Details of the weekend Diaz got hired...

Diaz Jr. informed James that he was leaving for Philadelphia within the next few days (Monday/Tuesday) and they would have to make an immediate decision.

I can just hear Diass lispily saying “Hire me immediately or else I’m going to Temple” and of course it was an easy decision for Flake as he was getting pegged.

Advertisement
Bumpity bump.bump

WOMP
LOL @djnellz I just saw this. You were diggin my man. I'll always own up to my words and actions. That seems like forever ago. Just to be clear, I have been disgusted with the Diaz hire since jump. I remember my GF coming in the living room to see what happened as I must have been swearing up a storm. Ive been a part of many C-Level hires. That was possibly the most inept, lazy search and hire I think Ive ever seen in my life. In context of Manny or Mario, of course I have to eat **** on that. At the time I was thinking of a boom/bust gamble. Bust it was. I didnt want either at the time Richt left. Mario seems to be improving as a coach. That win against OSU was a nice feather in his cap. History says he will still lose 2 games against less talented teams, but I hope he is evolving as a coach and gets past that hump. 3 years later and the shine has been dulled on this program even more if that was even possible. Manny really skullfuked us. We'd be lucky to get Mario at this point. Let me turn the tables on you. You taking Mario right now, signature on paper, no interviewing anyone else?

Not coming from me, but saw it on another board from a guy who claims he has a friend in the Canes booster community.

"Richt had a three hour meeting with Blake James on Saturday afternoon, during the course of which he agreed to overhaul the offense. Sunday morning, Richt called James and indicated that he wasn’t comfortable firing his staff, and that he’d prefer to retire instead (this saved the school 20m).
At this point, Rudy Fernandez (chief of staff to the President of UM, also SVP communications), who’s very close to Diaz Jr., started telling the board and James that UM had to retain Diaz.
Simultaneously, David Epstein and Manny Kadre, who are also the BoT for UM (and are also very close with Manny Diaz Sr., former mayor of Miami) started pressuring James to interview Diaz ASAP.
While this was all happening, Jeff Soffer (whose mother is the namesake of the indoor practice facility—among a family of billionaires) was reportedly ready to pony up 10m for the buyout of Mario Cristobal. Adding to this, Cristobal’s wife was interested in the move, however I haven’t seen texts about Mario’s personal interest.
On Sunday night, James interviewed Diaz, who expressed his interest in the UM job, but also mentioned that he couldn’t keep stringing Temple along, as he was in the midst of assembling a staff, on top of recruiting starting next week. Diaz Jr. informed James that he was leaving for Philadelphia within the next few days (Monday/Tuesday) and they would have to make an immediate decision.
The rest is history, as Diaz was offered the job on Sunday evening."

Just thought I'd share - need some other discussion to keep us busy during this OC search.
Unbanning this poster for the new hc search @RVACane ?

Advertisement
LOL @djnellz I just saw this. You were diggin my man. I'll always own up to my words and actions. That seems like forever ago. Just to be clear, I have been disgusted with the Diaz hire since jump. I remember my GF coming in the living room to see what happened as I must have been swearing up a storm. Ive been a part of many C-Level hires. That was possibly the most inept, lazy search and hire I think Ive ever seen in my life. In context of Manny or Mario, of course I have to eat **** on that. At the time I was thinking of a boom/bust gamble. Bust it was. I didnt want either at the time Richt left. Mario seems to be improving as a coach. That win against OSU was a nice feather in his cap. History says he will still lose 2 games against less talented teams, but I hope he is evolving as a coach and gets past that hump. 3 years later and the shine has been dulled on this program even more if that was even possible. Manny really skullfuked us. We'd be lucky to get Mario at this point. Let me turn the tables on you. You taking Mario right now, signature on paper, no interviewing anyone else?
Man, most were duped. The OGs not so much. It is what it is.

I am on the Mario train, yes.

But **** no I don't want a repeat of last year. We still need to do our due diligence. I ain't stupid, now, can't put your eggs all in one basket, learned that from Mark Richt's recruiting. I like Lane, Joe Brady if he were interested. Hugh Freeze (he's my #2) I like as well. I wouldn't mind us taking a flier on 2 Andy Reid guys: Mike Kafka (I really want him as OC/QBC not HC) or Dougie P. I think Doug has what it takes to succeed in Miami.

