Discussion: WR board

We offered back in January, he's a Canes legacy being TE Willie Smith son & his HC at Bayside played for Manny at Miss St.

Its unclear if the staff is recruiting him but he has said he likes Miami a lot, if we were to recruit him it would really difficult to not land him, we'd literally have to try not to, but this is Miami & we're the best at making the easiest & most obvious thing the more difficult than it should.

I think it was D$ or someone else on this site, but they mentioned Smith is a big-time priority for this staff, he just doesn't conduct any interviews so its hard to gauge. So hopefully that is the case and we don't overthink this one

Advertisement
Brinson
Nabers
George
Yulkeith

Brinson & lil Yul are the two that are difficult to gauge, more than likely leans to other schools right now but maybe with a winning season can convince them to stay home.

George is gonna recommit to Miami next week, good job by the staff getting him back.

Nabers is a kid you pursue until he signs on the dotted line, he's not a take for LSU this class so work hard to bring him in & that would be a huge victory to snag him from SEC country.

The comparison for Brashard Smith is Kadarius Toney, if that's the case, what's so special about Toney? He's been pretty average most of his career at UF, yes I know he had 1 66yd TD reception vs Miami and all, but if Bandy wasn't being held on the play & if our DB's could actually tackle that game he would've been wrapped up for a much lesser gain.

IMO Toney is just gadget player that works in Mullen's offense because they design specific plays to force feed him the ball, but if you really look at his career numbers, he's only scored 2TD's in 3 years & hasn't had more than 300yds receiving his whole career, his impact is vastly over stated.

Advertisement
For those of you that are best with number crunching with scholarships...could we realistically fit 4 into this class?

Brinson, George, Alexis, Y. Brown, C. Smith and B. Smith would be the only pool of realistic gets I'd be invested in here. If you can't pull 3-4 of those and you're Rob Likens who just put two WRs into R1 of the NFL, idk whats going on.

For those of you that are best with number crunching with scholarships...could we realistically fit 4 into this class?

Brinson, George, Alexis, Y. Brown, C. Smith and B. Smith would be the only pool of realistic gets I'd be invested in here. If you can't pull 3-4 of those and you're Rob Likens who just put two WRs into R1 of the NFL, idk whats going on.

Yea if they allow curtis to play wr.

Advertisement
Brinson
Nabers
George
Yulkeith

Brinson & lil Yul are the two that are difficult to gauge, more than likely leans to other schools right now but maybe with a winning season can convince them to stay home.

George is gonna recommit to Miami next week, good job by the staff getting him back.

Nabers is a kid you pursue until he signs on the dotted line, he's not a take for LSU this class so work hard to bring him in & that would be a huge victory to snag him from SEC country.

The comparison for Brashard Smith is Kadarius Toney, if that's the case, what's so special about Toney? He's been pretty average most of his career at UF, yes I know he had 1 66yd TD reception vs Miami and all, but if Bandy wasn't being held on the play & if our DB's could actually tackle that game he would've been wrapped up for a much lesser gain.

IMO Toney is just gadget player that works in Mullen's offense because they design specific plays to force feed him the ball, but if you really look at his career numbers, he's only scored 2TD's in 3 years & hasn't had more than 300yds receiving his whole career, his impact is vastly over stated.
Who yul leaning to now? I know he liked lsu but he probably isn’t a take there cause they already have a slot guy committed

No. I believe Smith is higher on the board and I would agree with that positioning.

Ya I can't agree with that. Brown looks more electric to me. An also wasn't even comparable in the 1-on-1 drills we saw earlier this spring.

Yul Brown should be in if/when he wants in...Nothing against Smith who would be a nice addition as well. I just think Brown is uncoverable at this stage of his career.

Advertisement
Brinson
Nabers
George
Yulkeith

I agree w the Toney comment, don’t think he is anything special at all. I think Smith is a much better prospect than he was and will be a better player on the next level. Would I take Smith? Absolutely. Would I take him over Yulkeith? No.

Yes we can definitely take 4.

Harley is a Senior, Pope & Wiggins are Juniors, Few is a Red Junior, Payton is the only Red Fresh & the rest of them are all TF's who early enrolled.

Harley is gone no matter what & if Pope or Wiggins have a halfway decent season history tells us they're both gone, I don't believe they should leave early, but this is Miami & our Juniors never make good decisions as it pertains to their draft status, but the two of them would might stay who knows. But otherwise, we could potentially only have 6 WR's for next year if Pope/Wiggins left early, if Few graduates & transfers it could be 5, not saying he will, just laying out the possibility if it were to happen.

