Dmoney, why so much hype with...

DMoney, How much eligibility does Morris still have.....I thought that he was a true Junior which should give him the 2012/13 seasons to still play..... I would love to have an experienced QB at the helm when we play UFagg next year......

2 years.

Advertisement
DMoney, How much eligibility does Morris still have.....I thought that he was a true Junior which should give him the 2012/13 seasons to still play..... I would love to have an experienced QB at the helm when we play UFagg next year......

True Jr or RS Jr one would still have 2 years of eligibility left.

He has an elite arm, can run, is tough as **** and has high character. That's a good place to start.

People forget that he was plucked straight from the scout team because Whipple wanted his son to be a backup. It's a miracle that Morris did what he did.

Morris's growing pains were normal for a young QB, and he showed flashes (including a game-winning drive in his first start) that guys like Kyle Wright or Marve never did.

I saw every pre-season scrimmage last year, and he and Jacory were neck and neck. Jacory's experience won out, but according to those who watched practice during the season, Morris took it to another level. His understanding and command of the offense have grown tremendously, which you'd expect from a maturing quarterback.

I'll bet that Morris is going to be the first Miami quarterback in a long time to get legit NFL interest, and before he hits the next level he will do big things for the Canes.

The Spencer Whipple experiment has to be one of the more embarrassing recent moments as a Canes fan. He couldn't cut it as UMASS but somehow was the backup QB at Miami (great roster management). 6-12 50 yrds 2 INTs in about 1 quarter forcing a true FR who was on the scout team to burn his RS and lead the team. If that isn't the epitome of the Randy Shannon-era I don't know what is.

MiamiVice7 said:
Moreover, I don't recall him performing that poorly in the MD game. In fact, I thought at one point he was something like 15/20 on completions.

He actually showed some promise justifying at least some of this hype in that game (outside of the obvious bad throws).

This. I don't get our fanbase's beef with him, he hasn't even played that much and when he did play he wasn't too bad to be that green.

Advertisement
He has an elite arm, can run, is tough as **** and has high character. That's a good place to start.

People forget that he was plucked straight from the scout team because Whipple wanted his son to be a backup. It's a miracle that Morris did what he did.

Morris's growing pains were normal for a young QB, and he showed flashes (including a game-winning drive in his first start) that guys like Kyle Wright or Marve never did.

I saw every pre-season scrimmage last year, and he and Jacory were neck and neck. Jacory's experience won out, but according to those who watched practice during the season, Morris took it to another level. His understanding and command of the offense have grown tremendously, which you'd expect from a maturing quarterback.

I'll bet that Morris is going to be the first Miami quarterback in a long time to get legit NFL interest, and before he hits the next level he will do big things for the Canes.

The Spencer Whipple experiment has to be one of the more embarrassing recent moments as a Canes fan. He couldn't cut it as UMASS but somehow was the backup QB at Miami (great roster management). 6-12 50 yrds 2 INTs in about 1 quarter forcing a true FR who was on the scout team to burn his RS and lead the team. If that isn't the epitome of the Randy Shannon-era I don't know what is.

Those stats weren't as bad as Kirby Freeman's vs NC St! Lol!

He will make or break us this year... honestly feel that way. I think he has some crazy potential and most of his mistakes I could attribute to youth. From what I've seen, his arm is going to really allow us to stretch the field. I remember him throwing a couple of bullets 40+ yards that should have been caught (against Maryland). He is mobile and can run the roll out plays and draws. I think that the WR's and TE's will overachieve this year giving him some great weapons.

Bottom line is it comes down to his maturity and head. If he has learned the offense as much as the coaches say he has, and has shaken off the potential to throw dumb passes, then I think he's going to have a great year. This makes us a 9+ win team.

Its all about the QB play... ALWAYS has been the last 8+ years. That is f%cking sad, but aside from 2005 (terrible O line play) and 2004 (Brock Berlin's good year), the QB literally was the reason we struggled.

D$, what are your thoughts about Morris intelligence, ability to make smart decisions and go through his progressions, and his leadership capacity. IIRC, he is very young for his class, so maybe it was immaturity. But he didn't come across as smart, sharp, quick-thinking, patient and inspirational to me. Does he have that "IT" factor you see in guys like Luck to be elite?

Whipple was on pace to top Kirnobyl.

Advertisement
Physically he has all the tools. Mentally is another story. Gator boy has work to do.

A period of time I would love to forget.

D$, what are your thoughts about Morris intelligence, ability to make smart decisions and go through his progressions, and his leadership capacity. IIRC, he is very young for his class, so maybe it was immaturity. But he didn't come across as smart, sharp, quick-thinking, patient and inspirational to me. Does he have that "IT" factor you see in guys like Luck to be elite?

You have to look at the circumstances of his freshman year. He went straight from the scout team (where he was running other teams' plays) to the starting lineup overnight. He missed all those practice reps, the snaps against FCS teams, everything. It's tough enough being a freshman QB, but those circumstances (which were a direct result of the incompetence at HC and OC) stacked the deck against him. The fact that he came in and immediately made plays and won some games speaks to his natural football instincts.

