Diaz Concepts

IDK Seemed to me we went entire drives without switching allignments.
Like the entire first drive we were in our base 43 allignment, regardless if the offense had 3 or 4 WRs on the field.
But then the entire 2nd drive I think we had or nickel defense on the field....again regardless what the offense was doing

So maybe not covering matching the slot was a conscience effort by Diaz to get our base unit more practice defending when the offense has the advantage and so they have experience against all kinds of looks when it matters. If there's any game to do it its that one, Ark st, and toledo.
I don't think this week was really about having a gameplan to defeat Bethune, I think it was just to give everyone experience against all kinds of looks.

Again, I'm not worried at all. And a few of yall are overreacting like you're on your period or some ****. Langham is Kelvin Benjamin? riiight. Our DL got worked? just no.

basically agree. Not sure how much you game plan for a game like this. You take advantage of games like this to plan ahead for future opponents. You also don't want to call a game where you are essentially giving future opponents schemes to study and prepare for. May explain why so little defensive adjustments were made. My understanding is that we played tons of guys for experience purposes. Seems that was the main goal.

We also beat FAMU by 67 points last year. That was not really indicative of the kind of season we were going to have. People really need to chill out.

Advertisement
Would also have to see the movement that takes place immediately after to know what the **** is going on.

In the first pic the OP posted, the slot ran a short out route, and dropped a bad pass that would've been a 1st down.

They actually got a 1st down with that same play on their 1st possession vs that dum@$$ alignment.

Diaz needs to get His $h!t together.

Wait till this Saturday when we run a train on Ark St. Diaz will be back to being HC in waiting and all will be well going into FSU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Formatted for clarity's sake. Really informative post.

I think what you are looking at here is a Matchup Zone defense (a mix of man and zone coverage)........

1- the CB to the trips side i believe is Corn Elder , his responsibility will be as a flat player and sit play the flat hard look in play QB
2- safety over the #2 wr i believe is R Jenkins his responsibility will be to get over the top of corn look for the Vertical or play the flag his marker will be the sideline into the Hash
3- the linebacker to that side will buzz hard to hook to curl and be force player for the bubble
4- the safety playing over the QB in CF i believe it is Jamal Carter will rotate and replace R Jenkins who is going over the top of Elder ....Carters responsibility would be from hash to hash and would look for the Vertical or the Post
5- the CB to the single WR side i believe is Malek Young and he would be Man to Man w/ his wr

........therefore to the multiple WR side conceptually you will have 4 defenders covering 3 wr's ( Elder , Jenkins , Carter and Playside LBer on the LOS ......this would be the ZONE side and the other side would be the MAN side ........therefore you have your Match-up Zone

I am not a Diaz fan AT ALL. I think he's an average DC, at best

I think what we saw of him at Texas is who he really is.

Advertisement
It was only months ago that he beat the **** out of a pretty prolific spread offense in WVU so I think we should all keep a level head for now.

By no means am I a defensive guru, however I just don't understand this about Diaz's defense. This alignment is from yesterday's game. View attachment 49683

If I'm a competent OC I'm taking advantage of this all day.

For comparisons, here's a screenshot of the FSU game last year that resulted in a touchdown.I remember screaming "cover the slot" before the ball even snapped. View attachment 49682

Anyways, just wanted to get some insight. Yesterday's game had plenty of these!

And that's why you have the RPO installed that most people seem to "hate" in Miami-land. If you give most OC's that spacing (BCU clip) they're just throwing the bubble and working it for what 10 yards?

In the FSU clip 2 over 3 is a . They run the 3 man snag concept (#1 runs a stop, #2 runs corner, #3 runs bubble or arrow/flat) Sure you can take away the stop or arrow and the corner, but not all 3. What about curl/flat/vert 1-3?

The funny thing is. We played multiple teams that ran quick hitting plays to the flats, that would supposedly "expose" diaz. North Carolina especially.

I don't recall any of these teams scoring loads of points on us tho.....

It was only months ago that he beat the **** out of a pretty prolific spread offense in WVU so I think we should all keep a level head for now.

I think he needs to have experienced, pro caliber talent in the secondary to mask the deficiencies in his scheme. We had 3 dudes that are on 53 man rosters manning the secondary last year. Jenkins might've been the best safety in the ACC, and Carter was a hard hitting sure tackler. And Corn was a lock down stud. All three were sure tacklers.

I'm just saying, I'm still in wait and see mode when it comes to Diaz. I do, however, think we have a championship caliber D, based on the talent in the front 7. We just need Diaz to get out of his own way and call a disciplined game---stop trying to audition for a job or over think the game. A part of me think he overthinks the game, because he never played the game, so he's overcompensates by trying to show everyone how much he knows (crazy @ss unnecessary blitzes all game long).

Last edited:
Advertisement
I mean, I'm just a high school slappy but from what I've learned you should never leave a slot "uncovered". Your closest defender should not be a Safety at 10+ yards.

Competent spread OC's love to see that ****.

