Diaz : Liked / Accepted Versus Feared / Respected — Can He Evolve To Latter?

Manny isn’t that soft. He’s fired how many coaches?
I do think he comes off as trying to be liked and I don’t like it though
+1 This is how I feel. He doesn't need to be a Saban-esque hard *** but he needs to stop being their friend. He's the head coach. The relationship mirrors more parent/child...you need to know when to use the hammer and when to use a hug.

Advertisement
Good read, I think this is near sighted in regards to approach. Bottom line in my opinion is this... whether people like and clamor for it or not. Manny’s approach as a players coach and NOT as a heartless dictator who overly scrutinizes every false start and missed assignment is the right approach in football going forward. “Old School Miami Fans” may not like it but it’s how society is trending towards. I don’t perceive Dabo personally in the same realm as Saban, which is why once saban leaves, bama fans will be assaulting him with money to go back to his alma mater. Sabans leadership style is toxic and not effective in the long run but gets results right now. Manny’s is far more beneficial.
**before you or anyone else starts the nonsensical “snowflake” speak, I’m active duty military for the past 10+ years and this is the culture that the military is switching to.** That full metal jacket ******* drill instructor leadership isn’t being embraced by this new generation at all. Manny is ahead of the curve on a trend you’ll start seeing sooner rather than later IMO
Saban’s approach isn’t effective in the long run? He’s going on 15 years or so at bama, and isn’t showing any signs of falling off. I’m not sure how one can argue that his approach is anything but highly effective.

You don't have to be unhinged like Muschamp or the shark focker, but would it kill him to get in someone's face after they ***** up? There's no accountability when the same players get to make the same mistakes and keep their starting roles, captaincy, etc.

Something that irritates the **** out of me is that some think one coach can adopt certain characteristics of another. Be it being a hard *** or rah rah or whatever.

Can a certain coach adopt certain philosophies of another? Sure. But for the most part, one coaches personality will not change based on another’s. DNA is the determining factor of how a coach interacts with his players.

Last edited:
You don't have to be unhinged like Muschamp or the shark focker, but would it kill him to get in someone's face after they ***** up? There's no accountability when the same players get to make the same mistakes and keep their starting roles, captaincy, etc.

All getting in someone’s face does is get you camera time and get old timers like you excited. This isn’t the 40’s - that shlt doesn’t work anymore. People just shut you out and stop listening. You have to confront and explain without the histrionics.

Advertisement
+1 This is how I feel. He doesn't need to be a Saban-esque hard *** but he needs to stop being their friend. He's the head coach. The relationship mirrors more parent/child...you need to know when to use the hammer and when to use a hug.
I don’t know why people think demanding excellence also means being a douche. Carter gets ejected every game. His punishment... the team all does whatever punishment PT is doled out on Sunday. This approach isn’t working here, and it won’t work at all if even the most egregious mistakes aren’t addressed individually.

YOU GUYS ARE FUNNY LOL NO HOOD KIDS FINNA BE SCARED OF AN OLD WHITE GUY THAT AIN'T GONE NEVER HAPPEN THEM KIDS AIN'T SCARED OF NICK SABAN THEY RESPECT HIS TRACK RECORD AND THEY PUT UP WITH THE BULLSHYT BECAUSE 100K IN YOUR PARENTS HANDS WHEN YOU 18 IS GOOD MONEY WHEN YOU NEVER HAD THAT MUCH BEFORE......

YOU ALL LIKED BUTCH DAVIS NEXT TIME ONE OF YOU TALK TO ED REED ASK HIM HOW MANY TIMES THE PLAYERS TOLD BUTCH TO " SHUT UP CRACKER AND GET OUT OF OUR LOCKER ROOM" WHEN **** WASN'T GOING WELL THEM BOYS FIXED THAT **** THEMSELVES.

THIS SOUNDS LIKE SOME SLAVE **** FEAR OF WHAT? NAH **** THAT YOU EARN THE RESPECT OF YOUR TEAM BY SHOWING THEM RESULTS. YOU AIN'T FINNA SCARE NOBODY INTO DOING A FUQ THING.
somehow-that-is-correct-30762628.png

I don’t know why people think demanding excellence also means being a douche. Carter gets ejected every game. His punishment... the team all does whatever punishment PT is doled out on Sunday. This approach isn’t working here, and it won’t work at all if even the most egregious mistakes aren’t addressed individually.
I think the individual ***** ups are being addressed individually. I do have an issue with the entire team paying the price for one individuals ***** up. I've seen with my own eyes that approach does not work. It creates dissention and animosity - especially toward the offender.

When I was playing optimist football, I had a HC who was a disciplinarian. One of his requirements was our hair could not be below our collar. Mine was a few inches below and I refused to cut it. I had to run a lap around the field every day before practise. The point is , I paid the price, not the rest of my team. I was respected for taking my stand and my HC was respected for making me pay and not the rest of the team.

Advertisement
All getting in someone’s face does is get you camera time and get old timers like you excited. This isn’t the 40’s - that shlt doesn’t work anymore. People just shut you out and stop listening. You have to confront and explain without the histrionics.
Yes...confront. Do it constructively or passively. But do it! I never see him coaching anyone up.

I think the individual ***** ups are being addressed individually. I do have an issue with the entire team paying the price for one individuals ***** up. I've seen with my own eyes that approach does not work. It creates dissention and animosity - especially toward the offender.

When I was playing optimist football, I had a HC who was a disciplinarian. One of his requirements was our hair could not be below our collar. Mine was a few inches below and I refused to cut it. I had to run a lap around the field every day before practise. The point is , I paid the price, not the rest of my team. I was respected for taking my stand and my HC was respected for making me pay and not the rest of the team.
I’m not on the team, but it appears this is the case. They do punishment PT as a team and that’s it... when asked about carter, Baker basically shrugged his shoulders and said he has to keep his head up. Listened to a pod this morning, and I couldn’t believe what i was hearing.

I’m not on the team, but it appears this is the case. They do punishment PT as a team and that’s it... when asked about carter, Baker basically shrugged his shoulders and said he has to keep his head up. Listened to a pod this morning, and I couldn’t believe what i was hearing.
What podcast was that?

Advertisement
Saban’s approach isn’t effective in the long run? He’s going on 15 years or so at bama, and isn’t showing any signs of falling off. I’m not sure how one can argue that his approach is anything but highly effective.

at the college level, his approach is great. And yeah, 15 years...

Getting targeting calls are now egregious mistakes?? Y’all have to be ******* kidding rn..

Advertisement
Getting targeting calls are now egregious mistakes?? Y’all have to be ******* kidding rn..
Getting 15 yard penalties + ejected every single game is about as bad as a defensive player can get. Especially considering depth.

Who here is an expert on leadership?

How many of you have actual leadership experience?

How many of you have seriously studied the traits that make great leaders, and have read up on the great leaders throughout history in war, politics, business, and sports? Good and bad. Leaders for great and good deeds and leaders for evil.

Now, if any of you have, how do these traits translate, if at all, to being a successful college football coach in 2020 and beyond.

Bottom line: the only thing that determines whether you are a good leader in college football or not, are your results. Not whether some ragamuffin message board cabal says you are.

Whether this board anoints Manny a leader or not is irrelevant. If he gets the results, eventually he will have been a leader. If he doesn’t, he won’t.

Spot on, but 2/3 of this board thinks Scarface is a documentary.

Advertisement
Back