Diaz Concepts

Malek is supposed to read what McCloud is doing. McCloud read his keys from the pre-snap read & stepped up to the LOS. You can actually see Shaq looking over to the vacated area, because they read different things pre-snap.

* McCloud stepping up to the LOS should mean Malek should force the WR outside & then crash to the slot with the Redwine covering the wideout over the top. You actually see Redwine look at the WR pre-snap and take his drop with his left foot on the hash which tells you where his key is.

That sounds highly unlikely and extremely unsound.

You never let a WR outside in 2-high. Makes the Safety have to cover more ground.

OK.

do u think the problem with our defense was diaz or our players being lazy?

Missed tackles was the problem. IMO

That's very true. They did miss a ton of tackles. A lot of easy pitch & catch throws as well tho. That's undeniable.

Advertisement
I think what you are looking at here is a Matchup Zone defense........1- the CB to the trips side i believe is Corn Elder , his responsibility will be as a flat player and sit play the flat hard look in play QB 2- safety over the #2 wr i believe is R Jenkins his responsibility will be to get over the top of corn look for the Vertical or play the flag his marker will be the sideline into the Hash 3- the linebacker to that side will buzz hard to hook to curl and be force player for the bubble 4- the safety playing over the QB in CF i believe it is Jamal Carter will rotate and replace R Jenkins who is going over the top of Elder ....Carters responsibility would be from hash to hash and would look for the Vertical or the Post 5- the CB to the single WR side i believe is Malek Young and he would be Man to Man w/ his wr ........therefore to the multiple WR side conceptually you will have 4 defenders covering 3 wr's ( Elder , Jenkins , Carter and Playside LBer on the LOS ......this would be the ZONE side and the other side would be the MAN side ........therefore you have your Match-up Zone

Last edited:
By no means am I a defensive guru, however I just don't understand this about Diaz's defense. This alignment is from yesterday's game. View attachment 49683

If I'm a competent OC I'm taking advantage of this all day.

For comparisons, here's a screenshot of the FSU game last year that resulted in a touchdown.I remember screaming "cover the slot" before the ball even snapped. View attachment 49682

Anyways, just wanted to get some insight. Yesterday's game had plenty of these!
I tried to answer this the best i could it is on page 4

I think what you are looking at here is a Matchup Zone defense........1- the CB to the trips side i believe is Corn Elder , his responsibility will be as a flat player and sit play the flat hard look in play QB 2- safety over the #2 wr i believe is R Jenkins his responsibility will be to get over the top of corn look for the Vertical or play the flag his marker will be the sideline into the Hash 3- the linebacker to that side will buzz hard to hook to curl and be force player for the bubble 4- the safety playing over the QB in CF i believe it is Jamal Carter will rotate and replace R Jenkins who is going over the top of Elder ....Carters responsibility would be from hash to hash and would look for the Vertical or the Post 5- the CB to the single WR side i believe is Malek Young and he would be Man to Man w/ his wr ........therefore to the multiple WR side conceptually you will have 4 defenders covering 3 wr's ( Elder , Jenkins , Carter and Playside LBer on the LOS ......this would be the ZONE side and the other side would be the MAN side ........therefore you have your Match-up Zone

I think you're spot-on.

I'm not saying the alignment makes sense. But most of you in here are jokes. You all praised him a year ago and you all crowned the defense before the season started and after one meaningless game, you all change your tune. Smh.

I never praised nor crowned

Bc u literally joined less than 3 days ago.

Plenty on hear crowning him the couch in waiting and now want to question his play calling and personel. What happened to the "blitz and utilize our Miami speed"

Advertisement
By no means am I a defensive guru, however I just don't understand this about Diaz's defense. This alignment is from yesterday's game. View attachment 49683

For comparisons, here's a screenshot of the FSU game last year that resulted in a touchdown.I remember screaming "cover the slot" before the ball even snapped. View attachment 49682

I mean, I'm just a high school slappy but from what I've learned you should never leave a slot "uncovered". Your closest defender should not be a Safety at 10+ yards.

Competent spread OC's love to see that ****.

Unless someone can tell me a good reason for doing that. *shrug*
I believe your Spot on and this now is considered a HOTT to a QB which translates to long hand-off......coincidentally this is about what Arky st ran vs Nebraska the other nite with a 4 Quick look while also manipulating the inside backers w/ a 3 step stick concept out of the shotgun look.....they were very successful w/ it because the the DC for Nebraska came from the Al Groh tree .....see Dnofrio....No pressure flood zones play prevent ......rally to the ball.......arrrrrrgggggghhhhhhh

**** Belichek

I mean, I'm just a high school slappy but from what I've learned you should never leave a slot "uncovered". Your closest defender should not be a Safety at 10+ yards.

