Discussion: WR board

Zbrod95

Thank God for the Columbus Mafia
Let’s discuss the prospects on the board and how you would mold this class. Feel free to add guys you feel we should be talking about or be offered.

Jacolby George - bit of a project and looks like he’ll gain strength/speed once he hits the weight room. Understands spacing and it’s hard to find better hands. Needs a gym.

Brashard Smith - More of a weapon than a WR or RB. Legit Speed and might have gotten bigger and faster. I worry that him being positionless though might limit the potential

Mello Brinson - Lanky, athletic vertical threat. Maybe the 2nd best pure WR in SFL? He definitely a kid that’ll explode in a weight room and get faster.

Bralon Brown - A bit of a speed concern. I’ve personally have cooled on him. Real physical with a big catch radius. Not a polished WR like Mello but is college built which Mello needs to work on.

Christian Leary - Speed but with a thick build. Is an actual WR while Brashard is more of a weapon even though Christian needs to improve his route running. Really skilled in the open field, possible returner in College.

Jacorey Brooks - Mello and him are similar but Jacorey is probably longer and has a bigger wingspan. Has speed concerns but ran 22.18 in the 200 so I would expect him to run in the 4.6 range just like Mello would next time they test. Really good hands.

Malik Nabers - Really tough kid. Is big enough and has good athleticism. Good in it comes to getting YAC. Doesn’t have a tremendous route tree but has the tools to become a great route runner. Decent pair of mitts and he has a good release.

Jaden Alexis - The man at Monarch with legit speed. Easily could be an elite CB as he could be at WR. Good hands but needs to expand the route tree. Can probably play outside or inside. Leaning Texas apparently.

Yulkieth Brown - Another speed demon that’s more of a weapon than any position. Really good route runner but there’s a hands question here. Really dynamic in the open field. Off topic but he has CB tape and he looks good. Make me wonder why we took Malik Curtis when Yul is probably the same size and is a better ball player.

Guys we should be talking about or offered:

Eric McAlister - Big, 6’3 high jumper/basketball player from Texas that’s really productive. I’m just going to post the thread on him and leave it at that.

Chase Smith - People like using Isaiah Simmons as a comp but I noticed today that he doesn’t have a big frame which kind of puts a dent in that and I can’t get over his hands. Look, he’s literally got some of the best hands in this class and some of the catches he makes on tape are ridiculous. Production wise he’s similar to Mello and he’s longer. He definitely has the speed to play there. I also think he’ll be in the 4.6 range but he needs a weight room plus a little more flexibility. I think he’s just as good as Mello at WR. Don’t believe me? Watch his tape in entirety.

My Class:

JaColby George
Mello Brinson
Chase Smith

I’ve been adamant about needing some athletic length on the outside and Mello and Chase are both going to be high 4.4, low 4.5 guys (maybe faster) once they get in this weight room and I think both can be high round picks. I went with JaColby over Eric just because I can’t turn down his hands and I think JaColby is gonna be real fast once he hits the weight room. That’s something that all three hit, hands with athleticism. They won’t drop balls and that’s something we’ve struggled with last year. Bunch of high floor/ceiling guys that I think will play in the league.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Let’s discuss the prospects on the board and how you would mold this class. Feel free to add guys you feel we should be talking about or be offered.

Jacolby George - bit of a project and looks like he’ll gain strength/speed once he hits the weight room. Understands spacing and it’s hard to find better hands. Needs a gym.

Brashard Smith - More of a weapon than a WR or RB. Legit Speed and might have gotten bigger and faster. I worry that him being positionless though might limit the potential

Mello Brinson - Lanky, athletic vertical threat. Maybe the 2nd best pure WR in SFL? He definitely a kid that’ll explode in a weight room and get faster.

Bralon Brown - A bit of a speed concern. I’ve personally have cooled on him. Real physical with a big catch radius. Not a polished WR like Mello but is college built which Mello needs to work on.

Christian Leary - Speed but with a thick build. Is an actual WR while Brashard is more of a weapon even though Christian needs to improve his route running. Really skilled in the open field, possible returner in College.

