Diaz : Liked / Accepted Versus Feared / Respected — Can He Evolve To Latter?

ItsAUThing.com

Following 'The U' since '82—covering it since '96.
I know there was some convo about victory cigars weeks back, but on a macro-level—curious what most think about Diaz’s psyche with players and a desire to be like / accepted, versus respected / feared.

Sort of like the “are leaders made or born”—the general consensus is “made”—over time can Diaz morph and age into a type of coach that focus more on respect, as the age gap will grow between he and younger players?

Dabo Swinney wasn’t always the “tough guy” and hard *** he likes to come across as at Clemson. Go back and look at footage earlier in his career as head coach—he was a lot more “aw shucks” and looked all the part of a wide receivers coach promoted (from a failed Bowden regime) to head coach. Now in his 12th season—two titles under his belt, as well as a few championship losses—he’s cashing fat checks and it one of the biggest names in the game.

Swinney has built a culture where players voluntarily get off social media during the season—and would-be first round draft picks (Wilkins, Bryant, Ferrell, etc. years back—Etienne this year) are returning for senior years to compete for titles.

The cigars for a 52-10 win over Florida State was one thing—as f**k you to a rival, when the Canes scored the most-ever in the rivalry and their biggest win over the Noles since 1976. Playing slip-and-slide in the rain after eking out a five-point win over a one-win Virginia—as bush league as the tackling dummies with 7-6 on their chests early 2019, before putting together a 6-7 season.

(Real talk; had Wiggins not drawn that third down pass interference call—Virginia get the ball back, down five with almost two and a half minutes left.)

I’m rooting for Manny—as I don’t think Miami has many answers outside of a defensive-minded local guy who gets the brand and culture—but fundamentally, the type of old school coach that wants to be feared / respected; Saban, modern day Swinney, Meyer—that guy generally goes further (with the right program and personnel, of course—being a hard-*** at a trash school means nothing).

Can Manny close out this season, evolve as a leader and make the tough decisions needed to success—while creating a little separation with each new recruiting class, going from buddy-buddy to respected. (A reminder, this year’s senior and junior classes knew Diaz as a defensive coordinator—a gig where you’re not the top guy and can more of a player’s coach and well-liked, a luxury great head coaches usually aren’t afforded.) Or is this guy at 46 always going to be this guy?

Crazy to think Butch Davis was 42 years old when he took over at Miami—battle tested under Jimmy for 11 years with the Canes and Cowboys. That, and 42 in 1995 felt and looked a **** of a lot older than 44 in late 2018 when Diaz got the reigns. Still, Davis was all business from day one and those kids fell in line fast underneath him.

Attachments

• safe_image.php.jpeg
    safe_image.php.jpeg
    202.1 KB · Views: 47
Advertisement
Good read, I think this is near sighted in regards to approach. Bottom line in my opinion is this... whether people like and clamor for it or not. Manny’s approach as a players coach and NOT as a heartless dictator who overly scrutinizes every false start and missed assignment is the right approach in football going forward. “Old School Miami Fans” may not like it but it’s how society is trending towards. I don’t perceive Dabo personally in the same realm as Saban, which is why once saban leaves, bama fans will be assaulting him with money to go back to his alma mater. Sabans leadership style is toxic and not effective in the long run but gets results right now. Manny’s is far more beneficial.
**before you or anyone else starts the nonsensical “snowflake” speak, I’m active duty military for the past 10+ years and this is the culture that the military is switching to.** That full metal jacket ******* drill instructor leadership isn’t being embraced by this new generation at all. Manny is ahead of the curve on a trend you’ll start seeing sooner rather than later IMO

Mentioning Manny in the same sentence as a guy who’s gonna go down as a top 5 CFB coach of all time makes my brain hurt. It’s not even worth having a discussion about it. Manny is Ron Zook.
Ouch, that hurt, probably because I never thought about it like that and probably because its true.

Advertisement
Manny's already shown he's willing to fire people and he's willing to encourage problem players to transfer. That's already more than the last two guys. He'll likely never be Gen. Patton, but that alone doesn't win games. If it did, Norvell's earring and hoodie ban would have produced results.

Who here is an expert on leadership?

How many of you have actual leadership experience?

How many of you have seriously studied the traits that make great leaders, and have read up on the great leaders throughout history in war, politics, business, and sports? Good and bad. Leaders for great and good deeds and leaders for evil.

Now, if any of you have, how do these traits translate, if at all, to being a successful college football coach in 2020 and beyond.

Bottom line: the only thing that determines whether you are a good leader in college football or not, are your results. Not whether some ragamuffin message board cabal says you are.

Whether this board anoints Manny a leader or not is irrelevant. If he gets the results, eventually he will have been a leader. If he doesn’t, he won’t.

Manny's already shown he's willing to fire people and he's willing to encourage problem players to transfer. That's already more than the last two guys. He'll likely never be Gen. Patton, but that alone doesn't win games. If it did, Norvell's earring and hoodie ban would have produced results.
Problem players to transfer in, or out? Remember, this is the same Manny that went and got Jeff Thomas to come back.

