Discussion: Transfer portal QB options

Austin Reed - University of West Florida. Won national championship last year as Redshirt Freshman. 13-1 as a starter. He also grew up a canes fan.

Advertisement
Austin Reed - University of West Florida. Won national championship last year as Redshirt Freshman. 13-1 as a starter. He also grew up a canes fan.

Not a bad name ....seen 2 of his games he didnt look too shabby

Advertisement
Just a discussion about who potentially could be our immediate options next year at QB. I, as probably many do, believe that we are probably going big time QB fishing in the portal again so here’s the thread to avoid the inevitable 5 billion that are going to eventually come.

Arkansas St. has a split QB room right now with their starter from last year, Bama transfer Layne Hatcher, and the guy he replaced in Logan Bonner who was hurt. Don’t know why they’re not going with Hatcher after he was a stud for them.

I smell one coming out of OU just a matter of time. If they bench Rattler for Mordecai I think he heads face first into the portal. Mordecai also wouldn’t be a bad option but far from a flashy one.

Oregon is a risk for a transfer

Vols QB Brian Maurer for the most part looks the most likely at the moment being that Jarrett kept the job and they added Harrison Bailey. Florida kid with some talent to boot.

we have UCF...particularly Mackenzie Milton if he somehow doesn’t become the starter again and possibly Darriel Mack.

Kent State star Dustin Crum could look to move to try and play himself in the first round of next years draft and will probably be our most physically talented QB since the QB room of Kelly, Testaverde, Kosar, and Walsh. D’Eriq is the most physically gifted playmaker but Crum will definitely be the biggest legitimate QB talent since that room.

And this one is a bit of a wild card but I could definitely see Malzahn moving on from Bo Nix and going to Chayil Garnett which you would believe would lead to Bo wanting the heck out of dodge.

If I missed a situation mention it. If I missed a player who could want to transfer then mention it so we could discuss.
I don't think most of these guys are better than what we have. I'm ok with a QB transfer, but he has to compete. Comes in 4th on the depth chart until proven. Otherwise, what are you doing with the QBs you've recruited? I'd like to see what Perry, TVD, and Matocha can do after a full season of running the Lashlee offense.

Advertisement
@Cribby @SouthParkCane Do you think us realistically only having Lashlee for another 1-2 years has impacted QB recruiting this year?
I don’t.

Regardless if it’s the portal or a late pickup we’ll get a qb.

As I’ve said to nauseam the staff loves Tvd. He’s the most natural gifted qb on the roster and looks the part. Coaches and players are very excited about him.

Last edited:
Just a discussion about who potentially could be our immediate options next year at QB. I, as probably many do, believe that we are probably going big time QB fishing in the portal again so here’s the thread to avoid the inevitable 5 billion that are going to eventually come.

Arkansas St. has a split QB room right now with their starter from last year, Bama transfer Layne Hatcher, and the guy he replaced in Logan Bonner who was hurt. Don’t know why they’re not going with Hatcher after he was a stud for them.

I smell one coming out of OU just a matter of time. If they bench Rattler for Mordecai I think he heads face first into the portal. Mordecai also wouldn’t be a bad option but far from a flashy one.

Oregon is a risk for a transfer

Vols QB Brian Maurer for the most part looks the most likely at the moment being that Jarrett kept the job and they added Harrison Bailey. Florida kid with some talent to boot.

we have UCF...particularly Mackenzie Milton if he somehow doesn’t become the starter again and possibly Darriel Mack.

Kent State star Dustin Crum could look to move to try and play himself in the first round of next years draft and will probably be our most physically talented QB since the QB room of Kelly, Testaverde, Kosar, and Walsh. D’Eriq is the most physically gifted playmaker but Crum will definitely be the biggest legitimate QB talent since that room.

And this one is a bit of a wild card but I could definitely see Malzahn moving on from Bo Nix and going to Chayil Garnett which you would believe would lead to Bo wanting the heck out of dodge.

If I missed a situation mention it. If I missed a player who could want to transfer then mention it so we could discuss.
Aint a chance in **** Rattler is benched at OU....he's their future 1000%

Auburn will fire Malzhan before Bo Nix is benched. Kid is Auburn through and through (believe his dad is Auburn royalty).

I don’t.

Regardless if it’s the portal of a late pickup we’ll get a qb.

As I’ve said to nauseam the staff loves Tvd. He’s the most natural gifted qb on the roster and looked the part. Coaches and players are very excited about him.

Agreed. I've heard you say it, ad nauseam.

We also need some depth, though. Not sure N'Kosi stays, D'Eriq will be gone with 8 more good games.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Aint a chance in **** Rattler is benched at OU....he's their future 1000%

Auburn will fire Malzhan before Bo Nix is benched. Kid is Auburn through and through (believe his dad is Auburn royalty).
and a Miami legend

patrick-nix-miamijpg-6493a014f23da14b.jpg

I actually would classify Crum as #2. That dude fires anti-air missiles out of that arm and he’s only thrown 2 picks. Look him up bro, you’ll be surprised how good the kid is.

I also would prefer for Van Dyke to take reins but I also want him to have a full grasp and be physically ready. A lot of people forget that he was a pitcher just last December.
TVD hasn't picked up anything but a football since May 2019, will be 20 in March and is 6'4 2020 per the roster sheet. He will be 20 and half first game of 2021. How long you want the kid to wait?

Advertisement
Back