This is the year where we find out whether he has it mentally. The practice reports are overwhelmingly positive, but he needs to prove it in the games. Here's what I like about his mental game:

1) He trusts what he sees. A lot of quarterbacks-- your Kyle Wright, Blaine Gabbert, John Brantley types-- look the part but are afraid to throw the football. Morris isn't. He will throw into tight windows and is always looking downfield to make a play. This was evident right away with his mini-comeback against Virginia, his tremendous first two starts against Maryland and Georgia Tech, and his success against Virginia Tech before Benjamin's game-changing drop. Morris doesn't look at the rush and is willing to get cracked if it gives him a chance to make a play. That's God-given.

2) He does the right things off the field. Don't know how his grades are at UM, but he was a good student in high school and is a consummate team player. The coaches really like his weight room ethic and focus. That type of mentality + time and experience usually leads to improvement. The things Morris does have (the gameness and the talent) can't be improved that much. His knowledge of the offense can and should improve with time.

Bottom line, I see a gamer with elite tools and a willing attitude. Just the kind of guy for Fisch to develop into an NFL quarterback.

You have to look at the circumstances of his freshman year. He went straight from the scout team (where he was running other teams' plays) to the starting lineup overnight. He missed all those practice reps, the snaps against FCS teams, everything. It's tough enough being a freshman QB, but those circumstances (which were a direct result of the incompetence at HC and OC) stacked the deck against him. The fact that he came in and immediately made plays and won some games speaks to his natural football instincts.

This is the year where we find out whether he has it mentally. The practice reports are overwhelmingly positive, but he needs to prove it in the games. Here's what I like about his mental game:

1) He trusts what he sees. A lot of quarterbacks-- your Kyle Wright, Blaine Gabbert, John Brantley types-- look the part but are afraid to throw the football. Morris isn't. He will throw into tight windows and is always looking downfield to make a play. This was evident right away with his mini-comeback against Virginia, his tremendous first two starts against Maryland and Georgia Tech, and his success against Virginia Tech before Benjamin's game-changing drop. Morris doesn't look at the rush and is willing to get cracked if it gives him a chance to make a play. That's God-given.

2) He does the right things off the field. Don't know how his grades are at UM, but he was a good student in high school and is a consummate team player. The coaches really like his weight room ethic and focus. That type of mentality + time and experience usually leads to improvement. The things Morris does have (the gameness and the talent) can't be improved that much. His knowledge of the offense can and should improve with time.

Bottom line, I see a gamer with elite tools and a willing attitude. Just the kind of guy for Fisch to develop into an NFL quarterback.

He is around the top 3 in GPA on the team.

Advertisement
I spent a lot of time around Stephen when he was on the scout team in 2010. He's a serious, quiet, mature guy who has his head on straight. He's 2 years removed from playing pretty well against some good competition when Jacory went down. He didn't light it up against maryland last year but that game was a complete cluster****.

I think you just described Scott Covington.

Also, like I said in the other thread, until Morris makes a string of plays with his head instead of his arm/legs, I will simply take a cautious approach.

Last edited:

Also, like I said in the other thread, until Morris makes a string of plays with his head instead of his arm/legs, I will simply take a cautious approach.

Agreed. However, I think this is where Jedd Fisch earns his money. As the offensive coordinator, I think it is imperative that Fisch create situations where Morris understands exactly what he's looking at presnap. It is about dictating coverages by formations and exploiting them post snap. Other than a strong running game it is the next best thing for a young quarterback to make plays in the passing game.

Advertisement

Those two stick out for me, not as bad as closing the OB but these 2 were embarrassing

I have to be honest here and say that I think a lot of this is because we really have no great alternative. Before people saw williams some touted him as the starter--grass is always greener. Now most have Accepted the fact that he is not very good leaving us with only Morris as a high potential guy. Thus the faith. I have to say that if Morris really was that close to jacory, the coaches made a profound error. We obviously were not going to be very good last year and it was a total waste not to give this guy the nod if they were neck and neck

Scott Covington like numbers wouldn't be bad at all. Especially if those are Morris's JR numbers that set up an even better SR year. Would have been nice to have Covington start two years instead of just 1. Clement's arm was shot by the time he left.

I have to be honest here and say that I think a lot of this is because we really have no great alternative. Before people saw williams some touted him as the starter--grass is always greener. Now most have Accepted the fact that he is not very good leaving us with only Morris as a high potential guy. Thus the faith. I have to say that if Morris really was that close to jacory, the coaches made a profound error. We obviously were not going to be very good last year and it was a total waste not to give this guy the nod if they were neck and neck

Disagree on the first part. D$, myself, and a few others have been saying this since his freshman year. I'm not sure what there's not to like about Morris, can't wait to watch him get turned loose this year. He's one of the reasons I think the team will be a better then people think.

Advertisement
Back