Diaz Job is on the line this week

Advertisement
What if the Canes win? Will Manny's job be on the line the following week, and the following week, and the following week, etc? What a bunch of foolish clowns.

Dummy Feeling Dumb GIF

Advertisement
As far as fans are concerned, sure.

As far as the administration is concerned, no chance.

His team can lose this week, pummel Central Connecticut next week and will feel like they're back on track at 2-2 going into Virginia week—same way they thought the were hot **** after stealing one at Pitt and pounding bad Florida State and Louisville teams, before no-showing for FIU, Duke and Louisiana Tech.

This program's psyche under Diaz is the problem; all the buzzwords and key phrases after losses (and posting pictures of themselves on social media making a play in a game they lost).

The let the Alabama game roll off their back and showed up ill prepared for Appalachian State. If they beat Michigan State, they'll think all is good again—and if they lose, they'll have some bag of excuses as to why and will write some quotes about "hustle", "grit", "hard work" or "the process" on their social media, again with photos of one play they made in the game.

This team doesn't have the will needed to play a solid enough season to win a Coastal title and to reach the ACC Championship game—or if they do, they aren't doing a good job putting it on display.

15-11 in two plus seasons under Manny—with no reason to think these guys are going to turn a corner anytime soon. (That doesn't mean they won't get a few wins this season—it means they're not going to buckle in and to play the kind of consistent football needed to truly compete for a division title.)

Advertisement
I think it’s safe to say at this point
Nnnnope. You're going to have to wait a whole year for his seat to get hot with anyone that actually matters. The fans? Oh yeah, most are done with him now, but the admins, BOD, anyone who can hire a replacement? He's in wait and see mode, even if we lose out. LOSE OUT to CCCU and company!

If everyone showed up with a bag on their head (see avatar) with a glorious banner flying overhead pre-game, maybe it would get their attention. Come to think of it, they still wouldn’t care.. but the coaches would be shook. Lol

I expect a win on Saturday.

Why?

Because that's what Diaz does i.e., string together a few wins when you expect to lose creating false hope that he finally figured it out. Then completely 💩 the bed when you play your next big opponent (e.g., UNC), while fans call for his head again. Facing insurmountable pressure, Diaz then finds a way to beat F$U to calm the masses to only follow that up with one or two more regular season losses. We finish the year with another disappointing loss in a meaningless bowl game and Diaz vows to make changes...again. We then drink the Kool-aid while defending our kings of the off-season championship.

That's what we have become. It is a vicious cycle.

Advertisement
I would say it’s more of a watershed game. A loss here would be a game you’d look back on and point to and say “thats when the wheels begin to fall off” but his job isn’t on the line

Would love to believe that's real but it isn't. He's got a better chance of reducing the heat with a win, against a P5 team, than he does of turning it up with a loss - regardless the score. This admin is looking for ways to retain this clown, not run him out of town ‐ which would be too much of an undertaking to stomach.

Advertisement
Could be the beginning of the end. He'd get a 4th year unless we are terrible this season.

I think the OP is suffering from a really bad case of wishful thinking.

At one of the perennial recent powers that actually CARES about football, yes losing on saturday would put a coach of Diaz's stature (who probably never would have been hired by any of those said schools but I digress) at risk. However, at a school like UM with the current BOT and administration in place Diaz is more likely to get a pat on the *** and an "attaboy" as long as the score is close.

We're in purgatory. Plain and simple.

Advertisement
Back