Dmoney, why so much hype with...

People should stop holding the Maryland game against Morris. That was his 4th start ever as a true sophomore, with a bunch of players suspended.

Its been a year, don't quarterbacks usually improve in a year? Of course they do. Morris was learning the position last year, he'll be fine this year.

Does anyone remember the conditions of College Field for that game? I was on the 50 and was amazed anyone could actually pass more then 10 yards in that rain. It was brutal and I thought he did extremley well.

Factor that in with the first game in a NEW offense and I'm shocked why anyone is *****ing

Last edited:
Advertisement
People should stop holding the Maryland game against Morris. That was his 4th start ever as a true sophomore, with a bunch of players suspended.

Its been a year, don't quarterbacks usually improve in a year? Of course they do. Morris was learning the position last year, he'll be fine this year.

Does anyone remember the conditions of College Field for that game? I was on the 50 and was amazed anyone could actually pass more then 10 yards in that rain.

Danny O'Brien didn't have any problems carving up our putrid defense.

But I thought Morris played reasonably well. Need to see more before anointing him, though.

Does anyone remember the conditions of College Field for that game? I was on the 50 and was amazed anyone could actually pass more then 10 yards in that rain. It was brutal and I thought he did extremley well.

Factor that in with the first game in a NEW offense and I'm shocked why anyone is ****ing

Danny O'Brien went 31-44 for 348 yds 1 td 1 int. in a new offense. They won 2 games and he lost his job cause he was terrible!

Does anyone remember the conditions of College Field for that game? I was on the 50 and was amazed anyone could actually pass more then 10 yards in that rain.

Danny O'Brien didn't have any problems carving up our putrid defense.

But I thought Morris played reasonably well. Need to see more before anointing him, though.

i'd guess at least 60% of his completion were catches made 5 yards or less from scrimmage. that was a freebie special given to him by the DC.

Minus the BC game last year Jacory wasn't that bad.

It was hardly a coincidence. Boston College was the only opponent all year that locked onto Fisch's tendency to abuse the underneath stuff. Other than against the top handful of SEC defenses you can generally get away with short cheap passes in college football. Fisch figured that out but frankly it made me sick. The first play against FSU was a near disaster that we got away with. By the time we played Boston College, Luke Kuechly knew all our underneath tendencies and it was laughable watching that game from the stands. Kuechly and the other linebackers were jumping the short routes like a foosball stick. We were shell shocked and offered no threat of competent adjustment. It reverted to tunnel vision lobs downfield. The old Miami staple of deep drop off play action, plant and fire in the intermediate zones is little more than a distant memory these days. Scary to think what our dink and dunk would look like against Alabama, which shreds short passes, allowing a surreal 4.6 YPA last season.

Our YPA was pretty good last year but too much of it was improved completion percentage, with Jacory up to 65% solely due to altered offensive approach. IMO, it's a style that will regularly churn out 6-6 to 8-4 type seasons. We didn't run the ball often enough and the passes were short. So essentially we substituted rushes for short passes. That's a lazy flawed approach...just good enough to get you beat. I worked in a sports stats office for years. The blueprint is to run the ball often and pass the ball well, i.e. successfully downfield. Good teams will never allow you to throw the ball safely and short and pick up vital first downs. It looks great on 3rd down against Duke.

FSU is starting to resemble a top SEC defense. They were 3rd in the nation in yards allowed per play last year, behind only Alabama and LSU. The next logical step for a surging defense is to become even more aggressive and stingy against the short pass, basically denying every one. During the spring game we seemed more nasty against the short pass ourselves but I couldn't tell if it was merely similarities to the Boston College game, our defense knowing Williams and the pass offense were so limited they basically didn't have to worry about anything downfield.

Obviously Morris has a superior arm to Jacory, and not as much touch. I suspect we'll dart downfield more often via those realities alone, even if Fisch still itches to open every game with a dainty 3 yard out, and abuse the short junk throughout.

