Diaz : Liked / Accepted Versus Feared / Respected — Can He Evolve To Latter?

I don’t know if Manny ends up being a good leader or not. The jury is out. He is showing some negative traits superficially, but the verdict is NOT in.

I do know you have no idea what it takes to be a good leader, based on your facile posts. So your opinion is of no value to me.
My resume and business would beg to differ but you’re entitled to your opinion. I’ve learned from some of the best in my industry’s. Weak personal jab. Carry on comparing Diaz and Dabo. I’m sure you’ll find what you’re looking for.

Advertisement
Good read, I think this is near sighted in regards to approach. Bottom line in my opinion is this... whether people like and clamor for it or not. Manny’s approach as a players coach and NOT as a heartless dictator who overly scrutinizes every false start and missed assignment is the right approach in football going forward. “Old School Miami Fans” may not like it but it’s how society is trending towards. I don’t perceive Dabo personally in the same realm as Saban, which is why once saban leaves, bama fans will be assaulting him with money to go back to his alma mater. Sabans leadership style is toxic and not effective in the long run but gets results right now. Manny’s is far more beneficial.
**before you or anyone else starts the nonsensical “snowflake” speak, I’m active duty military for the past 10+ years and this is the culture that the military is switching to.** That full metal jacket ******* drill instructor leadership isn’t being embraced by this new generation at all. Manny is ahead of the curve on a trend you’ll start seeing sooner rather than later IMO
My cousin was just promoted to LT. Colonel. He was respected from early on as he’s a West Point Graduate.

With that being said, he’s not a drill sergeant type, but he’s respected and it’s not by trying to be buddy buddy. He led by example, first.

My problem w Manny is his poor example; I had a problem w him with the MVP award after a loss last season. I further had a problem when he said he had no idea about that award. I had a problem with him celebrating like a kid after scraping by CMU last season.

This off season, I thought he may have turned a corner, and then the season started....he’s puffing cigars after beating arguably the worst FSU squad in yrs, slip & sliding after struggling against a no QB UVA s where we needed a PI to semi seal the game.

I don’t believe leaders are made; I believe u have to have something within you that can be developed. A leader can’t worry about being liked, failing, or opinions. Imo, Manny is too consumed w/ how he’s viewed and he says things he doesn’t even belief, but he knows it sounds good. Most likely he got that from his father.

Case in point; Manny got us all pumped when he said ‘either come to The U or get ur *** kicked.’ He also said ‘our team will play a full 60 minutes, so if that means we’ll continue to try to score as long as time is on the clock.’ All that chit sounded good, but in reality, that’s not him. Our team still shows mental lapses, and we continue to hear our leader at halftime say things like “We weren’t prepared for that, so we’ll have to make adjustments.”

Manny has been here 5 yrs; he may be a 2nd yr HC, but he’s been here for 5 yrs. That means he’s been around majority of these young men there entire time, the moment they signed the dotted line. Let’s all remember that.

Manny isn’t that soft. He’s fired how many coaches?
I do think he comes off as trying to be liked and I don’t like it though
Did he really have a choice? Sure he gets credit for pulling the trigger but it’s an easy thing to do when your Offense is literally one of the worst in the entire nation and you’re losing games that could cost you your job.

When your starting QB is getting high before a game and partying, that tells me leadership (coaches) is not respected. One thing I do know, it all starts at the top.

Saban has won five national titles in 12 years at Alabama.

Its effective in the long run.
Saban's leadership style works in college and college only because his entire roster would flush through within 5 years (in Bama's case, it's probably closer to 4 given early departures for the NFL and transfers).

It would not in the NFL long-term. Players will put up with tough coaches, but not absolute dictators unless they are consistent playoff winners.

Saban's style might reflect in his inability to retain assistants. They seem to cycle through perpetually.

I see Saban and Dabo personality comparisons being made.

When it comes to business, there's not much difference. When Dabo is ****ed, he's ****ed and everyone knows it. Saban, same thing, but the difference is he just never looks happy. You can certainly tell who enjoys the ride more than the other. Saban will never be satisfied, serious glass half empty type. Dabo is clearly glass half full.

Advertisement
Every player is different. Some love the work and the grind and just cant get enough of it.

Others need a swift kick to get their asses going. And that requires a coach that has no problem kicking someones butt.

We gotta get the first ones.

you can have both, but you have to know how to get the most out of each. one style wont work for every player.

