Dmoney, why so much hype with...

There are some pretty amazing rationales being launched for why this guy didn't start. I guess I'll be foolish and just assume he wasn't as good. And I would suspect the decision wasnt that close for the coaches at least.

My hope is that Morris is a 20/14 type of guy this year then next year we see continued improvement

Unless all of those TDs come against crap schools or in garbage time, I'd be elated with a 20/14 year.

Advertisement
Did this kid ever play baseball and pitch in high school? I'm pretty sure i remember him being at a Florida bombers workout.

I have to be honest here and say that I think a lot of this is because we really have no great alternative. Before people saw williams some touted him as the starter--grass is always greener. Now most have Accepted the fact that he is not very good leaving us with only Morris as a high potential guy. Thus the faith. I have to say that if Morris really was that close to jacory, the coaches made a profound error. We obviously were not going to be very good last year and it was a total waste not to give this guy the nod if they were neck and neck

I agree that it was a mistake. But I really think with the state of the program being what it was at the time due to the Shapiro incident, Golden really wanted to avoid any further controversies. And starting Morris over Jacory would have done just that. This was Jacory's team. Golden really risked losing the locker room for not much real gain.
But I don't attribute Jacory "winning" the job due to him being better. He is not as this year will show. More went into the decision than that.

Keep deluding yourself. Jacory got the job because he was better than, and more able to lead the team than Morris was. People need to accept this. There were no ulterior motives.
Coaches are paid to win now, and don't have the luxury of just cashing in a season to prepare for the future the way fans want at times. A coach will lose his players respect, and his job if he were to have that mentality.

Now perhaps Morris takes huge strides this season and becomes a better qb than Jacory ever was, but he wasn't better than Jacory last season.

Yes he was He was even better than Harris in 2010 in the games they both played in.
In 2010 Vs UVA Morris almost pulls off the comeback while coming off the bench cold turkey being #4 in the depth chart.
Vs Maryland he completes 60% of his passes and throws a beautiful game winning TD pass to Hank.
Vs GT on the road he plays his passer rating was the highest in 2010 for Miami QBs vs FBS competition.
vs VT and the their top 5 pass defense that made Russell Wilson look like a scrub he has Miami tied going into the 4th qtr.
Vs ND in the sun bowl he comes in and cleans the mess Jacory left behind and makes the score respectable throwing 2 TDs and close to 300 yards.

what else do people need to believe in this kid? Sure he threw more INTS than one would like BUT HE WAS A TRUE FROSH THROWN IN COLD TURKEY.

There is no way anyone can argue JACORY was better. NONE.

There was more to the decision. Like Seniority. Like this was Jacory's team. Like he could have been wanting to protect Morris's confidence amist a clusterphuck of a season.

lulz @ still trying to push this bull****. Everyone is crying about how the best players didn't play before and then when Jacory wins the battle again, and make no mistake, he won it - just about every practice report supports it - then you gotta hide under this crap argument that now the coaches are protecting Morris's confidence. 0 TDs thrown against the worst defense in the ACC last year, but yea, he was the better QB.

Advertisement
lulz @ still trying to push this bull****. Everyone is crying about how the best players didn't play before and then when Jacory wins the battle again, and make no mistake, he won it - just about every practice report supports it - then you gotta hide under this crap argument that now the coaches are protecting Morris's confidence. 0 TDs thrown against the worst defense in the ACC last year, but yea, he was the better QB.

It does seem a bit wild. I have some modicum of confidence in golden but these people are trying to talk me out of it. So somehow it's better for Morris and his confidence and the team to have him start this year with like 2 starts career and without his best receivers and back (which was hardly unpredictable). Err, ok. Some serious violations of occam's razor occurring here.

I always thought they shouldve started Morris last year but it's fairly easy to explain this with Jacory being better than these wild explanations making Golden seem like a fool. Our team is most certainly not better off with Morris having hardly started and now handing the ball to mike james and throwing it to guys who've played even less than him.

I have to be honest here and say that I think a lot of this is because we really have no great alternative. Before people saw williams some touted him as the starter--grass is always greener. Now most have Accepted the fact that he is not very good leaving us with only Morris as a high potential guy. Thus the faith. I have to say that if Morris really was that close to jacory, the coaches made a profound error. We obviously were not going to be very good last year and it was a total waste not to give this guy the nod if they were neck and neck

I agree that it was a mistake. But I really think with the state of the program being what it was at the time due to the Shapiro incident, Golden really wanted to avoid any further controversies. And starting Morris over Jacory would have done just that. This was Jacory's team. Golden really risked losing the locker room for not much real gain.
But I don't attribute Jacory "winning" the job due to him being better. He is not as this year will show. More went into the decision than that.

