeared...a bit of 'Canes history disappeared with it.

As said above - it would likely be the advent to the end of this site.
Plus you would be literally setting up a Discord group that could evolve and take the place of this board without even thinking about it...
Just my opines...

Advertisement
I believe Xenforo has a chat feature. Might that make for a good alternative to the Gameday discussions?

i think one of the big things about the online forum format that is popular with alot of people is the fact they stay anonymous so you can say or post whatever you want without fear of being called out or retaliation, i think something like discord where ppl actually see each other and know who is who may not be popular for many on here
i asked about clubhouse before on here too and it was shut down hahaha

Advertisement
ive used discord almost every day for 5 years now and while i think it would be cool to have a canes discord, i think it would eventually be detrimental to this forum. people would mostly just use the chat in the discord which is no different from doing it here. i cant imagine the live calls would be very popular except for maybe like gameday you could have a live voice chat.

Advertisement
Back