Diaz : Liked / Accepted Versus Feared / Respected — Can He Evolve To Latter?

Did he really have a choice? Sure he gets credit for pulling the trigger but it’s an easy thing to do when your Offense is literally one of the worst in the entire nation and you’re losing games that could cost you your job.

When your starting QB is getting high before a game and partying, that tells me leadership (coaches) is not respected. One thing I do know, it all starts at the top.
He fired people when hired

Advertisement
Speaking of Pete Carroll, I had a chance to get to know USC's head equipment manager at the time (Tino Dominguez) really good guy, was a boxing fan, and we had a mutual friend, who brought him to the Wild Card Boxing Club to hang out. So we got to talking about football and USC

now this was right before one of his last years before he bolted for Seattle. Someone asked Tino if Carroll ever had to scream, or got in players faces. And he answered that he had never seen it. In fact, Carroll was overwhelmingly positive most of the time.

Now, this was when USC had like 7 or 8 high school All-American running backs (CJ GAble, Marc Tyler, Stefan Johnson, etc) and basically if anyone agitated him, that he would just plug in a Joe McKnight (who was a all-world 5-star recruit back then) onto the field -- and the message would be sent.

That was his form of discipline. No real yelling, or threatening -- just the depth chart

I wonder if that's how Diaz becomes that leader/CEO we all want.

BTW, equipment managers and support staff at all programs, they really know where the bodies are buried, lol. The stories they have.

YOU GUYS ARE FUNNY LOL NO HOOD KIDS FINNA BE SCARED OF AN OLD WHITE GUY THAT AIN'T GONE NEVER HAPPEN THEM KIDS AIN'T SCARED OF NICK SABAN THEY RESPECT HIS TRACK RECORD AND THEY PUT UP WITH THE BULLSHYT BECAUSE 100K IN YOUR PARENTS HANDS WHEN YOU 18 IS GOOD MONEY WHEN YOU NEVER HAD THAT MUCH BEFORE......

YOU ALL LIKED BUTCH DAVIS NEXT TIME ONE OF YOU TALK TO ED REED ASK HIM HOW MANY TIMES THE PLAYERS TOLD BUTCH TO " SHUT UP CRACKER AND GET OUT OF OUR LOCKER ROOM" WHEN **** WASN'T GOING WELL THEM BOYS FIXED THAT **** THEMSELVES.

THIS SOUNDS LIKE SOME SLAVE **** FEAR OF WHAT? NAH **** THAT YOU EARN THE RESPECT OF YOUR TEAM BY SHOWING THEM RESULTS. YOU AIN'T FINNA SCARE NOBODY INTO DOING A FUQ THING.

Warren Sapp said he had so much respect for Tony Dungy he was afraid of letting him down. Dungy may have come off mild tempered on the sideline but was hard on the defense in meetings, the film room, the practice field. Standards were high. Players were held accountable.

Manny’s demeanor is irrelevant.

The players don’t fear of the consequences of repeat poor performances.

YOU GUYS ARE FUNNY LOL NO HOOD KIDS FINNA BE SCARED OF AN OLD WHITE GUY THAT AIN'T GONE NEVER HAPPEN THEM KIDS AIN'T SCARED OF NICK SABAN THEY RESPECT HIS TRACK RECORD AND THEY PUT UP WITH THE BULLSHYT BECAUSE 100K IN YOUR PARENTS HANDS WHEN YOU 18 IS GOOD MONEY WHEN YOU NEVER HAD THAT MUCH BEFORE......

YOU ALL LIKED BUTCH DAVIS NEXT TIME ONE OF YOU TALK TO ED REED ASK HIM HOW MANY TIMES THE PLAYERS TOLD BUTCH TO " SHUT UP CRACKER AND GET OUT OF OUR LOCKER ROOM" WHEN **** WASN'T GOING WELL THEM BOYS FIXED THAT **** THEMSELVES.

