Discussion: Transfer portal QB options

Advertisement
Crum, Milton, Mack, O'Hara, Thomas. Were none of these QBs deemed worthy of recruiting by UM out of HS? And, there's likely another half dozen QBs playing in lower-level FBS and even FCS schools who are better than who we recruited out of HS. ****, maybe more.

Do we want to become known as a program who is not that interested in HS QBs (as we focus on transfers)? Downside of that, if any? Personally, I like that approach to the extent you've seen what the kid can do at a college level.

Just a discussion about who potentially could be our immediate options next year at QB. I, as probably many do, believe that we are probably going big time QB fishing in the portal again so here’s the thread to avoid the inevitable 5 billion that are going to eventually come.

Arkansas St. has a split QB room right now with their starter from last year, Bama transfer Layne Hatcher, and the guy he replaced in Logan Bonner who was hurt. Don’t know why they’re not going with Hatcher after he was a stud for them.

I smell one coming out of OU just a matter of time. If they bench Rattler for Mordecai I think he heads face first into the portal. Mordecai also wouldn’t be a bad option but far from a flashy one.

Oregon is a risk for a transfer

Vols QB Brian Maurer for the most part looks the most likely at the moment being that Jarrett kept the job and they added Harrison Bailey. Florida kid with some talent to boot.

we have UCF...particularly Mackenzie Milton if he somehow doesn’t become the starter again and possibly Darriel Mack.

Kent State star Dustin Crum could look to move to try and play himself in the first round of next years draft and will probably be our most physically talented QB since the QB room of Kelly, Testaverde, Kosar, and Walsh. D’Eriq is the most physically gifted playmaker but Crum will definitely be the biggest legitimate QB talent since that room.

And this one is a bit of a wild card but I could definitely see Malzahn moving on from Bo Nix and going to Chayil Garnett which you would believe would lead to Bo wanting the heck out of dodge.

If I missed a situation mention it. If I missed a player who could want to transfer then mention it so we could discuss.
I would say that this thread is best after the season when decisions have been made by King, etc. It’s only week 5.

Auburn will move on from Gus before Gus moves on from Nix.

I would love to see some kind of proof that Riley prefers another QB on the roster other than Rattler. Mordecai has been in Riley’s system a year longer than Rattler and even appeared in games for the Sooners before this year and couldn’t impress Riley to name him the starter over Rattler.
They’ll run him out of town there if anybody but Rattler plays at this point. He really does like Mordecai though

Advertisement
Am I the only one that believes VT is gonna have some guys leave? That transfer from Oregon has looked decent. I didn’t watch them last week so idk who played. Did Hooker come back and take over his starting spot? If he did, it’s hard to imagine a kid transferring in to be a backup

Just a discussion about who potentially could be our immediate options next year at QB. I, as probably many do, believe that we are probably going big time QB fishing in the portal again so here’s the thread to avoid the inevitable 5 billion that are going to eventually come.

Arkansas St. has a split QB room right now with their starter from last year, Bama transfer Layne Hatcher, and the guy he replaced in Logan Bonner who was hurt. Don’t know why they’re not going with Hatcher after he was a stud for them.

I smell one coming out of OU just a matter of time. If they bench Rattler for Mordecai I think he heads face first into the portal. Mordecai also wouldn’t be a bad option but far from a flashy one.

Vols QB Brian Maurer for the most part looks the most likely at the moment being that Jarrett kept the job and they added Harrison Bailey. Florida kid with some talent to boot.

we have UCF...particularly Mackenzie Milton if he somehow doesn’t become the starter again and possibly Darriel Mack.

Kent State star Dustin Crum could look to move to try and play himself in the first round of next years draft and will probably be our most physically talented QB since the QB room of Kelly, Testaverde, Kosar, and Walsh. D’Eriq is the most physically gifted playmaker but Crum will definitely be the biggest legitimate QB talent since that room.

And this one is a bit of a wild card but I could definitely see Malzahn moving on from Bo Nix and going to Chayil Garnett which you would believe would lead to Bo wanting the heck out of dodge.

If I missed a situation mention it. If I missed a player who could want to transfer then mention it so we could discuss.

Jim Kelly's last year at Miami was 1982.

Bernie Kosar's last year at Miami was 1984.

Steve Walsh's first year at Miami was 1985.

Advertisement
Great. You are the second person to say that. Provide that information.
Which info? I spend a lot of time in Norman and around the team my brother recently transferred out of there but we have two family members on the team. I also work with a 7 on 7 team that has “pushed” a lot of talent to Oklahoma. These are all just things I heard I’ve never actually heard Lincoln say those things but I’ve been at practices

Crum, Milton, Mack, O'Hara, Thomas. Were none of these QBs deemed worthy of recruiting by UM out of HS? And, there's likely another half dozen QBs playing in lower-level FBS and even FCS schools who are better than who we recruited out of HS. ****, maybe more.

Do we want to become known as a program who is not that interested in HS QBs (as we focus on transfers)? Downside of that, if any? Personally, I like that approach to the extent you've seen what the kid can do at a college level.

Oklahoma has killed the transfer market for years, didn't hurt them signing high school kids.

Georgia took 2 different big time transfers this year and they're signing the #1 high school QB.

If you bring in transfers and light it up, you won't have a problem pulling kids.

Advertisement

- Both suck. I bet on Ark State on saturday and they couldnt move the ball on Coastal Carolina.

Im good

- Spencer Rattler isnt going anywhere. Freshman who aint coming across the country and he is being coached by a guy that gets qb to the league

- Didnt really recruit Maurer coming out. Dont see the change

-Darriel Mack is Jarren Williams lite. Milton career may be over he may be a coach. But you dont rehab a guy thats gonna bolt

Not sure if you know but Pat Nix (our former coach) is a former Auburn qb...His son likely was promised that job when he was 6 years old. They are legacies and iant going anywhre.

I dont see a realistic qb on your list. If those were the options i would just run with Nkosi

Advertisement
I would prefer that to and Crum is getting more than some draft buzz. Like I said in the op, he’s got a chance to play himself into the 1st round if he transfers. Don’t think he’ll get that buzz at Kent State.

I gotta check out O’Hara though. Haven’t heard that name before.
O'Hara has been garbage this year, even got benched. HARD PASS.

Competition is good. Let's assume King leaves and Miami wants 4 quality QBs on the rooster. Matocha should be encouraged to transfer somewhere he can play.

Here's what I think would be ideal:
1. TVD
2. Elite QB transfer (TBD)
3. Perry
4. Milton (it's a high risk/high reward, but you are essentially swapping Matocha- who will never see the field, for Milton, who could return to being a star if his recovery was successful)

The backdrop of this all -- CFB is about to put forth the proposal on one-time transfers next week. There's going to be a LOT of movement in January if that's effective for 2021-2022. No need to be limited to grad transfers anymore.

Advertisement
Back