But **** no I don't want a repeat of last year. We still need to do our due diligence. I ain't stupid, now, can't put your eggs all in one basket, learned that from Mark Richt's recruiting. I like Lane, Joe Brady if he were interested. Hugh Freeze (he's my #2) I like as well. I wouldn't mind us taking a flier on 2 Andy Reid guys: Mike Kafka (I really want him as OC/QBC not HC) or Dougie P. I think Doug has what it takes to succeed in Miami.
Give me someone like Eric Bieniemy, he's going to be a stud. I also like Kellen Moore, but I don't know if he's ready to be an HC(I'd back up a brinks truck to his house to be an OC though)

The guys I'd have on my list would be

1)Mario Cristobal--If he's really ready to come home, it would be a solid hire. That said, I wouldn't have him as my clear cut top choice. Lots of question marks still remain about what he is as a gameday coach. He can accumulate talent, when he has the resources, which isn't happening here at Miami. You need to be able to do more than outtalent teams here. He's the kind of hire this administration makes, because it's a "Miami Guy Bro" thing, the difference is that this one has at least a chance of success.

2)Bill Clark--He's the kind of hire Sam Jankovich would have made. **** good teacher, tough as ****. He isn't a **** hire, he's the kind of guy that even if he failed, wouldn't be a complete disaster. Worst you'd get would be a solidly coached team that goes 8-4/9-3. Potential is through the roof, especially considering that with his salary, you'd be able to build a strong staff around him.

3)Chris Petersen--He's retired, or is he????? If boosters are serious about buying out Mario, why not make a run towards a significantly better coach? Petersen would win a title here, point blank period. He wouldn't be a strong recruiter, but he would be a very good tactical coach and CEO. You would have a well run program and if Miami is well run, the wins will come in bunches.

Lane and Freeze aren't even on my list, because I want there to be a program 10 years from now. They are the kind of guys that would pull an Erickson: Win, but then leave a smoking hole afterwards because they are morally bankrupt.

Give me someone like Eric Bieniemy, he's going to be a stud. I also like Kellen Moore, but I don't know if he's ready to be an HC(I'd back up a brinks truck to his house to be an OC though)

The guys I'd have on my list would be

1)Mario Cristobal--If he's really ready to come home, it would be a solid hire. That said, I wouldn't have him as my clear cut top choice. Lots of question marks still remain about what he is as a gameday coach. He can accumulate talent, when he has the resources, which isn't happening here at Miami. You need to be able to do more than outtalent teams here. He's the kind of hire this administration makes, because it's a "Miami Guy Bro" thing, the difference is that this one has at least a chance of success.

2)Bill Clark--He's the kind of hire Sam Jankovich would have made. **** good teacher, tough as ****. He isn't a **** hire, he's the kind of guy that even if he failed, wouldn't be a complete disaster. Worst you'd get would be a solidly coached team that goes 8-4/9-3. Potential is through the roof, especially considering that with his salary, you'd be able to build a strong staff around him.

3)Chris Petersen--He's retired, or is he????? If boosters are serious about buying out Mario, why not make a run towards a significantly better coach? Petersen would win a title here, point blank period. He wouldn't be a strong recruiter, but he would be a very good tactical coach and CEO. You would have a well run program and if Miami is well run, the wins will come in bunches.

Lane and Freeze aren't even on my list, because I want there to be a program 10 years from now. They are the kind of guys that would pull an Erickson: Win, but then leave a smoking hole afterwards because they are morally bankrupt.
Bill Clark is another good one.
LOL on the last two. Yes they are on my short list, but very true to what you said. But to Freeze's credit, didn't he get in trouble for something the previous regime did but he was stupid enough to run his mouth?

