Disconnect

You did and have and he’d be better than Gattis but didn’t he fail at his last stop? I can’t recall. I see he’s at FIU now which I haven’t followed so how’s that gone - aside from better than UM? Lol
FIU have been a floundering program. I'm not sure how to evaluate anything they are doing.

Advertisement
Kevin Smith the only one I see on TV looking like he coaching.

He and little man would be the only 2 offensive staff I would for sure keep. Wouldn’t be mad at TE coach too.
Kevin Smith GIF by MIRAMAX

I not only can't upvote this enough....but I believe this 100%...and was scared of this from jumpstreet. @RVACane we talked about this several times. @The Franchise you were right once again. You simply CANNOT come in with that "I played at UM....and I'm coming Home with not only a vengeance, but a My way or the Highway, closed mind BS"...What f-ing Good to Elite OC, (meaning they've been successful with coaches under them, and have developed relationships on and off the field) doesn't have people in mind, that he'd be ecstatic to have them come with him??..you'd think Mario would have been elated.....Luigi needs to remember where he came from in the coaching ranks...and how important it is to have a quality staff immediately....especially in today's game. GREAT staffs are priority #1...without that, you're dead in the water.
Preach GIF

Advertisement
Seems like it's pretty simple, Mario needs to move on from the majority of the offensive staff. Fire Ponce and Gattis. Let Mirabal,Smith and Field come back and **** I'll be fine with keeping the entire defensive staff, I actually saw development from last year with them. On offense literally no one has improved! No way in **** can Mario justify this and if he doesn't move on from multiple offensive coaches then I'm out on Mario.
you dont let anyone on the fired coordinator side of the ball come back unless the new OC says yes.

I guess Salave’a is our designated conduit to the Uso crowd which certainly has value. It was known that he wasn’t much of a recruiter though, no? I can’t remember. Now, re. Wright, isn’t he known as a good bagman on the trail. To your point, if he’s not providing that(or enhanced access to TX) then what is his value as I presume he’s not a technician(?). Does Taylor not want to be on field coach? Is he capable of teaching?
I mean d-line has been our best unit

Does Mario have to get the next OC hire right? Do you see him surviving if the next OC hire is a bad one, meaning we remain one of the worst offenses in the conference for the next two years? When you look at what happened with Scott Frost, an offensive guy, there really is no certainty that Mario gets it right.

Advertisement
Does Mario have to get the next OC hire right? Do you see him surviving if the next OC hire is a bad one, meaning we remain one of the worst offenses in the conference for the next two years? When you look at what happened with Scott Frost, an offensive guy, there really is no certainty that Mario gets it right.
I would say this OC hire is make or break. Optics of firing a Broyles award winner isn’t good, but results tell a different story. Gattis is a fraud

There is no way he or this program survives if we make another poor OC hire. At some point we need to build continuity between staff and players. They can’t be learning a new system every year.

You have to hire a known commodity. Some who can make it happen. I wouldn’t even gamble on a guy like Riley. It’s too late in the game for guessing.

Top 5 in no particular order:

Longo UNC
Ruggerio WF
Sowder KS
Anae SU
Grub UW

UTSA has been crushing it in all major categories. I don’t know much about their staff but that offense is nasty.

I would say this OC hire is make or break. Optics of firing a Broyles award winner isn’t good, but results tell a different story. Gattis is a fraud

There is no way he or this program survives if we make another poor OC hire. At some point we need to build continuity between staff and players. They can’t be learning a new system every year.

You have to hire a known commodity. Some who can make it happen. I wouldn’t even gamble on a guy like Riley. It’s too late in the game for guessing.

Top 5 in no particular order:

Longo UNC
Ruggerio WF
Sowder KS
Anae SU
Grub UW

UTSA has been crushing it in all major categories. I don’t know much about their staff but that offense is nasty.

No Mullen? He's actually available. He is more proven than all those guys IMO. He has name recognition.

Advertisement
From what I heard...there were multiple OC interviews with OCs who wanted to bring in some of their guys, and Luigi passed....
The thing that I don’t get is that the guy was a coordinator and surrounded himself and he should know that he’s not Nick Saban yet and that coordinators want some of their own guys it’s probably a good idea to help implement their system. I never really understood why he went down this path

We need to create a minimum of two vacancies on the offensive staff. I firmly believe/know that’s already happened (just waiting for the season to end).

For the right candidate, I’d create one or two additional vacancies and let my new OC bring in ”his guys” (up to 4 slots) for continuity and cohesion.

With that said, no way I hire a first time OC. That means no Hartline, etc. We cannot afford for somebody to learn on the job. The hire must have an exciting offense that is predicated on space and pace and bring with him a proven record of success. It doesn’t have to be a P5 coordinator. Just somebody whose scheme has a record of success. Jason Candle at Toledo (I know he’s the head coach) would be great and he can bring Kevin Beard to coach WRs. Andrew Sowder at Kent State is another creative offensive mind that would do well here.
candle already said no last ear

Advertisement
Not only did he not want to allow OC's to bring in there own guys, he wanted to have an input on scheme so that the run game was front and center. Good luck getting any OC worth a **** being okay with the above.
I said that this was the likely scenario months ago, but the Mario defenders kept on only blaming Gattis.

It was obvious from the get go that Gattis was running Mario’s preferred scheme.

Mario is looking more and more incompetent by the minute.

Advertisement
Back