Advertisement

It was hardly a coincidence. Boston College was the only opponent all year that locked onto Fisch's tendency to abuse the underneath stuff. Other than against the top handful of SEC defenses you can generally get away with short cheap passes in college football. Fisch figured that out but frankly it made me sick. The first play against FSU was a near disaster that we got away with. By the time we played Boston College, Luke Kuechly knew all our underneath tendencies and it was laughable watching that game from the stands. Kuechly and the other linebackers were jumping the short routes like a foosball stick. We were shell shocked and offered no threat of competent adjustment. It reverted to tunnel vision lobs downfield. The old Miami staple of deep drop off play action, plant and fire in the intermediate zones is little more than a distant memory these days. Scary to think what our dink and dunk would look like against Alabama, which shreds short passes, allowing a surreal 4.6 YPA last season.

Our YPA was pretty good last year but too much of it was improved completion percentage, with Jacory up to 65% solely due to altered offensive approach. IMO, it's a style that will regularly churn out 6-6 to 8-4 type seasons. We didn't run the ball often enough and the passes were short. So essentially we substituted rushes for short passes. That's a lazy flawed approach...just good enough to get you beat. I worked in a sports stats office for years. The blueprint is to run the ball often and pass the ball well, i.e. successfully downfield. Good teams will never allow you to throw the ball safely and short and pick up vital first downs. It looks great on 3rd down against Duke.

FSU is starting to resemble a top SEC defense. They were 3rd in the nation in yards allowed per play last year, behind only Alabama and LSU. The next logical step for a surging defense is to become even more aggressive and stingy against the short pass, basically denying every one. During the spring game we seemed more nasty against the short pass ourselves but I couldn't tell if it was merely similarities to the Boston College game, our defense knowing Williams and the pass offense were so limited they basically didn't have to worry about anything downfield.

Obviously Morris has a superior arm to Jacory, and not as much touch. I suspect we'll dart downfield more often via those realities alone, even if Fisch still itches to open every game with a dainty 3 yard out, and abuse the short junk throughout.

Solid post, thanks for bringing it!

Im a big fan of Morris. But with no Miller,Streeter, Benjamin, and a Kehoe controlled O line, i dont know how many miracles he can perform.

This has less to do with an "SEC type defense" (in terms of physical ability) and is really just a combination of circumstances. The two primary circumstances were (1) our QB's aversion to the parts of the field that take readability and potentially zip on passes and (2) defenses that mix and match underneath zones.

Jacory was notoriously bad playing against zones. His inability to pick apart the middle of the field is legendary. The most blatant example of it was against FSU in 2010. FSU was giving away the seams, but our QB was incapable or unwilling to make those throws. The reason I am yet to jump on the Stephen Morris express train is because I am yet to see him move defenders around with his eyes (or the direction of his facemask) or make a consistent string of plays with his "head" rather than his "arm/legs."

Against underneath or combination zones, it will take more than arm strength or physical ability. It will take pre-snap reads combined with post-snap "games" of looking defenders off. The ironic thing is that those underneath LBs in zone are the easiest pieces to move around. We'll see if Fisch adjusts accordingly and puts Morris in the position to make simpler reads.

Last edited:
Advertisement

In your opinion, how of Fisch not pounding the run enough was a result of an OLine that was a tad disappointing?

I have concerns regarding Kehoe, can't lie

Morris should have started at least half the year last year. He played really goog in that Maryland game. Completed like 13 passes staright and almost led 2 minute drill to a win in monsoon.
I like what Golden is doing but Hiring Kehoe back and
starting Jacory last year were 2 miscues.
Could go eithor way with Morris. If we cant protect him he wont perform.
He played really good in that Maryland game. Completed like 13 passes staright and almost led 2 minute drill to a win
in monsoon. Dont know why fans were so critical of Morris in Maryland game.

He has an elite arm, can run, is tough as **** and has high character. That's a good place to start.

People forget that he was plucked straight from the scout team because Whipple wanted his son to be a backup. It's a miracle that Morris did what he did.

Morris's growing pains were normal for a young QB, and he showed flashes (including a game-winning drive in his first start) that guys like Kyle Wright or Marve never did.

I saw every pre-season scrimmage last year, and he and Jacory were neck and neck. Jacory's experience won out, but according to those who watched practice during the season, Morris took it to another level. His understanding and command of the offense have grown tremendously, which you'd expect from a maturing quarterback.

I'll bet that Morris is going to be the first Miami quarterback in a long time to get legit NFL interest, and before he hits the next level he will do big things for the Canes.

amen +1

Advertisement
Back