Disconnect

Does Mario have to get the next OC hire right? Do you see him surviving if the next OC hire is a bad one, meaning we remain one of the worst offenses in the conference for the next two years? When you look at what happened with Scott Frost, an offensive guy, there really is no certainty that Mario gets it right.
Not only in the conference, but in the nation. I’ve watched the Canes for 43 years, through the ups and downs, and have never before seen the absolute disaster that has been put on display by Mario and Gattis.

Advertisement
Nick Saban changes coaches every season and i'm sure they don't always get along; he wins by over-talenting (which starts with recruiting) and out-resourcing the competition. I'm not debating anything on this thread, but the talent on the roster needs to improve first and foremost.

The coaching issues are a bit overblown when players have opportunities but can't execute simple pitch & catch. Better players will make everything & everyone look better. The best coaches in the world would do exactly what Mario is doing; get through the season as competitively as possible and improve the roster in the offseason..

There's really no shortcutting the process.

Last edited:
From what I heard...there were multiple OC interviews with OCs who wanted to bring in some of their guys, and Luigi passed....

No way Mirabal is moved to off-field, so that leaves Feld, Ponce, and Smith. Feld seems like the obvious first cut since he's done off-field several times and doesn't have the ties. Smith, seems like he's doing well though, but no ties. Ponce is obviously his boy. But yeah, I think you got to let a guy bring in his own guys or at least have real input on who comes in, staff was basically in place before Gattis was hired, same with the D.

It's not all on Gattis. Ponce has done the QB room no favors. All season the QBs have not been able to figure out where to go with the ball and that's on him.

We have coaches checked out that know they’re gone. Same with players. It is what it is.
Someone said that Mirabal was checked out too. I don't know how factual that is but is it possible that Mario would cut Mirabal loose after 1 season? That would be shocking to me.

Advertisement
The cost of those extremely conservative decisions at A&M has been extremely high. An unrelenting determination to win has to be part of the culture of the program. As a coach, it's better to fail trying (and following the decision tree provided by Analytics) than send a message that "losing is ok as long as we keep it close." A&M has had a tough year. They were beatable. We settled for way too many FGs instead of throwing into the end zone. Those decisions have unquestionably had a ripple effect throughout the rest of the year.
Right on point brother.

At this F-ing point and for 2yrs I've said, and @RVACane will attest, give David Yost a call...and before anyone says sh*t about FIU now....the guy has worked with alot of Athletic QBs...and has developed them....Blaine Gabbert, Chase Daniels, and Brad Smith at Missouri...and Jordan Love. Players Love him. Go Google David Yost, and read his credentials both Passing, and surprisingly his rush attack. You'd get him cheaper than $1.8 million.
I was just talking to a friend about hiring a new OC and I brought up Yost. I would love to have him but Rad needs to keep Mario on a leash if it is to work. Give Yost full autonomy and get the **** out of the way!

I was just talking to a friend about hiring a new OC and I brought up Yost. I would love to have him but Rad needs to keep Mario on a leash if it is to work. Give Yost full autonomy and get the **** out of the way!
His offenses were Sick....he studied under Leach and Gary Pinkle to boot. Look at his Offenses throughout his career.

Advertisement
No....he did not say no....it was Mario,...Candle wanted to bring in some of his guys, and Mario passed.
Just unbelievable what an idiot he is for passing on Candle for that reason. I was also deeply concerned about this aspect of Mario's personality from the get but I thought he would be smarter than that. I was wrong. Dead wrong.

His offenses were Sick....he studied under Leach and Gary Pinkle to boot. Look at his Offenses throughout his career.
I love his offensive style. I've also been wanting to ask you about a comment you made a few days ago. Someone said Mario is in deep **** if he doesn't nail the next OC hire. You replied that he is already in deep ****. Do you think that Mario is toast already? Do you think he has any shot of turning this thing around? I think he has an opportunity to get things on track but now after reading how many OC's he ran off with his ground and pound fetish and micromanaging ways I'm not sure. Can he be convinced to be a CEO and give his coordinators full autonomy?

I love his offensive style. I've also been wanting to ask you about a comment you made a few days ago. Someone said Mario is in deep **** if he doesn't nail the next OC hire. You replied that he is already in deep ****. Do you think that Mario is toast already? Do you think he has any shot of turning this thing around? I think he has an opportunity to get things on track but now after reading how many OC's he ran off with his ground and pound fetish and micromanaging ways I'm not sure. Can he be convinced to be a CEO and give his coordinators full autonomy?
Not losing his job Deep-Sh*t....but Deep Sh*t nonetheless....he better change his philosophy quick...because his hires have been tragically bad.

I said that this was the likely scenario months ago, but the Mario defenders kept on only blaming Gattis.

It was obvious from the get go that Gattis was running Mario’s preferred scheme.

Mario is looking more and more incompetent by the minute.
Mario's TOs give away the secret that everybody knows but isn't willing to say..... he is just a trench warrior with more passion than brains.
He needs smart people around him or he is sunk.

Advertisement

It's not all on Gattis. Ponce has done the QB room no favors. All season the QBs have not been able to figure out where to go with the ball and that's on him.

Pictures can be deceptive.... a picture just a second later can seem like a bunch are open... doesn't mean the QB can throw to them

Pictures can be deceptive.... a picture just a second later can seem like a bunch are open... doesn't mean the QB can throw to them
I am a season ticket holder, and I have seen this live in person all season. There are guys open. The QBs just don't know where to go with the ball. All of them have been guilty of this. QB play has been horrendous and QB coach has to be held accountable too.

Just unbelievable what an idiot he is for passing on Candle for that reason. I was also deeply concerned about this aspect of Mario's personality from the get but I thought he would be smarter than that. I was wrong. Dead wrong.

One of two things have to be true for Mario not to fail here and be fired in the same time as Manny.

1. Either this is false and there has been much embellishment.

2. It is true but Mario is not so stubborn that he would do this again.

Because if that is truly who he is and or will not change, there is a high probability he fails unless he somehow recruits at a level unseen since Butch.

Advertisement
There’s people in this fanbase that have sworn up and down all year that there’s “guys wide open” in this scheme. It’s Richt 2.0

The all 22 is incredibly deceptive. Especially when you have an oc that’s a receivers coach and a qb coach who is clearly not transferring what is seen in the all 22 to the qbs at field level.

Our fanbase is pathetic when sticking up for coaches. It’s unbelievable the excuses I’ve seen for gattis and the entire O staff as a whole.

There’s people in this fanbase that have sworn up and down all year that there’s “guys wide open” in this scheme. It’s Richt 2.0

The all 22 is incredibly deceptive. Especially when you have an oc that’s a receivers coach and a qb coach who is clearly not transferring what is seen in the all 22 to the qbs at field level.

Our fanbase is pathetic when sticking up for coaches. It’s unbelievable the excuses I’ve seen for gattis and the entire O staff as a whole.
It's also nice to sit up in the stands and say guys are open, but the quarterback isn't in the stands. He could be running for his life, have his vision blocked by linemen, etc.

Advertisement
Back