If everybody comes back for their final year of eligibility & no one transfers we will have 8 WR's total.

Either way we should still take 4 this class if we can get 4.

IMO
Top tier:
Alexis
Brinson
Y.Brown
Nabers

Technically I could see all ^ except Brinson on either side of the ball, but it sounds like they are going/want to be WR

Tier 2 (I probably take them now):
George
C.Smith (I take him regardless, like him on either side... And start him on defense if other WR com)
M.Johnson (if we're still involved, not sure we are)
Curtis (He's actually close to tier one for me as a WR...I think he's excellent and if I had to call it he'll end up at WR)

Tier 3 (Definite Takes, not sure I would accept right now because top 2 groups are deep):
Skinner (I like him, maybe Tier 2)
Grimes
Killings (My own sleeper, not sure if UM even knows who he is... if the other slots go elsewhere, I'd take in a heartbeat)
Rutherford
Eaford
Mclain
Raines (of the list he may be my least favorite on here...But he does have great size)
B Smith (like the versatility though, I'd take him as an athlete, 2nd back...Just like Yul Brown better)

There's some Texas kids I like that have been posted here, and Tommi Hill was a solid tier 2 for me...Just getting close to summer and doesn't sound like we are in the game.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Ya I can't agree with that. Brown looks more electric to me. An also wasn't even comparable in the 1-on-1 drills we saw earlier this spring.

Yul Brown should be in if/when he wants in...Nothing against Smith who would be a nice addition as well. I just think Brown is uncoverable at this stage of his career.
Brown's versatility separates him IMO.

He could legitimately be a Slot WR, RB or Nickel CB in college, Smith is versatile as well, but I believe he's more of a Slot-WR only, not that there's anything wrong with that, but Yul is a potential P5 1,000 yard RB if he wants to be.

It'll probably be first come first serve, but if the option is between Yul or Brashard I'm taking Yulkieth all day.

To me he kills two birds with one stone, because it looks like we're amping up our contact with Amari Daniels, Yul is a better RB than Daniels & a better WR than Smith IMO. I think he's a no brainer take.

Although I lile Yul alot, I dont think he really wants to be a Cane.. he wants LSU, but I doubt they take him...I see him most likely goin to A&M... Get Brinson, George, Brashard and Nabers or Alexis... Chase Smith a added bonus he can is the ATH for this class to take

Brown's versatility separates him IMO.

He could legitimately be a Slot WR, RB or Nickel CB in college, Smith is versatile as well, but I believe he's more of a Slot-WR only, not that there's anything wrong with that, but Yul is a potential P5 1,000 yard RB if he wants to be.

It'll probably be first come first serve, but if the option is between Yul or Brashard I'm taking Yulkieth all day.

To me he kills two birds with one stone, because it looks like we're amping up our contact with Amari Daniels, Yul is a better RB than Daniels & a better WR than Smith IMO. I think he's a no brainer take.

See I think Smith is fine as a 2nd back...It's Brown ability as a PURE SLOT that separates him although I agree he could play RB too, maybe even as well or better than Brown. To me they are close as RB, with Brown just more electric overall player, especially in space (Slot)

Yes we can definitely take 4.

Harley is a Senior, Pope & Wiggins are Juniors, Few is a Red Junior, Payton is the only Red Fresh & the rest of them are all TF's who early enrolled.

Harley is gone no matter what & if Pope or Wiggins have a halfway decent season history tells us they're both gone, I don't believe they should leave early, but this is Miami & our Juniors never make good decisions as it pertains to their draft status, but the two of them would might stay who knows. But otherwise, we could potentially only have 6 WR's for next year if Pope/Wiggins left early, if Few graduates & transfers it could be 5, not saying he will, just laying out the possibility if it were to happen.

If everybody comes back for their final year of eligibility & no one transfers we will have 8 WR's total.

Either way we should still take 4 this class if we can get 4.

I think you might be looking at the numbers wrong in this case, its the 25 limit that i think prevents us from taking 4.

We're at 13 right now need a QB, 1-2 more OL, 1 LB, 2 DEs, Safety, CB

thats puts us at 20-21. Williams the grad transfer would count as well.

do you go 4 WRs, 3 WRs and APB, 3WRs and take another DL or DB?

going to be interesting

Advertisement
Back