Details of the weekend Diaz got hired...

Update: Dan Enos and Jeff Scott are the two names I’ve been told to watch out for here. Obviously, nothing will be announced until after tonight’s game.

Same source.

Enos is gonna be Bama's OC after Locksley leaves for Maryland. Doubt we outbid Bama to steal him away. So it will be Scott or nothing from tonight's game.

Advertisement
Another hire for Miami decided by a group of BOT members with no knowledge of running a football program, instead of a competent athletic director.

It’s worked since 2001– what could go wrong?
The nerd herd made the call.

Update: Dan Enos and Jeff Scott are the two names I’ve been told to watch out for here. Obviously, nothing will be announced until after tonight’s game.

Same source.

Well guys....I'm not a sauce by any means but looks like this was right.

Not coming from me, but saw it on another board from a guy who claims he has a friend in the Canes booster community.

"Richt had a three hour meeting with Blake James on Saturday afternoon, during the course of which he agreed to overhaul the offense. Sunday morning, Richt called James and indicated that he wasn’t comfortable firing his staff, and that he’d prefer to retire instead (this saved the school 20m).
At this point, Rudy Fernandez (chief of staff to the President of UM, also SVP communications), who’s very close to Diaz Jr., started telling the board and James that UM had to retain Diaz.
Simultaneously, David Epstein and Manny Kadre, who are also the BoT for UM (and are also very close with Manny Diaz Sr., former mayor of Miami) started pressuring James to interview Diaz ASAP.
While this was all happening, Jeff Soffer (whose mother is the namesake of the indoor practice facility—among a family of billionaires) was reportedly ready to pony up 10m for the buyout of Mario Cristobal. Adding to this, Cristobal’s wife was interested in the move, however I haven’t seen texts about Mario’s personal interest.
On Sunday night, James interviewed Diaz, who expressed his interest in the UM job, but also mentioned that he couldn’t keep stringing Temple along, as he was in the midst of assembling a staff, on top of recruiting starting next week. Diaz Jr. informed James that he was leaving for Philadelphia within the next few days (Monday/Tuesday) and they would have to make an immediate decision.
The rest is history, as Diaz was offered the job on Sunday evening."

Just thought I'd share - need some other discussion to keep us busy during this OC search.
On point

Advertisement

Same source.

I wonder if he made an offer to both?

I imagine his “shot in the arm” reference was because he was hoping to hire a national title winning coach ...

Having your OC recruiting with a recent national ring on his hand carries weight. So does coaching high end QBs.

Not coming from me, but saw it on another board from a guy who claims he has a friend in the Canes booster community.

"Richt had a three hour meeting with Blake James on Saturday afternoon, during the course of which he agreed to overhaul the offense. Sunday morning, Richt called James and indicated that he wasn’t comfortable firing his staff, and that he’d prefer to retire instead (this saved the school 20m).
At this point, Rudy Fernandez (chief of staff to the President of UM, also SVP communications), who’s very close to Diaz Jr., started telling the board and James that UM had to retain Diaz.
Simultaneously, David Epstein and Manny Kadre, who are also the BoT for UM (and are also very close with Manny Diaz Sr., former mayor of Miami) started pressuring James to interview Diaz ASAP.
While this was all happening, Jeff Soffer (whose mother is the namesake of the indoor practice facility—among a family of billionaires) was reportedly ready to pony up 10m for the buyout of Mario Cristobal. Adding to this, Cristobal’s wife was interested in the move, however I haven’t seen texts about Mario’s personal interest.
On Sunday night, James interviewed Diaz, who expressed his interest in the UM job, but also mentioned that he couldn’t keep stringing Temple along, as he was in the midst of assembling a staff, on top of recruiting starting next week. Diaz Jr. informed James that he was leaving for Philadelphia within the next few days (Monday/Tuesday) and they would have to make an immediate decision.
The rest is history, as Diaz was offered the job on Sunday evening."

Just thought I'd share - need some other discussion to keep us busy during this OC search.
You are spot on

This story may be true and it may not be. It makes me think about one of the things coach Richt did well. Whether negotiating his original deal with Miami or assistant coaches search. Nothing leaked under Richt. He lied to the media regularly probably one of the reasons they stopped protecting him toward the end of the season. All the leaks about the staff assembly could come back to haunt Manny. Folks always yearn for what they dont have. As possible names leak it will be easier for folks to second guess the hire or complain if things start out slow or rough patches occur.
The OP’s version is accurate. Richt made the decision after sleeping on it and his version, including the names, are essentially correct. That was the reason for the “national search”
Being done quickly.

Advertisement
Advertisement
If we had a chance of getting Cristobal that would have been the time because that ship may have sailed. Stuck with Manny now for at least another year. I am willing to be patient and give him another year to learn from his 1st year fiasco and make some needed changes to staff (at very least new oline coach and DC), and for God's sake get a JUCO or portal fg kicker in here asap. So-called "rebuilding" better start from the foundation on up, not just with players.

Shows over, folks. This program is run by idiots who are being influenced by politics instead of the best interest for the program.

CMR, you should have kept the $20m. This school doesn’t deserve your generosity.

i hope this fanbase will appreciate all that richt did (even with the horrible final season). he got us up to speed in terms of resources and got the school and boosters to spend in a fashion theyve never had. its unfortunate that the best the idiot BOT could come up with is Mario and Manny. there are plenty of good risers out there. fwiw, i dont think mario would be successful here esp in recruiting only bc it does help to have the bama and oregon recruiting budget behind you. they invest more into their program and phil knight funds that entire place.

Advertisement
i hope this fanbase will appreciate all that richt did (even with the horrible final season). he got us up to speed in terms of resources and got the school and boosters to spend in a fashion theyve never had. its unfortunate that the best the idiot BOT could come up with is Mario and Manny. there are plenty of good risers out there. fwiw, i dont think mario would be successful here esp in recruiting only bc it does help to have the bama and oregon recruiting budget behind you. they invest more into their program and phil knight funds that entire place.
CMR left the UM program in better shape then when he got here. Once Manny is canned the program will be in the abyss.

Advertisement
Back