This raises some very valid points regarding Manny, the culture of the program and its future. The best case scenario is Manny, like Dabo, grows into the job and the program/culture evolves with him.
Unfortunately, Manny is having to learn on the job & it's troubling. Believe there is insecurity on his part because he never played the game and initially talked his way into the coaching profession. Not sure how comfortable he is in his own skin and sense he's constantly tweaking how a head coach is supposed to act.
It's ok to protect players with public comments to the media, but ultimately players have to know and see that the head coach is going to hold them accountable. Troubling that it's not seen with Manny. Shocking not to see consequences for in-game brain farts and ***** ups - targeting penalties, offsides, dropped balls, blown assignments, etc. Don't need to toss a headset into the second row of seats, but at least send a message that it's not acceptable, even if it's bringing the player to the sideline for a play or two. And that's everyone, even the better or more established players.
Finally, don't accept or be happy with a horse**** performance like we saw against Virginia. Yeah, standards are so low that it's nice to get a W, but celebrating and sliding in the rain is ridiculous. Not sure the back story on the slide. Did it happen? If the head coach really did that as some form of celebration or to win over players, then the AD needs to call him in his office and read him the riot act. That's more embarrassing than touchdown rings and sideline dancing. Has Miami slipped that far?

Advertisement
Saban has won five national titles in 12 years at Alabama.

Its effective in the long run.

It’s effective for him. Dabo’s style is completely different than Saban’s. Don’t know if Manny is ever going to be effective or not, but without hard data, it only makes sense to be open minded as to to different possible leadership styles that can be effective. Not to say that you can’t be critical of particular things that you find about somebody.

Hard to know what is right, but sure seems like with the amount of dumb mistakes we make every single week and lack of care or focus at times we need someone who can drive some fear into players and demand improvement

Advertisement
It’s effective for him. Dabo’s style is completely different than Saban’s. Don’t know if Manny is ever going to be effective or not, but without hard data, it only makes sense to be open minded as to to different possible leadership styles that can be effective. Not to say that you can’t be critical of particular things that you find about somebody.
Going forward, Dabo's style is probably the better model. The sense is players relate to Dabo and enjoy playing for him. But also wouldn't mistake he & assistants for being soft. He's cut-throat and will get in players' faces, if need be.

Going forward, Dabo's style is probably the better model. The sense is players relate to Dabo and enjoy playing for him. But also wouldn't mistake he & assistants for being soft. He's cut-throat and will get in players' faces, if need be.

My sense of Dabo is that he is less confrontational and less of a “asshöle” to his players. But that’s just based on shallow observations and sideline demeanor. I’m not in the locker room and in his one on ones.

And remember much of a head coach his leadership is exhibited through his assistant coaches, because a head coach probably spends even more time with his assistant coaches then he does one on one with individual players.

Just too many players and too few hours in the day for a HC to spend too much time on individual players. Delegation is the name of the game when you have that many people working for you.

Manny is from that Pete Carroll / Tony Dungy cloth of coaches.

Nobody feared those guys. They're nice dudes. You can succeed without your players being scared of you.

But, with Carroll for example, who by all accounts is a corny goofball, there are consequences for poor play or decisions. He might not chew you out or embarrass you on the sidelines, but he's not going to -- I'm just spit balling here -- continue to play you when you continue to pick up a targeting penalty every got **** game. Guys like Carroll also genuinely thrive on competition. He has a Super Bowl Ring right now (and should have two) bc he had the balls to let Wilson challenge their big free agent QB signee Matt Flynn.

Advertisement
Manny is from that Pete Carroll / Tony Dungy cloth of coaches.

Nobody feared those guys. They're nice dudes. You can succeed without your players being scared of you.

But, with Carroll for example, who by all accounts is a corny goofball, there are consequences for poor play or decisions. He might not chew you out or embarrass you on the sidelines, but he's not going to -- I'm just spit balling here -- continue to play you when you continue to pick up a targeting penalty every got **** game. Guys like Carroll also genuinely thrive on competition. He has a Super Bowl Ring right now (and should have two) bc he had the balls to let Wilson challenge their big free agent QB signee Matt Flynn.

We have no idea what Pete Carrol is like in the locker room, but I get the sense that you are probably right, he’s sort of a New Age goofball that doesn’t get too much in peoples faces.

But I don’t know that to be a fact. Either way it just makes my point that there are there can be different effective leadership styles. But the keyword is “effective“. Unless you get results it doesn’t really matter

Every player is different. Some love the work and the grind and just cant get enough of it.

Others need a swift kick to get their asses going. And that requires a coach that has no problem kicking someones butt.

We gotta get the first ones.

tony dungy or jon gruden? pete carroll or bill o brien? andy reid or tom coughlin? john or jim harbaugh ? everybody personality is different.
everybody has to learn on the job at some point. you could have the best granddad and pops in the world but when you have your own kids you gotta figure it out on yor own.

a lot of yall have NEVER played sports and it shows . it aint rocket science. Changes have to be made thats it RELAX

Carroll and Dabo are rah rah positive guys that are not anything like Saban and even Kirby Smart. I think Diaz is obviously more like Carroll and Dabo from a personality standpoint. You can succeed as a coach with that approach.

I've already posted when Dabo first got the Clemson job, my Brother n law played for him. They thought he was goofy and cornballish, and he didn't have a lot of respect. He made players drop a chip in a bucket that said "All IN" before getting on the bus to go run down the hill. Then his teams would go out and lose at home to a Randy Shannon coached team. If Manny did that now, everyone here would say "GOOFY" "CORNY" "GET OUT OF MY FACE WITH THAT BETA STUFF". He earned respect that he has now as the wins piled up.

Advertisement
Back