THIS SOUNDS LIKE SOME SLAVE **** FEAR OF WHAT? NAH **** THAT YOU EARN THE RESPECT OF YOUR TEAM BY SHOWING THEM RESULTS. YOU AIN'T FINNA SCARE NOBODY INTO DOING A FUQ THING.
Aint NO player EVER told Butch "Shut up Cracker"...and get out of the Locker Room at UM...

Advertisement
Good read, I think this is near sighted in regards to approach. Bottom line in my opinion is this... whether people like and clamor for it or not. Manny’s approach as a players coach and NOT as a heartless dictator who overly scrutinizes every false start and missed assignment is the right approach in football going forward. “Old School Miami Fans” may not like it but it’s how society is trending towards. I don’t perceive Dabo personally in the same realm as Saban, which is why once saban leaves, bama fans will be assaulting him with money to go back to his alma mater. Sabans leadership style is toxic and not effective in the long run but gets results right now. Manny’s is far more beneficial.
**before you or anyone else starts the nonsensical “snowflake” speak, I’m active duty military for the past 10+ years and this is the culture that the military is switching to.** That full metal jacket ******* drill instructor leadership isn’t being embraced by this new generation at all. Manny is ahead of the curve on a trend you’ll start seeing sooner rather than later IMO
It's not about being a nice guy OR be an ***hole. You can still be far from being a metal jacket ***hole drill instructor but still be disciplinarian coach who players fear his punishment when repeatedly ******** up. You can demand respect without being ***hole. Dabo who you think has the right approach, did not let a player get on the team bus with the team because his stupid selfish penalty caused the team 15 yards. The player had to find his own ride back from the stadium.

But you can't be effective disciplinarian if you worry about players not liking you or if you want to be "accepted" by the team. Something we heard repeatedly about Manny's personality. Amari Carter get ejected every game for targeting and still starts? What would it take for him to learn how to improve his technique?

Aint NO player EVER told Butch "Shut up Cracker"...and get out of the Locker Room at UM...
Actually Brett Romberg told the opposite. He specifically mentioned how players suddenly got on their best behavior when they notice Davis even approaching Greentree practice field out of fear of him.

Actually Brett Romberg told the opposite. He specifically mentioned how players suddenly got on their best behavior when they notice Davis even approaching Greentree practice field out of fear of him.
Oh trust me....Im well aware...Lol at a UM player telling Butch "Shut up Cracker"...and get out of the Locker room.....ask @dsddcane what would happen if someone had the balls to say that to Butch....or for that matter Sarge....

Last edited:
Advertisement
Guys, Nick Saban really isn't an *******. That's a popular misconception from people who don't listen to his interviews. He's a normal guy. Even a little mellow. He pops off like all coaches do(should). But this dictator with a bullwhip thing is just funny.

Manny is pretty much doing everything right. He's developing his coaching style on the fly. Their are going to be some hiccups but if you keep doing the right things, good results should follow.

If all you had to do was punish bad behavior to make kids play smart then every kid in America would be disciplined. Punishment is almost always the first recourse after correction. And it probably fails more often than it works. Real leaders look at themselves when their followers aren't succeeding. Maybe that's why they aren't just screaming at the kids when they make a mistake.

One thing you can say about Manny is that he's humble enough to go to the Greats, JJ for coaching advise and to Ed Reed for championship mentality and presence. He's hungry to be the one that brings Miami back.

I think when it comes to Manny and punishment specifically with Amari Carter situation. I think Manny believe some of those calls are unwarranted that's why the punishment isn't an as severe. Depth is another issue, Gurvan Hall may not know the coverages like Carter does. you can't just sit someone if you're a new head coach and it make cost you a game.

Guys, Nick Saban really isn't an *******. That's a popular misconception from people who don't listen to his interviews. He's a normal guy. Even a little mellow. He pops off like all coaches do(should). But this dictator with a bullwhip thing is just funny.

Manny is pretty much doing everything right. He's developing his coaching style on the fly. Their are going to be some hiccups but if you keep doing the right things, good results should follow.

