Diaz : Liked / Accepted Versus Feared / Respected — Can He Evolve To Latter?

Bringing an NFL coach like Pete Carroll into the conversation is comparing apples and oranges. An NFL coach doesn't necessarily have to get into a player's face. He can be a cornball, cool dude, if he wants. But when he has say over personnel matters like Carroll, he has all the power in the world over a player. He just releases the player's *** on Monday morning and has a replacement on the practice field that afternoon.

Good counter, but does Carroll have a history of this. I don’t know, just asking.

Advertisement
tony dungy or jon gruden? pete carroll or bill o brien? andy reid or tom coughlin? john or jim harbaugh ? everybody personality is different.
everybody has to learn on the job at some point. you could have the best granddad and pops in the world but when you have your own kids you gotta figure it out on yor own.

a lot of yall have NEVER played sports and it shows . it aint rocket science. Changes have to be made thats it RELAX
There's a whole lot of truth here. Everybody has a picture of how they'd handle being a manager, but that has to change as you discover what fits your personality and gets the best results.

I know there was some convo about victory cigars weeks back, but on a macro-level—curious what most think about Diaz’s psyche with players and a desire to be like / accepted, versus respected / feared.

Sort of like the “are leaders made or born”—the general consensus is “made”—over time can Diaz morph and age into a type of coach that focus more on respect, as the age gap will grow between he and younger players?

Dabo Swinney wasn’t always the “tough guy” and hard *** he likes to come across as at Clemson. Go back and look at footage earlier in his career as head coach—he was a lot more “aw shucks” and looked all the part of a wide receivers coach promoted (from a failed Bowden regime) to head coach. Now in his 12th season—two titles under his belt, as well as a few championship losses—he’s cashing fat checks and it one of the biggest names in the game.

Swinney has built a culture where players voluntarily get off social media during the season—and would-be first round draft picks (Wilkins, Bryant, Ferrell, etc. years back—Etienne this year) are returning for senior years to compete for titles.

The cigars for a 52-10 win over Florida State was one thing—as f**k you to a rival, when the Canes scored the most-ever in the rivalry and their biggest win over the Noles since 1976. Playing slip-and-slide in the rain after eking out a five-point win over a one-win Virginia—as bush league as the tackling dummies with 7-6 on their chests early 2019, before putting together a 6-7 season.

(Real talk; had Wiggins not drawn that third down pass interference call—Virginia get the ball back, down five with almost two and a half minutes left.)

I’m rooting for Manny—as I don’t think Miami has many answers outside of a defensive-minded local guy who gets the brand and culture—but fundamentally, the type of old school coach that wants to be feared / respected; Saban, modern day Swinney, Meyer—that guy generally goes further (with the right program and personnel, of course—being a hard-*** at a trash school means nothing).

Can Manny close out this season, evolve as a leader and make the tough decisions needed to success—while creating a little separation with each new recruiting class, going from buddy-buddy to respected. (A reminder, this year’s senior and junior classes knew Diaz as a defensive coordinator—a gig where you’re not the top guy and can more of a player’s coach and well-liked, a luxury great head coaches usually aren’t afforded.) Or is this guy at 46 always going to be this guy?

Crazy to think Butch Davis was 42 years old when he took over at Miami—battle tested under Jimmy for 11 years with the Canes and Cowboys. That, and 42 in 1995 felt and looked a **** of a lot older than 44 in late 2018 when Diaz got the reigns. Still, Davis was all business from day one and those kids fell in line fast underneath him.
Well, it took Nick Saban 8 years from his hiring at MSU to win one (not counting his first head coaching stint at Toledo which would add another year)...so only 5 more years to wait!

I know there was some convo about victory cigars weeks back, but on a macro-level—curious what most think about Diaz’s psyche with players and a desire to be like / accepted, versus respected / feared.

Sort of like the “are leaders made or born”—the general consensus is “made”—over time can Diaz morph and age into a type of coach that focus more on respect, as the age gap will grow between he and younger players?

Dabo Swinney wasn’t always the “tough guy” and hard *** he likes to come across as at Clemson. Go back and look at footage earlier in his career as head coach—he was a lot more “aw shucks” and looked all the part of a wide receivers coach promoted (from a failed Bowden regime) to head coach. Now in his 12th season—two titles under his belt, as well as a few championship losses—he’s cashing fat checks and it one of the biggest names in the game.