Unless someone can tell me a good reason for doing that. *shrug*

you could use it as a bluff and at the snap of the ball the LB runs underneath the 3 hoping for a *hot* alert for a quick slant. That's all I got unless someone is just not aligned as they should be and its a player error not a design flaw in the defense

I mean, I'm just a high school slappy but from what I've learned you should never leave a slot "uncovered". Your closest defender should not be a Safety at 10+ yards.

Competent spread OC's love to see that ****.

Unless someone can tell me a good reason for doing that. *shrug*

you could use it as a bluff and at the snap of the ball the LB runs underneath the 3 hoping for a *hot* alert for a quick slant. That's all I got unless someone is just not aligned as they should be and its a player error not a design flaw in the defense

That play was wide open a LOT. The DB was 20 yards away. One one 3rd and medium the QB made the right read to the uncovered slot WR, but threw the ball too low and the WR couldn't grab it. Had he hit that pass it would've been a 10 yard gain, easily.

I was screaming at the TV on those plays. It makes no sense on any level of football, especially when you're dealing with a team that was throwing quick hitters all game. Manny didn't adjust to this at all, and that is a problem. We cant do that against FSU nor even, Syracuse, for that matter

I went back and watch the game. You would think they gashed us. They had a couple methodical drives other than that, they had nothing. People are talking about the coverage, the only thing I was disappointed in was not getting more pressure on the QB. I don't see that being a trend for the season. No coverage is perfect. If you don't get pressure, it matters not the coverage, it will eventually fail if the QB have time.....period. I expect big improvement for Ark St.

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

I think he needs to have experienced, pro caliber talent in the secondary to mask the deficiencies in his scheme. We had 3 dudes that are on 53 man rosters manning the secondary last year. Jenkins might've been the best safety in the ACC, and Carter was a hard hitting sure tackler. And Corn was a lock down stud. All three were sure tacklers.

I'm just saying, I'm still in wait and see mode when it comes to Diaz. I do, however, think we have a championship caliber D, based on the talent in the front 7. We just need Diaz to get out of his own way and call a disciplined game---stop trying to audition for a job or over think the game. A part of me think he overthinks the game, because he never played the game, so he's overcompensates by trying to show everyone how much he knows (crazy @ss unnecessary blitzes all game long).

Sorry, It doesn't work this way.

You cant have a championship caliber defense with JUST a great front 7. You need the entire defense to be great in every aspect or you're not a championship defense.

So save your backhanded support and just say flat out you don't expect us to be a great defense under Manny Diaz.

We see through the b.s.

Advertisement
It pretty much goes without saying that to win a ship u need to have a top 10 D.

Will we have one this year?

I think what you are looking at here is a Matchup Zone defense........1- the CB to the trips side i believe is Corn Elder , his responsibility will be as a flat player and sit play the flat hard look in play QB 2- safety over the #2 wr i believe is R Jenkins his responsibility will be to get over the top of corn look for the Vertical or play the flag his marker will be the sideline into the Hash 3- the linebacker to that side will buzz hard to hook to curl and be force player for the bubble 4- the safety playing over the QB in CF i believe it is Jamal Carter will rotate and replace R Jenkins who is going over the top of Elder ....Carters responsibility would be from hash to hash and would look for the Vertical or the Post 5- the CB to the single WR side i believe is Malek Young and he would be Man to Man w/ his wr ........therefore to the multiple WR side conceptually you will have 4 defenders covering 3 wr's ( Elder , Jenkins , Carter and Playside LBer on the LOS ......this would be the ZONE side and the other side would be the MAN side ........therefore you have your Match-up Zone

JJ started off as the Nickel over Whitfield, then He slid over & blitzed. The playside LB (Quarterman) blitzed, the LB who buzzed (Pinckney) was on the opposite hash. So basically we rushed six (which usually equals Cover-0) with a 2 deep shell behind it. Francois could've actually hit Cook coming out the backfield for an easy 6. $h!t made no sense.
If that is the case , it then becomes a hot read 1- Cook has blitz responsibility he can't release his QB will get hit and more than likely result in a sack....

Advertisement

I disagree. He's not an over-thinking DC. Dorito was an over-thinker.

Diaz is quite simple. He'll concede some things in order to let Miami caliber athletes do what they do and play aggressive. He's gambling if anything, betting that if he creates negative plays at a faster rate then he gets gashed, you won't be able to keep up, whereas Dorito wanted everything covered no matter how many pages it made the playbook. He didn't care about TFL, etc.

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

By no means am I a defensive guru, however I just don't understand this about Diaz's defense. This alignment is from yesterday's game. View attachment 49683

If I'm a competent OC I'm taking advantage of this all day.

For comparisons, here's a screenshot of the FSU game last year that resulted in a touchdown.I remember screaming "cover the slot" before the ball even snapped. View attachment 49682

Anyways, just wanted to get some insight. Yesterday's game had plenty of these!

Maybe I can't count but it looks like we only have 10 on D.

There's actually another safety even further back than the one that you can see, on the other half of the field.

I know. I know.

Ther s eleven on the screen

In the second quarter when the game was being decided, the Canes defense had three STRAIGHT 3 & outs. They did exactly what they were suppose to do, when they were suppose to do it. Everything else is tape to get everyone on point for Arkansas State.

Advertisement
Back