If all you had to do was punish bad behavior to make kids play smart then every kid in America would be disciplined. Punishment is almost always the first recourse after correction. And it probably fails more often than it works. Real leaders look at themselves when their followers aren't succeeding. Maybe that's why they aren't just screaming at the kids when they make a mistake.

One thing you can say about Manny is that he's humble enough to go to the Greats, JJ for coaching advise and to Ed Reed for championship mentality and presence. He's hungry to be the one that brings Miami back.
#1....Saban is not only an *******....but a Large one...
#2....If Diaz went to JJ for Coaching advice....he **** sure ain't listening

THAT SURPRISES YOU HUH LOL ASK E REED SEND HIM AN EMAIL. IF HIM IF HE REMEMBER WHEN NATE WEBSTER TOLD BUTCH TO SHUT THE FU.CK UP CRACKER . HE'S GOING TO SAY HOW YOU KNOW ABOUT THAT? IT'S FUNNY HOW PEOPLE WHO HAD NO DIRECT TIE TO THE HISTORY OTHER THAN WATCHING IT ON TV TRY TO CONVINCE OTHERS OF SOME **** THAT'S NOT TRUE. I'M NOT ASKING YOU I'M TELLING YOU

Advertisement
Manny doesn’t need to berate his players to earn respect. Besides, it ain’t gonna work with that lisp of his.

But I do question what the consequences are for players either not good enough or not dedicated enough. When the WR room is declared an open competition and Wiggins still ends up having the most snaps he’s just begging for his motivational talks to be tuned out. When Amari Carter continues to be one of the dumbest ************’s in this program’s history and is still captain and starter, it shows you don’t have to learn from your mistakes. If players don’t get pulled after making horrendous mistakes, it shows no one’s job is on the line.

Manny seems OK being walked all over on so long as there’s a lesson he could teach the players after they wipe all the mud on his face.

He fired people when hired

i do like the argument where people make that manny was forced to do this or that. we had a coach refuse to fire a DC after the worst defenses in the history of miami football year in and year out. no one is forcing any HC to do anything they dont want to here.

Manny doesn’t need to berate his players to earn respect. Besides, it ain’t gonna work with that lisp of his.

But I do question what the consequences are for players either not good enough or not dedicated enough. When the WR room is declared an open competition and Wiggins still ends up having the most snaps he’s just begging for his motivational talks to be tuned out. When Amari Carter continues to be one of the dumbest ************’s in this program’s history and is still captain and starter, it shows you don’t have to learn from your mistakes. If players don’t get pulled after making horrendous mistakes, it shows no one’s job is on the line.

Manny seems OK being walked all over on so long as there’s a lesson he could teach the players after they wipe all the mud on his face.

so regarding the WR room, it is importnat to note that two kids who wouldve eaten out of wiggins snaps didnt play due to covid. also, they have to prove it during the week in their consistency. they cant just have a few plays where they look great and then the majority where they don't (in practice obviously). im done with wiggins too and think Smith will eventually take his spot, but those kids trying to his spot are still just freshmen and fresh with no spring or summer.

Advertisement
I think u can be a players coach but u also have to be strict as well to be disciplined u can’t be just a nice guy the players will destroy u

Real talk.

A lot of people here haven’t been around black people, even though they pretend to, especially black people from the hood. They will not be scared of midget Saban or stuttering Butch. The only thing they can do is fūck with their playing time.

But these people here act like these white midget coaches getting in these young men’s faces strikes fear in their hearts. It doesn’t. Just because it might scare the majority of the coddled pussies here, and make them **** in their pretty pink panties, it won’t scare these kids.

Real talk.

A lot of people here haven’t been around black people, even though they pretend to, especially black people from the hood. They will not be scared of midget Saban or stuttering Butch. The only thing they can do is fūck with their playing time.

But these people here act like these white midget coaches getting in these young men’s faces strikes fear in their hearts. It doesn’t. Just because it might scare the majority of the coddled pussies here, and make them **** in their pretty pink panties, it won’t scare these kids.

Well TrumpyCane is scared of Dan Mullen, he might try to sic Megan on me and give me the COVID or worse her STD ridden ******

Advertisement
Back