Swinney has built a culture where players voluntarily get off social media during the season—and would-be first round draft picks (Wilkins, Bryant, Ferrell, etc. years back—Etienne this year) are returning for senior years to compete for titles.

The cigars for a 52-10 win over Florida State was one thing—as f**k you to a rival, when the Canes scored the most-ever in the rivalry and their biggest win over the Noles since 1976. Playing slip-and-slide in the rain after eking out a five-point win over a one-win Virginia—as bush league as the tackling dummies with 7-6 on their chests early 2019, before putting together a 6-7 season.

(Real talk; had Wiggins not drawn that third down pass interference call—Virginia get the ball back, down five with almost two and a half minutes left.)

I’m rooting for Manny—as I don’t think Miami has many answers outside of a defensive-minded local guy who gets the brand and culture—but fundamentally, the type of old school coach that wants to be feared / respected; Saban, modern day Swinney, Meyer—that guy generally goes further (with the right program and personnel, of course—being a hard-*** at a trash school means nothing).

Can Manny close out this season, evolve as a leader and make the tough decisions needed to success—while creating a little separation with each new recruiting class, going from buddy-buddy to respected. (A reminder, this year’s senior and junior classes knew Diaz as a defensive coordinator—a gig where you’re not the top guy and can more of a player’s coach and well-liked, a luxury great head coaches usually aren’t afforded.) Or is this guy at 46 always going to be this guy?

Crazy to think Butch Davis was 42 years old when he took over at Miami—battle tested under Jimmy for 11 years with the Canes and Cowboys. That, and 42 in 1995 felt and looked a **** of a lot older than 44 in late 2018 when Diaz got the reigns. Still, Davis was all business from day one and those kids fell in line fast underneath him.
Butch was a Jimmy disciple for real and made it known it was his way or the highway. I remember he had to deal with a couple of players until they got the message there was a new sheriff in town and either fell in line or sought aversion elsewhere. We do need a new DC or some considerable adjustments to the current scheme and Manny would do well to be more like Jimmy and Butch.

Advertisement
i remember when larry coker was on the verge of getting canned. He became knute rockne jr flying around practice, tackling dummies, in short being everything he never was and was told he needed to be.

it didn't work. he lost the team then he lost his job.

you can't lead young men by fooling them. it won't last and when that balloon ishtbag bursts IT BURSTS BAD !!!!

A good leader demands respect. In addition, in order to be respected, whether it be by fear or love, you need to hold yourself and others accountable. Based off Diaz’s actions with our players, Carter as one of the many examples, he is far too passive to be truly respected. I have seen Dabo confront players, he clearly holds players accountable. They are different.
Have to disagree with a leader should demand respect. Respect is earned at any level.

In my view, the most Important trait of a great leader is to understand you can’t do it all yourself therefore you hire great people to help accomplish your organizations goals.

A great leader creates a vision, relates that vision to his team, sets goals and objectives, and holds team members accountable for their results - or lack thereof.

There are many leadership styles. The 8 most common are: Democratic, Autocratic, Laissez-Faire, Strategic, Transformational, Coach-Style, and Bureaucratic . I won’t go into the definition of each one but from the outside looking in, Diaz seems to lean towards the Democratic with a bit of the Strategic. He’s definitely not an Auotocrat, Bureaucrat, Laissez-Faire, or Transactional and it’s yet to be seen whether or not he can be Transformational.

Have to disagree with a leader should demand respect. Respect is earned at any level.

In my view, the most Important trait of a great leader is to understand you can’t do it all yourself therefore you hire great people to help accomplish your organizations goals.

A great leader creates a vision, relates that vision to his team, sets goals and objectives, and holds team members accountable for their results - or lack thereof.

There are many leadership styles. The 8 most common are: Democratic, Autocratic, Laissez-Faire, Strategic, Transformational, Coach-Style, and Bureaucratic . I won’t go into the definition of each one but from the outside looking in, Diaz seems to lean towards the Democratic with a bit of the Strategic. He’s definitely not an Auotocrat, Bureaucrat, Laissez-Faire, or Transactional and it’s yet to be seen whether or not he can be Transformational.
You bring many valid points. My point is if you don’t hold yourself and others accountable then its impossible to be respected by the players. You will never be taken seriously. In football, if you’re not respected by your coaches and players then you’re never going to be successful. Perhaps, “demanding” respect was a poor choice of words but making it priority is absolutely vital.

