Details of the weekend Diaz got hired...

To be fair, here's what I posted when I heard Diaz was being considered for the job. Pretty much everything before the hire was anti-Diaz

View attachment 155427

After he got the job I had to make the choice of either deluding myself that it wasn't a horrendous hire or eating a gun.
That’s fair. I am just messing with you. I think many of us fell in the same category.

Advertisement
I have a high regard for Mark Richt, but Dennis Erickson was a much better football coach. The disrespect he gets on here is astounding.
I look at what he has done elsewhere in comparison. He never reached the same heights as he did here either in the pros or elsewhere. Richt had excellent results at Georgia and here.

Richt got us to a 10 win season and played in the ACC Ship on the arm of Malik Rosier. Goldie could not beat Ga Tech with Brad Kaaya.
Golden didn’t get to play in his ACC ship because of a self imposed bowl ban. Also.. Golden recruited the players that would go on to win those games. Manny is failing now with the players Richt recruited.

The 2 coaches are opposite sides of a coin. Golden could’ve killed it here if he had a good DC. Richt could’ve killed it here if he had a good OC.

They were both equally stubborn and the program suffered.

Advertisement
I look at what he has done elsewhere in comparison. He never reached the same heights as he did here either in the pros or elsewhere. Richt had excellent results at Georgia and here.
Richt had excellent results here? Erickson won a title, ran the one back offense and took Oregon St to a Fiesta Bowl win among other accolades.

Like Thanos, Mario to Miami was inevitable.

Also, interesting thread looking back

Things worked out the way they should have. UM wasn’t ready for Mario three years ago and Mario wasn’t ready for UM.

If he comes three years ago we probably don’t have all these resources promised and he’s a better coach for having been at Oregon these past years.

Deals close when they’re ready.

Doc Savage Skull GIF by Warner Archive

Advertisement
I'm ashamed I ever gave the administration any credit for going out and getting the guy they wanted. Perhaps my worst take ever. To my credit, I realized I F'd up the second he started banging his chest about hiring Dan Enos. ;) The rest is history. Painful, painful history.

Things worked out the way they should have. UM wasn’t ready for Mario three years ago and Mario wasn’t ready for UM.

If he comes three years ago we probably don’t have all these resources promised and he’s a better coach for having been at Oregon these past years.

This. This is it.

Reading the original post, it sounds spot on, from what we know now. The Diaz era will be a blessing in disguise if Mario works out

Advertisement

The school needed to learn the hard way that the Randy Shannon route will not meet expectations.

Advertisement
Not coming from me, but saw it on another board from a guy who claims he has a friend in the Canes booster community.

"Richt had a three hour meeting with Blake James on Saturday afternoon, during the course of which he agreed to overhaul the offense. Sunday morning, Richt called James and indicated that he wasn’t comfortable firing his staff, and that he’d prefer to retire instead (this saved the school 20m).
At this point, Rudy Fernandez (chief of staff to the President of UM, also SVP communications), who’s very close to Diaz Jr., started telling the board and James that UM had to retain Diaz.
Simultaneously, David Epstein and Manny Kadre, who are also the BoT for UM (and are also very close with Manny Diaz Sr., former mayor of Miami) started pressuring James to interview Diaz ASAP.
While this was all happening, Jeff Soffer (whose mother is the namesake of the indoor practice facility—among a family of billionaires) was reportedly ready to pony up 10m for the buyout of Mario Cristobal. Adding to this, Cristobal’s wife was interested in the move, however I haven’t seen texts about Mario’s personal interest.
On Sunday night, James interviewed Diaz, who expressed his interest in the UM job, but also mentioned that he couldn’t keep stringing Temple along, as he was in the midst of assembling a staff, on top of recruiting starting next week. Diaz Jr. informed James that he was leaving for Philadelphia within the next few days (Monday/Tuesday) and they would have to make an immediate decision.
The rest is history, as Diaz was offered the job on Sunday evening."

Just thought I'd share - need some other discussion to keep us busy during this OC search.
**** Epstein, Diaz Sr, Rudy Fernandez and anyone else tied to the Manny hire.

Advertisement
Back