Jacorey Brooks - Mello and him are similar but Jacorey is probably longer and has a bigger wingspan. Has speed concerns but ran 22.18 in the 200 so I would expect him to run in the 4.6 range just like Mello would next time they test. Really good hands.

Malik Nabers - Really tough kid. Is big enough and has good athleticism. Good in it comes to getting YAC. Doesn’t have a tremendous route tree but has the tools to become a great route runner. Decent pair of mitts and he has a good release.

Jaden Alexis - The man at Monarch with legit speed. Easily could be an elite CB as he could be at WR. Good hands but needs to expand the route tree. Can probably play outside or inside. Leaning Texas apparently.

Yulkieth Brown - Another speed demon that’s more of a weapon than any position. Really good route runner but there’s a hands question here. Really dynamic in the open field. Off topic but he has CB tape and he looks good. Make me wonder why we took Malik Curtis when Yul is probably the same size and is a better ball player.

Eric McAlister - Big, 6’3 high jumper/basketball player from Texas that’s really productive. I’m just going to post the thread on him and leave it at that.

Chase Smith - People like using Isaiah Simmons as a comp but I noticed today that he doesn’t have a big frame which kind of puts a dent in that and I can’t get over his hands. Look, he’s literally got some of the best hands in this class and some of the catches he makes on tape are ridiculous. Production wise he’s similar to Mello and he’s longer. He definitely has the speed to play there. I also think he’ll be in the 4.6 range but he needs a weight room plus a little more flexibility. I think he’s just as good as Mello at WR. Don’t believe me? Watch his tape in entirety.

My Class:

JaColby George
Mello Brinson
Chase Smith

I’ve been adamant about needing some athletic length on the outside and Mello and Chase are both going to be high 4.4, low 4.5 guys (maybe faster) once they get in this weight room and I think both can be high round picks. I went with JaColby over Eric just because I can’t turn down his hands and I think JaColby is gonna be real fast once he hits the weight room. That’s something that all three hit, hands with athleticism. They won’t drop balls and that’s something we’ve struggled with last year. Bunch of high floor/ceiling guys that I think will play in the league.

Great write-up, Z. You don’t think they push for Brashad Smith?

Brooks most likely will keep his commitment to Alabama, it makes Mello a most get. I feel that we need more size at receiver and
Mello and Chase fit the bill. As a third, it is almost pick one, they all to me are similar, each with their own individual pluses.

Advertisement

My Class:

JaColby George
Mello Brinson
Chase Smith

I listened to a few folks about Brashard Smoth who said he’s overrated and then committed to Gators and didn’t bother looking into him further. Finally watched his film and holy crap dude is a playmaker and has speed and we need to lock him up.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Give me George, Brashard Smith, Yulkeith use him on both Defense and Offense, Cut the Curtis guy from Fort Myers, Jaden Alexis, Chase Smith but use him on Defense, Sprinkle either the Northwestern WR/Nabers. That's it...

Moral of this story: This is why I'm not over the recruiting department.

Advertisement
After watching SMU film, I believe our RB2 must be a combo WR/APB. Thus, how about this haul...

RB: Thad Franklin and Brashard Smith
WR: Mello Brinson, Jacolby George and Yul Brown
STK/WR: Chase Smith

JMO...
Nice post bossman. This would be a solid *** haul.

My Class:

JaColby George
Mello Brinson
Chase Smith

Holy **** Chase Smith is a must get. That is the first time I've seen his film. WOW.

Are we actively recruiting him? Kid lives in Gator country unfortunately.

Holy **** Chase Smith is a must get. That is the first time I've seen his film. WOW.

Are we actively recruiting him? Kid lives in Gator country unfortunately.

We offered back in January, he's a Canes legacy being TE Willie Smith son & his HC at Bayside played for Manny at Miss St.

Its unclear if the staff is recruiting him but he has said he likes Miami a lot, if we were to recruit him it would really difficult to not land him, we'd literally have to try not to, but this is Miami & we're the best at making the easiest & most obvious thing the more difficult than it should.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back