Do you use Discord

Do you use Discord

• Yes

Votes: 99 47.1%
  • No

Votes: 111 52.9%

• Total voters
Obviously we don't want to introduce a platform that reduce forum traffic. The goal is to reach out into a new community and gain forum members. We can integrate our user database and permissions with Discord and we can also have a bot send new threads to Discord. I still don't know if we are going to give it a try and we would only continue to use it if it helped our forums.
I appreciate you always looking for ways to enhance our experience here and certainly understand trying to increase forum traffic. After reading some of the comments
from knowledgeable posters, it seems to me Discord could be a risky proposition.

If your goal is increasing traffic, surely there are avenues that would present less risk. Being a Miami Hurricanes based site limits your customer base. Maybe a grassroots effort to increase traffic. Contact the alumni association. There many alums on this site. I tell every Cane fan I know about CIS. On campus student organizations. There are several CIS members that have contacts with current and former players. Offer a few bucks toward ad free browsing for every new member a current member brings to the site.

I enjoy CIS and want nothing more than for it to remain viable. Technology is obviously the wave of now and the future, but sometimes “old” marketing techniques are still very effective.

Advertisement
This would 100% happen.

I'm not sure if a single forum has survived once they opened up a vbulletin chat feature or migrated in-part to a discord. Its a death sentence for activity on the actual forums.

Some forums, while filled with nonsense, also have a treasure trove of just...information. One of the big concerns when Rogan moved to spotify and his Youtube archives went private was the sheer amount of collective knowledge that the chats (during live broadcasts) and the comments section just disappearing. Like...I can't imagine the Steve Hoffman forums disappearing...its just a treasure of knowledge of music history on that forum. Lots of nonsense in both examples...but so much useful information, links, discourse, etc.

When scout dot com disappeared...a bit of 'Canes history disappeared with it.
As I said you'd have to restrict the channels. So you could have a welcome page channel, a channel with bot links to threads or articles on CIS, a meetup channel, a game discussion channel that locks when games end, etc. It's possible to use it as a supplement.

Discord is awesome. I use the voice chat often with friends and watch sports together.

Advertisement
I'm in my 40s and I use Discord daily. Mostly for video game related stuff, but also to keep in touch with people. There is a ton of stuff you can do with it. I was hesitant to try thinking I wouldn't understand a new thing, but I was scared for nothing

My kids grew up on discord and next gen apps. I would run the experiment.

Advertisement
Jack Black Reaction GIF

Unreal I was literally just thinking about this this morning. What are the odds?

CIS Discord would be great for gamedays. Be careful though because the interface can easily draw discussion away from the site and cost clicks. Might need to be sub-only access or locked outside of gamedays idk.
en inglés por favor

Advertisement
Someone translate discord for me? Is it simply a live chat?
Real-time chatroom-type platform. In contrast to something like Reddit where it is more forum based, where people aren't expected to have conversations in real time. Discord basically consists of groups ("servers" or "guilds") which can be public (findable on Reddit, Server List sites or through Discord Discovery or other servers) or private (just you and your friends/your class/your team at work, etc). Servers consist of text and voice channels, text channels being equivalent to a group chat and voice channels being a call you can join or leave at any time.

Advertisement
Discord would essentially make this site irrelevant no?

Not at all. While you can have a chat via text, link things, Discord is primarily used to speak, headset and mic, no clue how it works on a phone. Think zoom, but without the video aspect although I think there could be video. If that's the case, real time video as well, events would be an interesting tune into.

The only time I use it is when playing a tactical shooter online. Do that with the kids, my brothers (their uncles) for Battlefield or COD on a computer / gaming laptop. Strictly voice, real time.

Advertisement
Back