Keep deluding yourself. Jacory got the job because he was better than, and more able to lead the team than Morris was. People need to accept this. There were no ulterior motives.
Coaches are paid to win now, and don't have the luxury of just cashing in a season to prepare for the future the way fans want at times. A coach will lose his players respect, and his job if he were to have that mentality.

Now perhaps Morris takes huge strides this season and becomes a better qb than Jacory ever was, but he wasn't better than Jacory last season.

Yes he was He was even better than Harris in 2010 in the games they both played in.
In 2010 Vs UVA Morris almost pulls off the comeback while coming off the bench cold turkey being #4 in the depth chart.
Vs Maryland he completes 60% of his passes and throws a beautiful game winning TD pass to Hank.
Vs GT on the road he plays his passer rating was the highest in 2010 for Miami QBs vs FBS competition.
vs VT and the their top 5 pass defense that made Russell Wilson look like a scrub he has Miami tied going into the 4th qtr.
Vs ND in the sun bowl he comes in and cleans the mess Jacory left behind and makes the score respectable throwing 2 TDs and close to 300 yards.

what else do people need to believe in this kid? Sure he threw more INTS than one would like BUT HE WAS A TRUE FROSH THROWN IN COLD TURKEY.

There was more to the decision. Like Seniority. Like this was Jacory's team. Like he could have been wanting to protect Morris's confidence amist a clusterphuck of a season.

sure there is, and it's a very simple argument - he beat out Morris for the job. That's really all there is to it.

Try to rationalize, make excuses, whatever, for why Jacory started last year, but the reason simply was that the coaches deemed him the better of the two qb's, and the qb who gave UM the best chance to win.
As I said before, coaches are paid to win now, and that's exactly what Golden was trying to do last year. He wasn't protecting Morris, trying to save his confidence, or whatever bs excuse you are trying to make. Golden was trying to win, and Jacory was viewed as the better choice in qb's for that to happen.

http://cfn.scout.com/2/1207940.html

It won’t matter who wins Miami’s quarterback competition between Ryan Williams and Stephen Morris. Neither will play very well this year.

Don't know if the link will work. It took me ten minutes just to get it copied and pasted like this.
Anyways, I just saw it on collegefootballnews.com in some ACC writeup.

Advertisement
It made me chuckle a little. I think the negative outlook from all of the media will have a positive impact on not only stephen, but the whole team. I can't remember a preseason where everyone predicts us to suck as much as they are this season.

It won’t matter who wins Miami’s quarterback competition between Ryan Williams and Stephen Morris. Neither will play very well this year.

Don't know if the link will work. It took me ten minutes just to get it copied and pasted like this.

Pete Fiutak knows as much about football as Derek Zoolander.

What makes you say this? Definitely about Morris, I think it's pretty premature to say they won't do good.

jacory won the job because he was better than morris last year. easy as that. harris actually had a decent year last year. much improved from his sophomore year.

Advertisement
Advertisement

What makes you say this? Definitely about Morris, I think it's pretty premature to say they won't do good.

That's not my opinion. That was from that website. I think Morris is very good; I remember thinking he played really well his freshman year.
The games he started against Georgia Tech and VT, I was really impressed with him. Also Notre Dame, he came in and the team played with more fire; he did great from what I remember.

That's not my opinion. That was from that website. I think Morris is very good; I remember thinking he played really well his freshman year.
The games he started against Georgia Tech and VT, I was really impressed with him. Also Notre Dame, he came in and the team played with more fire; he did great from what I remember.

Ah makes sense now when I re-read your post.

Minus the BC game last year Jacory wasn't that bad.

2500 yards, 65% completion, 20 TD's and 9 INT's. Jacory had a very good year, give him a little credit.

he was top 10 in the nation in qb rating and completion percentage

He was just ok though. I mean, I for one am glad he's gone.

/We have dumb fans.

Yeah going into that BC game he had 5 INTs on the year - the man with a thousand nicknames related to throwing INTs. Outside of that game he wasn't why we lost games - was part of it against K-State since he missed a few big throws late in the game and obviously didn't get that last few inches to get a TD - but not the main reason.

Still glad to be going forward with Stephen Morris and wouldn't have minded seeing Morris take over in the second half of last year once it was clear we were only playing for pride.

Advertisement
Back