Saban's leadership style works in college and college only because his entire roster would flush through within 5 years (in Bama's case, it's probably closer to 4 given early departures for the NFL and transfers).

It would not in the NFL long-term. Players will put up with tough coaches, but not absolute dictators unless they are consistent playoff winners.

Saban's style might reflect in his inability to retain assistants. They seem to cycle through perpetually.

Sabans style flopped as all **** in the NFL bc you cant berate grown *** men who make more money than you. he tried it with Zach and zach told him to **** off essentially.

Did he really have a choice? Sure he gets credit for pulling the trigger but it’s an easy thing to do when your Offense is literally one of the worst in the entire nation and you’re losing games that could cost you your job.

When your starting QB is getting high before a game and partying, that tells me leadership (coaches) is not respected. One thing I do know, it all starts at the top.

dude not many coaches esp at programs that doesnt spend money will fire an OC within their first season after dropping nearly 1.5 mill for him. they'd give him at least another season to fix it. you may hate manny, but that absolutely was a strong move in terms of results.

also, you should see what players do in their off time if you think HCs have that much control dude. the biggest thing is you need a locker room to take care of those things bc if manny or any HC finds out, its too late. a lot of it is on the players within esp the seniors and the leaders of the team to keep everyone in check when it comes to game time.

Advertisement
I see Saban and Dabo personality comparisons being made.

When it comes to business, there's not much difference. When Dabo is ****ed, he's ****ed and everyone knows it. Saban, same thing, but the difference is he just never looks happy. You can certainly tell who enjoys the ride more than the other. Saban will never be satisfied, serious glass half empty type. Dabo is clearly glass half full.
I think that’s an excellent analogy about the difference in Sabag and Dablow. The one thing they have most in common is they will do whatever it takes to win. And we all know what that whatever entails.

My cousin was just promoted to LT. Colonel. He was respected from early on as he’s a West Point Graduate.

With that being said, he’s not a drill sergeant type, but he’s respected and it’s not by trying to be buddy buddy. He led by example, first.

My problem w Manny is his poor example; I had a problem w him with the MVP award after a loss last season. I further had a problem when he said he had no idea about that award. I had a problem with him celebrating like a kid after scraping by CMU last season.

This off season, I thought he may have turned a corner, and then the season started....he’s puffing cigars after beating arguably the worst FSU squad in yrs, slip & sliding after struggling against a no QB UVA s where we needed a PI to semi seal the game.

I don’t believe leaders are made; I believe u have to have something within you that can be developed. A leader can’t worry about being liked, failing, or opinions. Imo, Manny is too consumed w/ how he’s viewed and he says things he doesn’t even belief, but he knows it sounds good. Most likely he got that from his father.

Case in point; Manny got us all pumped when he said ‘either come to The U or get ur *** kicked.’ He also said ‘our team will play a full 60 minutes, so if that means we’ll continue to try to score as long as time is on the clock.’ All that chit sounded good, but in reality, that’s not him. Our team still shows mental lapses, and we continue to hear our leader at halftime say things like “We weren’t prepared for that, so we’ll have to make adjustments.”

Manny has been here 5 yrs; he may be a 2nd yr HC, but he’s been here for 5 yrs. That means he’s been around majority of these young men there entire time, the moment they signed the dotted line. Let’s all remember that.
Absolutely ZERO clue what that has to do with anything with mentioning your cousin. Thank him for his service. Regardless of this, what you clearly missed in my point is that dictator style leadership isn’t manny’s MO. You can’t be a “players coach” (which players former and present clearly embrace) and be losing your mind on them when they miss a tackle. I agree with your points about his tenure here but that is in two very different capacities and the latter is his first ever attempt which will come with growing pains. Does he have politician he embraced from his father? Yes, but what leader who’s pursuing buy in doesnt. Lastly in regards to your cousin. He’s an officer and has less interaction with a large contingent of the force, being the enlisted. He’s dependent on an ENLISTED leader to get the true pulse of the force because your cousin is going to garner respect whether he’s a good leader or not. It’s in the oath of enlistment to follow the orders of the officers appointed. A truly respected officer is one who understands from the rank of lieutenant to rely on your enlisted early and often or they’ll be slapped with the “toxic” label faster than they can say “Manny Diaz is 5-1”
You can’t overly scrutinize a leader enjoying the process as they find their footing. That’s detrimental to their future development and that’s what I applaud about Clemson’s fan base. They gave the WR coach actual room to make mistakes, progress, regress and fix it.
Dabo Swinney’s first 3 full seasons (BEFORE “Clemsoning” was dubbed a term):
2008: 7-6
2009: 9-5
2010: 6-7
This was only 12 years ago.

