Dmoney, why so much hype with...

mwcane31

Sophomore
Stephen Morris?

I hope that he goes off just like everyone else does but I am not sure that what we have seen from him warrants so much hype! He has a good arm and good mobility but seems to stare down WR's and the moment at the end of the game against Maryland seemed to big! Maybe that's just me. Plus, he couldn't beat out Jacory but you think he is going to be the savior?

What have you seen from him this off-season to warrant that much hype? (which by the way I hope he is!)

Advertisement
my only concern with stephen is how he throws the quick out. The maryland game was a perfect example. The INT he threw at the corner was telegraphed. That route the ball has to be out of his hands before the receiver even turns. Easy fix im sure though..Kid has a cannon and alot more mobility than Jacory

He has all the tools. When you have all the tools, you garner some hype.

i don't normally put any info into the 'hopeful' threads, but i like morris. as mentioned above, he's obviously got the tools.

only question imo is whether or not he will continue to have turnover problems. i think that, although he is older, he hasn't had enough *in game* experience to put him in the same boat as j12. morris has had plenty of time on the greentree fields, but not a ton in games. jacory was a broken record player with INT's... he just never learned. i think morris has plenty of time to learn and to start making good choices with the ball.

i'm not gonna say he's our tom brady, but he isn't going to be as bad as jacory either. i think he's an upgrade for sure.

I like Morris, just for the mere fact he has much more zip on his ball and he can drive the ball deep with velocity unlike his predecessor. I thought our offense late in the year really suffered as teams starting to really squat on some of the short stuff Fisch called in the pass game

Advertisement
The deep post option pass that Morris threw to Benjamin against Duke was a thing of beauty. Of course, Benjamin dropped a sure TD but it should be fun to watch Morris unleash the fury down field.

Don't jinx it. Let's just all say it together. He sucks, and will have a bad season. Which in turn will transform him into a Heisman candidate.

People should stop holding the Maryland game against Morris. That was his 4th start ever as a true sophomore, with a bunch of players suspended.

Its been a year, don't quarterbacks usually improve in a year? Of course they do. Morris was learning the position last year, he'll be fine this year.

Advertisement
The deep post option pass that Morris threw to Benjamin against Duke was a thing of beauty. Of course, Benjamin dropped a sure TD but it should be fun to watch Morris unleash the fury down field.
You´re right, amazing throw!

Still can´t believe Benjamin dropped that pass... hope to see more bombs down field this year.

If nothing else his ability to stretch the field will open up a lot of other things for the offense.

Holy crap I just realized Morris is only a junior. That's great news.
2013 should really be the turning point for Golden and the program. After '13 we're set with Dewey and Olsen battling it out. We'll get a good 3 years from whichever one wins the starting role.

And the defense should be a machine by then.

People should stop holding the Maryland game against Morris. That was his 4th start ever as a true sophomore, with a bunch of players suspended.

Its been a year, don't quarterbacks usually improve in a year? Of course they do. Morris was learning the position last year, he'll be fine this year.

Moreover, I don't recall him performing that poorly in the MD game. In fact, I thought at one point he was something like 15/20 on completions.

He actually showed some promise justifying at least some of this hype in that game (outside of the obvious bad throws).

Advertisement
Because he has all the tools and from all the reports works very hard and wants to be great.

Most of his film is from his true FR year when he stepped in after not practicing with the 1st team the whole year. He still had some great moments. Yeah he locked on to Streeter vs Maryland but Street didn't exactly fight for that ball and almost all youn QBs have that problem. He was something like 15-18 at one point in that game.

Morris is going to be a stud an cant wait to watch him develop this year

The ONLY and I mean ONLY reason Jacory beat out Stephen for the starting role was because he had a better grasp of Fisch's offense. Say what you will about Jacory but the kid knew his football; he just didn't have the right skill-set. He learned 3 different offensive systems in 4 years. That is pretty **** impressive.

Furthermore, I think the dink and dunk offense was more due to limitation's on Jacory's arm not so much on Fisch's playbook.

Yes, Stephen made a bad pass in that game against Maryland. However, Streeter did not come back to the ball like he should have and did not position his body to block out the DB. Nonetheless, Stephen in his first game under a new head coach and new offensive coordinator did lock on to receivers and telegraph some throws.

I think you will see a huge jump purely from an understanding of the game from Stephen. I don't think he was prepared mentally in that Maryland game and it showed with the delay of games.

Stephen has an ELITE arm and when you have that you can get away with certain things Jacory could not, such as: staring down receivers, holding on to the ball a couple of more seconds allowing your receivers to gain separation, and putting it into tight windows. If Stephens mental ability can catch up to his physical attributes we are in for a good one.

If nothing else his ability to stretch the field will open up a lot of other things for the offense.

And he's a legitmate threat running the ball. Hopefully he doesn't take as many hits this year as I'm worried about the guys behind him, but love running with the ball.

Advertisement

Moreover, I don't recall him performing that poorly in the MD game. In fact, I thought at one point he was something like 15/20 on completions.

He actually showed some promise justifying at least some of this hype in that game (outside of the obvious bad throws).

Add in that Golden said that Streeter ran the route poorly which is what caused that first INT. The 2nd INT was on a hail mary. Dude played real solid.

Agreed, he played well enough to win that game. The defense on the otherhand, not so much.

He has an elite arm, can run, is tough as **** and has high character. That's a good place to start.

People forget that he was plucked straight from the scout team because Whipple wanted his son to be a backup. It's a miracle that Morris did what he did.

Morris's growing pains were normal for a young QB, and he showed flashes (including a game-winning drive in his first start) that guys like Kyle Wright or Marve never did.

I saw every pre-season scrimmage last year, and he and Jacory were neck and neck. Jacory's experience won out, but according to those who watched practice during the season, Morris took it to another level. His understanding and command of the offense have grown tremendously, which you'd expect from a maturing quarterback.

I'll bet that Morris is going to be the first Miami quarterback in a long time to get legit NFL interest, and before he hits the next level he will do big things for the Canes.

DMoney, How much eligibility does Morris still have.....I thought that he was a true Junior which should give him the 2012/13 seasons to still play..... I would love to have an experienced QB at the helm when we play UFagg next year......

Advertisement
Back