Competent spread OC's love to see that ****.

Unless someone can tell me a good reason for doing that. *shrug*

I never been a fan of that leaving the slot guy open, we got away with it alot last season because our front 7 was so dominant especially the last 5 games. Still Diaz is light years past Dorito so Im ok with it unless it becomes a handicap and they start attacking it.
I agree w/ this but i do understand what he is trying to , i think all of this is predicated on matchups vs personnel BUT more than anything i think the way we are recruiting and the players we are recruiting are almost Hybrid players that are going to be specifically used in these defenses , players are big fast and can matchup with these WR's while still playing close to the LOS.....

Im more concerned with the inability to hold the edge and leverage plays back inside. Far too many plays were allowed to bounce outside for big chunks. Also our CB's did a poor job of getting off blocks yesterday. Again, very correctable things and football more than any other game is one where emotion can absolutely dicate effort and performance

Advertisement

JJ started off as the Nickel over Whitfield, then He slid over & blitzed. The playside LB (Quarterman) blitzed, the LB who buzzed (Pinckney) was on the opposite hash. So basically we rushed six (which usually equals Cover-0) with a 2 deep shell behind it. Francois could've actually hit Cook coming out the backfield for an easy 6. $h!t made no sense.

Last edited:
A week ago, people were wanting Diaz to succeed Richt as HC and now he's getting the No D treatment. Before you post, you should ask yourself...am I being a prisoner of the moment or is this something that I thought last year as well. I really wonder if all fanbases are this fickle.

IDK Seemed to me we went entire drives without switching allignments.
Like the entire first drive we were in our base 43 allignment, regardless if the offense had 3 or 4 WRs on the field.
But then the entire 2nd drive I think we had or nickel defense on the field....again regardless what the offense was doing

So maybe not covering matching the slot was a conscience effort by Diaz to get our base unit more practice defending when the offense has the advantage and so they have experience against all kinds of looks when it matters. If there's any game to do it its that one, Ark st, and toledo.
I don't think this week was really about having a gameplan to defeat Bethune, I think it was just to give everyone experience against all kinds of looks.

Again, I'm not worried at all. And a few of yall are overreacting like you're on your period or some ****. Langham is Kelvin Benjamin? riiight. Our DL got worked? just no.

I'm gonna venture to guess this is zone coverage my issue with the game is that I think we were playing too far off.

Advertisement
Like I said in earlier threads , we were f'd from the jump in pre snap. Just alignment / scheme alone.

Overreaction Sunday. We have a bunch of useless fvcks in here that put too much stock into ONE fvckin scrimmage game. Act like you've watched football before...for fvcks sake.

Overreaction Sunday. We have a bunch of useless fvcks in here that put too much stock into ONE fvckin scrimmage game. Act like you've watched football before...for fvcks sake.

I think people have the right to ask "what the f that was Saturday"?

This D and staff is way too good to be sliced and diced by a HS team, it's called expectations and standards. If you want to build these guys up to be the 86 bears like everyone here did , then we should expect an elite D on the field. Especially against somebody that's this overmatched.

You don't have many Saturday's in a year so I think there should be a better effort from players and the coaches.

Now I'll let to get back to being captain save a ho.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I'm sure there's some fancy after snap reaction by the D that can cover those formations (the LB sprints out to get the slot or something). What I don't understand is why, with a supposed all-world Dline, we don't play a nickel or dime defense and wait or our line to get home. Blitzing tells me Diaz doesn't think we can get there with 4.

A week ago we were wondering how we were gonna keep Manny for another year. After a 41-13 win, with a completely new secondary and our best LB out the first half, we're wondering who else is available next year.

This board...

Maybe I can't count but it looks like we only have 10 on D.

There's actually another safety even further back than the one that you can see, on the other half of the field.

I know. I know.

If that is the case that is beyond hideous.

I remember being so drunk and thinking the safety looked ready for a punt return. If you have to play that deep to not give up the big play got **** that's rough.

hard to make snap judgements on some of these alignments because they are just meant to be a "look" so the qb makes a certain read and then the coverage may change after the snap. It is done to confuse the qb. Pictures are just a moment frozen in time. Would also have to see the movement that takes place immediately after to know what the **** is going on.

Advertisement
Back