So what if he celebrated beating CMU, or was slip and sliding in the rain. That’s him enjoying his process, finding his footing. We’re our own worst enemy cause if we don’t get instant gratification in every facet of the game the coach is a loser and won’t be successful according to fans. Be real with yourself.

Man can and has evolved. However, it can take many thousands if knot millions of years for meaningful evolutionary changes to occur.
the shining good point GIF

Advertisement
Who here is an expert on leadership?

How many of you have actual leadership experience?

How many of you have seriously studied the traits that make great leaders, and have read up on the great leaders throughout history in war, politics, business, and sports? Good and bad. Leaders for great and good deeds and leaders for evil.

Now, if any of you have, how do these traits translate, if at all, to being a successful college football coach in 2020 and beyond.

Bottom line: the only thing that determines whether you are a good leader in college football or not, are your results. Not whether some ragamuffin message board cabal says you are.

Whether this board anoints Manny a leader or not is irrelevant. If he gets the results, eventually he will have been a leader. If he doesn’t, he won’t.
1603852423387.gif

I think that’s an excellent analogy about the difference in Sabag and Dablow. The one thing they have most in common is they will do whatever it takes to win. And we all know what that whatever entails.

Another is that Saban is vocal, yells, very animated. Dabo just gives you that look.

One grandfather of mine was the type to just give you a look. The other, he vocalized things. I'm a split between the two with the kids.

My resume and business would beg to differ but you’re entitled to your opinion. I’ve learned from some of the best in my industry’s. Weak personal jab. Carry on comparing Diaz and Dabo. I’m sure you’ll find what you’re looking for.

I wasn’t comparing Manny and Dabo. Not once did I compare or contrast them. I hope you didn’t including reading comprehension/skills in your vaunted entry level resume .

Advertisement
Manny is in an unenviable position; he really hasn't won anything nor proven himself but might have abundant HC qualities. But demonstrating HC "leadership" is perhaps very dependent upon your credentials and situation. He knows fans and boosters and perhaps even BOT are waiting to send him heave-ho if he doesn't succeed big-time and sooner rather than later.

I find it hard to forget Duke's Coach K pulling ALL 5 starters off the floor after a 16-2 start by the basketball Canes 2 years back. But no one really batted an eyelash; could Manny get away with that? Doubtful. Even if it sorta was the right "wake-up" call. (Duke went on to thrash the Canes easily. Then again, their bench was probably arguably better than our starters. Sigh. Manny's situation involves no equivalent "bench".)

Absolutely ZERO clue what that has to do with anything with mentioning your cousin. Thank him for his service. Regardless of this, what you clearly missed in my point is that dictator style leadership isn’t manny’s MO. You can’t be a “players coach” (which players former and present clearly embrace) and be losing your mind on them when they miss a tackle. I agree with your points about his tenure here but that is in two very different capacities and the latter is his first ever attempt which will come with growing pains. Does he have politician he embraced from his father? Yes, but what leader who’s pursuing buy in doesnt. Lastly in regards to your cousin. He’s an officer and has less interaction with a large contingent of the force, being the enlisted. He’s dependent on an ENLISTED leader to get the true pulse of the force because your cousin is going to garner respect whether he’s a good leader or not. It’s in the oath of enlistment to follow the orders of the officers appointed. A truly respected officer is one who understands from the rank of lieutenant to rely on your enlisted early and often or they’ll be slapped with the “toxic” label faster than they can say “Manny Diaz is 5-1”
You can’t overly scrutinize a leader enjoying the process as they find their footing. That’s detrimental to their future development and that’s what I applaud about Clemson’s fan base. They gave the WR coach actual room to make mistakes, progress, regress and fix it.
Dabo Swinney’s first 3 full seasons (BEFORE “Clemsoning” was dubbed a term):
2008: 7-6
2009: 9-5
2010: 6-7
This was only 12 years ago.

So what if he celebrated beating CMU, or was slip and sliding in the rain. That’s him enjoying his process, finding his footing. We’re our own worst enemy cause if we don’t get instant gratification in every facet of the game the coach is a loser and won’t be successful according to fans. Be real with yourself.
Yeah OK;

U guys go way extreme to defend bull chit. Lol. U deserve mediocrity and the chit that comes w it.

Advertisement
Back