Diaz : Liked / Accepted Versus Feared / Respected — Can He Evolve To Latter?

Advertisement
This raises some very valid points regarding Manny, the culture of the program and its future. The best case scenario is Manny, like Dabo, grows into the job and the program/culture evolves with him.
Unfortunately, Manny is having to learn on the job & it's troubling. Believe there is insecurity on his part because he never played the game and initially talked his way into the coaching profession. Not sure how comfortable he is in his own skin and sense he's constantly tweaking how a head coach is supposed to act.
It's ok to protect players with public comments to the media, but ultimately players have to know and see that the head coach is going to hold them accountable. Troubling that it's not seen with Manny. Shocking not to see consequences for in-game brain farts and ***** ups - targeting penalties, offsides, dropped balls, blown assignments, etc. Don't need to toss a headset into the second row of seats, but at least send a message that it's not acceptable, even if it's bringing the player to the sideline for a play or two. And that's everyone, even the better or more established players.
Finally, don't accept or be happy with a horse**** performance like we saw against Virginia. Yeah, standards are so low that it's nice to get a W, but celebrating and sliding in the rain is ridiculous. Not sure the back story on the slide. Did it happen? If the head coach really did that as some form of celebration or to win over players, then the AD needs to call him in his office and read him the riot act. That's more embarrassing than touchdown rings and sideline dancing. Has Miami slipped that far?
Obvious solution is to just go out and hire a HC with championship XP....ill wait for your list.

My sense of Dabo is that he is less confrontational and less of a “asshöle” to his players. But that’s just based on shallow observations and sideline demeanor. I’m not in the locker room and in his one on ones.

And remember much of a head coach his leadership is exhibited through his assistant coaches, because a head coach probably spends even more time with his assistant coaches then he does one on one with individual players.

Just too many players and too few hours in the day for a HC to spend too much time on individual players. Delegation is the name of the game when you have that many people working for you.
Dabo holds players accountable. Carter will be our starting Safety after his 5th targeting ejection.

the thing that ppl on this website fail to acknowledge is that coaching is a skill that can be LEARNED. having a coach that is innovative, has a wonderful temperament, and is very personable is honestly rare in CFB.

there is no doubt we have been winning games by out-talenting teams, as opposed to out-coaching. but you cannot say that manny isnt improving.

call me crazy, but i will die on the manny diaz hill. someone like him will never be afraid to adapt, and the actual coaching will improve with age. for the 25 years ive been alive, i have not seen a coach with so many great qualities at miami!

Advertisement
Manny still thinks he is a coordinator in some respects....

Curious how he grows.

Good read, I think this is near sighted in regards to approach. Bottom line in my opinion is this... whether people like and clamor for it or not. Manny’s approach as a players coach and NOT as a heartless dictator who overly scrutinizes every false start and missed assignment is the right approach in football going forward. “Old School Miami Fans” may not like it but it’s how society is trending towards. I don’t perceive Dabo personally in the same realm as Saban, which is why once saban leaves, bama fans will be assaulting him with money to go back to his alma mater. Sabans leadership style is toxic and not effective in the long run but gets results right now. Manny’s is far more beneficial.
**before you or anyone else starts the nonsensical “snowflake” speak, I’m active duty military for the past 10+ years and this is the culture that the military is switching to.** That full metal jacket ******* drill instructor leadership isn’t being embraced by this new generation at all. Manny is ahead of the curve on a trend you’ll start seeing sooner rather than later IMO

This is how I feel too. With the transfer portal and the ease to leave at any sign of adversity, that hard-nosed, old school mentality is fading fast. I think that the local kids are a little entitled and primadonna-ish too. I don't think Manny can be a hard ***. And IMO, you can only get away with being a hard *** if you have the history where kids will put up with it (meaning you've won big and put kids in the league). A couple years ago (whenever Bama played down here), a friend of mine happened to be at a Heat game where Bama brought their kids to watch. My friend mentioned Saban and the player said they all hated him. But they put up with him. He's won NCs and consistently puts kid in the NFL. Until Manny can do that, I think his approach is the right one.