Right on. For me I’m leaning towards the program builders if not Mario. Like a Bill Clark, Clawson, Napier, Bill OBrien type. This program needs to be gutted and rebuilt. But the allure of Freeze is very appealing 😁

Advertisement
Right on. For me I’m leaning towards the program builders if not Mario. Like a Bill Clark, Clawson, Napier, Bill OBrien type. This program needs to be gutted and rebuilt. But the allure of Freeze is very appealing 😁
Clawson I am warming up to a lot, but I don't know if he would come here. Bill Clark is another hire I can get behind. I am on the fence with Napier as I am getting around to getting to know the coach. P'Brein I am 60 yay, 40 nay on, only because I'm weary in picking guys from the Belichivk coaching tree, but part of me feels he can turn this program around....

Then leave.
I picked Dougie P because not only 8s he an Andy Reid guy, he can mentor a QB as long as he doesn't have someone breathing down his neck and micromanaging him and if he can win a championship with no pro bowlers and a back-up QB, then imagine what he could do with a Jake Garcia and our roster. A players coach that will get the most out of you, like Andy Reid or a Jon Harbaugh or Pete Carroll.

But we need some discipline down here, too, so I see Obrien on the short list.

Diaz Jr. informed James that he was leaving for Philadelphia within the next few days (Monday/Tuesday) and they would have to make an immediate decision.

I can just hear Diass lispily saying “Hire me immediately or else I’m going to Temple” and of course it was an easy decision for Flake as he was getting pegged.

Actual transcript of the call:

Manny: Mithter Jameth, I have already contacted College Hunkth Moving Junkth, and there will be a PODTH delivery later today. I cannot get my depothit back unleth I call them by theven o'clock.

Beta Blake: I'll have a contract offer for you shortly.

Manny: I want thixth million per year over theven yearth. Pleath faxth the documenth to my thecretary, as it ith nearly thixth pm on the Thabbath.

Beta Blake: I promise you'll never regret saying no to Temple.

Manny: Thufferin' thuccotath...

I rather of had Diaz over Cristobal anyways tbh. I wanted Barbers or Leech before Diaz but I was not very high on Cristobal. The man went 9-4 with Justin Herbert as QB... Big deal! Before that he was 27-47 at FIU who Butch Davis seemed to turn around pretty quick.

Lulz, doubt it’s true but it sounds like Miami to panic and offer it to the first possible option
Why do you doubt that? Is it because of the huge investment UM has put towards quality coaching since Shalala became President and denied Butch a meager $800k buyout clause?

Advertisement
View attachment 99915

Rudy Fernandez, people.

Manny said hi to him once at the cafeteria and this loser fell in love with him and then pressured the University of Miami to make the only person ever to be nice to him the HC.
Is this the ******* loser that got into Blake’s ear and protected him from Soffer? Can somebody verify this?

Advertisement
I’m not against Lane. I just don’t think he’ll value Defense enough for us to be elite.

Sorry, meant to type "Mario", not "Manny".

Again, nothing against you personally, but it's just funny how some people act like Lane Train is now Dr. Jekyll (with no Mr. Hyde) after a few years with Saban, while still reminding us of Mario's W-L record at FIU.

Sorry, meant to type "Mario", not "Manny".

Again, nothing against you personally, but it's just funny how some people act like Lane Train is now Dr. Jekyll (with no Mr. Hyde) after a few years with Saban, while still reminding us of Mario's W-L record at FIU.
I’m a “what have you done for me lately” type of dude. With Lane I see an elite offense but a defense that’ll wasn’t good enough to stop people(Fau mostly) while Mario has Oregon rolling to a playoff and prioritizing the trenches and elite D. Like I’ve mentioned before, it’s doesn’t matter how many points you score if you can’t stop people. Play Dominating D. Worry about scoring 40 later.

Doug P would be awesome

Total BS. Richt had decided to leave 10 days before he resigned, as I posted over two weeks ago. Mark was done and decided to change his path in life, non-football related. Some people want things to be full of intrigue, the reality is the simplest reasons are usually correct. People need to just quit making crap up. Appreciate what he did correct, but he left the program in better shape that I found it, was the driving force behind the indoor practice facility and yes he had some failures last season. People just need to MoveOn.
Best coach since Butch, hands down. Better than DE as well...DE just let Jimmy's boys run the show

Advertisement
Back