Details of the weekend Diaz got hired...

darius19

Recruit
Banned
Not coming from me, but saw it on another board from a guy who claims he has a friend in the Canes booster community.

"Richt had a three hour meeting with Blake James on Saturday afternoon, during the course of which he agreed to overhaul the offense. Sunday morning, Richt called James and indicated that he wasn’t comfortable firing his staff, and that he’d prefer to retire instead (this saved the school 20m).
At this point, Rudy Fernandez (chief of staff to the President of UM, also SVP communications), who’s very close to Diaz Jr., started telling the board and James that UM had to retain Diaz.
Simultaneously, David Epstein and Manny Kadre, who are also the BoT for UM (and are also very close with Manny Diaz Sr., former mayor of Miami) started pressuring James to interview Diaz ASAP.
While this was all happening, Jeff Soffer (whose mother is the namesake of the indoor practice facility—among a family of billionaires) was reportedly ready to pony up 10m for the buyout of Mario Cristobal. Adding to this, Cristobal’s wife was interested in the move, however I haven’t seen texts about Mario’s personal interest.
On Sunday night, James interviewed Diaz, who expressed his interest in the UM job, but also mentioned that he couldn’t keep stringing Temple along, as he was in the midst of assembling a staff, on top of recruiting starting next week. Diaz Jr. informed James that he was leaving for Philadelphia within the next few days (Monday/Tuesday) and they would have to make an immediate decision.
The rest is history, as Diaz was offered the job on Sunday evening."

Just thought I'd share - need some other discussion to keep us busy during this OC search.

Advertisement
Advertisement
We
Not coming from me, but saw it on another board from a guy who claims he has a friend in the Canes booster community.

"Richt had a three hour meeting with Blake James on Saturday afternoon, during the course of which he agreed to overhaul the offense. Sunday morning, Richt called James and indicated that he wasn’t comfortable firing his staff, and that he’d prefer to retire instead (this saved the school 20m).
At this point, Rudy Fernandez (chief of staff to the President of UM, also SVP communications), who’s very close to Diaz Jr., started telling the board and James that UM had to retain Diaz.
Simultaneously, David Epstein and Manny Kadre, who are also the BoT for UM (and are also very close with Manny Diaz Sr., former mayor of Miami) started pressuring James to interview Diaz ASAP.
While this was all happening, Jeff Soffer (whose mother is the namesake of the indoor practice facility—among a family of billionaires) was reportedly ready to pony up 10m for the buyout of Mario Cristobal. Adding to this, Cristobal’s wife was interested in the move, however I haven’t seen texts about Mario’s personal interest.
On Sunday night, James interviewed Diaz, who expressed his interest in the UM job, but also mentioned that he couldn’t keep stringing Temple along, as he was in the midst of assembling a staff, on top of recruiting starting next week. Diaz Jr. informed James that he was leaving for Philadelphia within the next few days (Monday/Tuesday) and they would have to make an immediate decision.
The rest is history, as Diaz was offered the job on Sunday evening."

Just thought I'd share - need some other discussion to keep us busy during this OC search.

I mean, sounds quite credible, but also easy to make up at this point. Either way, thanks for sharing.

So we were ready to pony up $10M for Cristobal's buyout, but hired Diaz because he gave Miami an ultimatum?

Not buying it. It'd be the other way around: Miami telling Diaz to hold off signing with Temple until they could meet with Cristobal in the next couple of days.

Seems legit .. now we pony up money for buyouts lol where was that schit post 2001

Advertisement
Lulz, doubt it’s true but it sounds like Miami to panic and offer it to the first possible option
They wanted Diaz, period. Why look all over when the guy you want is in town? We would have been stupid to wait a week or two and still hire Diaz, whom UM wanted from the start. Even worse, wait a couple weeks, miss out on other targets, and not get Manny because he's put a staff together and is ready to get the ball rolling at Temple. We did the right thing.

EDIT: I learned my **** lesson. Here I was thinking, "Hey, they knew who they wanted and went and got him." Now maybe others can learn from my mistake and be alright with a real search. ;) Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, hit me in the head with a brick.

Last edited:
Another hire for Miami decided by a group of BOT members with no knowledge of running a football program, instead of a competent athletic director.

It’s worked since 2001– what could go wrong?

Advertisement
Anyone know if Luigi would bounce out of Eugene like that for the home squad? Would the ducks offer more money to keep him. I mean he has a good class but is he the type of coach that they would start a bidding war for?

How does this benefit anyone? Is there any form of a profit (for UM fans) in this?

Sounds like a crock of ****.

Even if it's not, what difference does it make. Who honestly cares?

Advertisement
How does this benefit anyone? Is there any form of a profit (for UM fans) in this?

Sounds like a crock of ****.

Even if it's not, what difference does it make. Who honestly cares?

Don't get your panties in a wad...see the last line of the post

"Just thought I'd share - need some other discussion to keep us busy during this OC search. "

also sounds like Manny strong armed the BOT

Advertisement
Back