Details of the weekend Diaz got hired...

Does anyone know if CMR really has a buyout clause?

I know it’s standard language, but maybe Miami said you can take another job for free and we can fire you for free??

Even assuming he did have a buyout clause, I’m guessing he negotiated larger severance packages for the staff that was let go as terms of his retirement. All of those guys were family and friends.

Advertisement
Update:

he said he'll ask around again tomorrow and see if he can get any new information - its been a few days since he's checked in with his sources. One name that a couple of higher ups were looking at last week is the Toledo OC, but not sure if these are the heavyweights on the BOT, or others.

Hope I'll be able to get you guys a better update tomorrow.

Advertisement
This would sound far fetched if it was any other P5 program. But totally believable for Miami. SMH. Let’s hope they lucked into a good hire with Manny.

So we were ready to pony up $10M for Cristobal's buyout, but hired Diaz because he gave Miami an ultimatum?

Not buying it. It'd be the other way around: Miami telling Diaz to hold off signing with Temple until they could meet with Cristobal in the next couple of days.
h ed already signed to be temples hc he did what anybody in that situation could do.butch told dee the same thing back when they hired him because of recruiting time line.maybe history is about to repeat for us.

Not coming from me, but saw it on another board from a guy who claims he has a friend in the Canes booster community.

"Richt had a three hour meeting with Blake James on Saturday afternoon, during the course of which he agreed to overhaul the offense. Sunday morning, Richt called James and indicated that he wasn’t comfortable firing his staff, and that he’d prefer to retire instead (this saved the school 20m).
At this point, Rudy Fernandez (chief of staff to the President of UM, also SVP communications), who’s very close to Diaz Jr., started telling the board and James that UM had to retain Diaz.
Simultaneously, David Epstein and Manny Kadre, who are also the BoT for UM (and are also very close with Manny Diaz Sr., former mayor of Miami) started pressuring James to interview Diaz ASAP.
While this was all happening, Jeff Soffer (whose mother is the namesake of the indoor practice facility—among a family of billionaires) was reportedly ready to pony up 10m for the buyout of Mario Cristobal. Adding to this, Cristobal’s wife was interested in the move, however I haven’t seen texts about Mario’s personal interest.
On Sunday night, James interviewed Diaz, who expressed his interest in the UM job, but also mentioned that he couldn’t keep stringing Temple along, as he was in the midst of assembling a staff, on top of recruiting starting next week. Diaz Jr. informed James that he was leaving for Philadelphia within the next few days (Monday/Tuesday) and they would have to make an immediate decision.
The rest is history, as Diaz was offered the job on Sunday evening."

Just thought I'd share - need some other discussion to keep us busy during this OC search.

I like Manny Diaz and believe he can succeed here, but I would have prefered if Blake James took his time with our head coaching search. Regardless, he just pushed his chips all in on Manny Diaz and it's in everyone's best interest that he succeeds here.

Advertisement
I heard that former players were ready to chip in to buy out Mario's 10 million dollar buyout too. I still think Mario eventually comes back here one day.

Advertisement
Richt gets more respect daily for this move if it really went down like this. Cupboard is full, he says adios, saves everyone involved a lot of money. When its all said and done you will probably not see too many head coaches with a history like his go out like this.

I knew it when Rick hired Diaz this **** would haunt the university forever just like Cristoballs has, Every ******* time a coaching vacancy happens you hear that Manolo and Luigi at the top of the same dopey *ss list. If the above is true it’s interesting that Fernandez immediately started pushing the Diaz hire. Identity politics at its finest people let’s hire for who they are and it’s not about how good of a coach they are.

That whole town is corrupt and I wouldn’t be surprised if Manolo Sr. and his cronies had bags themselves.

Advertisement
I did not wanted Dias as HC, I don’t think he is good enough as a recruiter (something that has hurt us in the last few years), his unit is lucky to have played some really bad offenses the last couple of seasons and was/is prone to be exposed when facing an above average Power 5 offense.

But, if he was the number 1 choice I don’t have a problem with him being hired without much of a search going on. Teams do searches all the time and fvck up. If your number 1 guy is in front of you saying he wants the job bad, hire him

But, if he was the number 1 choice I don’t have a problem with him being hired without much of a search going on. Teams do searches all the time and fvck up. If your number 1 guy is in front of you saying he wants the job bad, hire him

Given his lack of experience and recruiting prowess, the Diaz hire only makes sense (to me) in 2 scenarios:
1. You're going to use some of the $$$ you save to bring in an experienced powerhouse OC and several assistants that excel in recruiting.
2. You think Manny has what it takes longterm and you're content with several seasons of 8-9 wins and mid level bowl appearances while he learns the ropes and establishes a foundation for a promising career.

Unfortunately, it is starting to look like UM has taken the second approach.

I think the Mario line is BS, but Manny did say in interviews this pass weekend that he did tell them they need a quick decision cause he couldn’t string temple along

Advertisement
Back