You bring many valid points. My point is if you don’t hold yourself and others accountable then its impossible to be respected by the players. You will never be taken seriously. In football, if you’re not respected by your coaches and players then you’re never going to be successful. Perhaps, “demanding” respect was a poor choice of words but making it priority is absolutely vital.
No question accountability from the top down is tantamount to successful leadership.

Advertisement
Manny isn’t that soft. He’s fired how many coaches?
I do think he comes off as trying to be liked and I don’t like it though

1603837500175.gif

Mentioning Manny in the same sentence as a guy who’s gonna go down as a top 5 CFB coach of all time makes my brain hurt. It’s not even worth having a discussion about it. Manny is Ron Zook.

I mentioned Manny's approach to successful coaches who took a hard-*** approach.

There are a slew of pseudo tough guys like Will Muschamp, who play the hard-*** but haven't accomplished squat.

The point wasn't about Diaz versus the greats—questioning if a "younger" coach going the likable route early on, versus tightening up his process over time.

Dabo circa 2008-2012 was a far cry from the guy he is now.

Advertisement
Bringing an NFL coach like Pete Carroll into the conversation is comparing apples and oranges. An NFL coach doesn't necessarily have to get into a player's face. He can be a cornball, cool dude, if he wants. But when he has say over personnel matters like Carroll, he has all the power in the world over a player. He just releases the player's *** on Monday morning and has a replacement on the practice field that afternoon.
Caroll was a nice, laid back guy as USC coach too.

However, that was part of his downfall at USC. He let everybody into practice- including agents.

Last edited:
The OP’s website has all kinds of pro-Shannon and pro-Golden posts. Of course he’s going to support Diaz until the bitter end.

Please.

I was never pro-Shannon or pro-Golden. I am pro giving guys a shot and not canning them after one year, like other mental midgets.

I'm also a realist regarding what the University of Miami's capabilities, unlike others who ignore UM's private school limitations versus big time state football factories with massive alumni bases who write fat checks — https://www.espn.com/college-footba...inside-georgia-200-million-quest-take-alabama

As it stand right now I don't think Diaz has the "it" factor—but jury was out on Butch Davis his first five years, as well (great recruiter—not a game day guy, etc.)

Like Swinney, I think Diaz will be defined by his coordinators—Lashlee looking solid, Baker looking like a beta way in over his head.

If Diaz doesn't punt on some dead weight on his staff, it will be his downfall.

Same to be said if he doesn't properly coach up and develop young talent (physically and mentally).

Please.

I was never pro-Shannon or pro-Golden. I am pro giving guys a shot and not canning them after one year, like other mental midgets.

I'm also a realist regarding what the University of Miami's capabilities, unlike others who ignore UM's private school limitations versus big time state football factories with massive alumni bases who write fat checks — https://www.espn.com/college-footba...inside-georgia-200-million-quest-take-alabama

As it stand right now I don't think Diaz has the "it" factor—but jury was out on Butch Davis his first five years, as well (great recruiter—not a game day guy, etc.)

Like Swinney, I think Diaz will be defined by his coordinators—Lashlee looking solid, Baker looking like a beta way in over his head.

Same to be said if he doesn't properly coach up and develop young talent (physically and mentally).

This is what you wrote after Shannon was 21-17 after three years.

Advertisement
Dabo holds players accountable. Carter will be our starting Safety after his 5th targeting ejection.
Exactly. Don’t let his Gameday demeanor fool you. He’s like that because he knows they put the work in during the week and he knows his coaches on both sides of the ball are prepared. Dabo will get in some a** if need be, but he rarely does on the sideline because the players have the respect and play to the standard every play no matter the matchup..

I mentioned Manny's approach to successful coaches who took a hard-*** approach.

There are a slew of pseudo tough guys like Will Muschamp, who play the hard-*** but haven't accomplished squat.

The point wasn't about Diaz versus the greats—questioning if a "younger" coach going the likable route early on, versus tightening up his process over time.

Dabo circa 2008-2012 was a far cry from the guy he is now.
Paying Kids Hundreds of Thousands of $$$ will do that for ya....

Please.

Thats a Utterly Ridiculous statement....Manny will NEVER have to put up with what Butch had to deal with his 1st 5yrs....

Advertisement
Back