This is how I feel too. With the transfer portal and the ease to leave at any sign of adversity, that hard-nosed, old school mentality is fading fast. I think that the local kids are a little entitled and primadonna-ish too. I don't think Manny can be a hard ***. And IMO, you can only get away with being a hard *** if you have the history where kids will put up with it (meaning you've won big and put kids in the league). A couple years ago (whenever Bama played down here), a friend of mine happened to be at a Heat game where Bama brought their kids to watch. My friend mentioned Saban and the player said they all hated him. But they put up with him. He's won NCs and consistently puts kid in the NFL. Until Manny can do that, I think his approach is the right one.

Possible. Interesting point. Good post. Worth thinking about.

Advertisement
Dabo also benefited from having 2 QBs that are program changing athletes. What happens if there was no Deshaun Watson? If TVD isn't the goods, Manny is gone in 2 years tops.

The only real leverage any coach has is the bench. When you have few real options for replacing players, they know it and you're kind of stuck, which is why Manny talked so much last year about team culture and the importance of recruiting. Screaming at players during games would just be theater for ignorant fans. Agree that he's more of a Pete Carroll type and that's the future of coaching.

And what does that have to do with anything I said?
A good leader demands respect. In addition, in order to be respected, whether it be by fear or love, you need to hold yourself and others accountable. Based off Diaz’s actions with our players, Carter as one of the many examples, he is far too passive to be truly respected. I have seen Dabo confront players, he clearly holds players accountable. They are different.

Dabo also benefited from having 2 QBs that are program changing athletes. What happens if there was no Deshaun Watson? If TVD isn't the goods, Manny is gone in 2 years tops.
That argument to me is invalid. He benefited from them because he created an environment that they wanted to be in. Be it though bags, or winning culture, he got them there and they rewarded him for it. Getting great players is probably the hardest part to becoming elite.

Advertisement
You don't have to yell and scream to be a good leader. Just like raising kids, you tell them what is expected and what s not expected. You tell them the consequences if they fail. Then you follow through with the punishment if they don't follow directions.

As a coach or parent, you have to be consistent and fair to mold and lead the players/kids into who you want them to become. And that means not always trying to be their friend.

Clear expectations followed by accountability.

Bringing an NFL coach like Pete Carroll into the conversation is comparing apples and oranges. An NFL coach doesn't necessarily have to get into a player's face. He can be a cornball, cool dude, if he wants. But when he has say over personnel matters like Carroll, he has all the power in the world over a player. He just releases the player's *** on Monday morning and has a replacement on the practice field that afternoon.

Advertisement
Manny Diaz will fail just as his predecessors did.

The writing is on the wall yet again, and we still are having this debate. Nothing changes around here I see. Same mouth-breathers who can’t see the obvious.
Facts i didnt See it at first but Miami will never be successful with Manny at the helm. Manny has been here for 5 years and all he is known for is the turnover change. Dude is a beta. Look at our staff we have 1-2 (maybe not even )coaches on the staff that could go coach at a top tier elite school. And that’s because Manny won’t have that on his staff...hes going to bank on the patke baker rumphs of the world. The LB play has been ter since Manny has been here and won’t get better. Dude is suppose to be an LB guru And he has a 5th year senior and a 4th year junior looking lost on the field..... It’s a reason why baby BJ isn’t coming here big bro hasn’t gotten better since HS and the family knows that. Long as manny is head Coach we’ll continue to look 💩 after bye weeks.

A good leader demands respect. In addition, in order to be respected, whether it be by fear or love, you need to hold yourself and others accountable. Based off Diaz’s actions with our players, Carter as one of the many examples, he is far too passive to be truly respected. I have seen Dabo confront players, he clearly holds players accountable. They are different.
Yep.... go back and look what Harley said after the game. It’s no way a senior should be saying anything like that. Diaz is in over his head....

I don’t know if Manny ends up being a good leader or not. The jury is out. He is showing some negative traits superficially, but the verdict is NOT in.

I do know you have no idea what it takes to be a good leader, based on your facile posts. So your opinion is of no value to me.

Advertisement
Back