Details of the weekend Diaz got hired...

Absolutely NOTHING in that original post surprises me. One of my clients is "one of those guys"....a Golden Cane who donates a ton of money. He and I got pretty into it via text when he sent me a message a day before the hire was happening saying they were pushing hard for Diaz. I guess he was expecting me to be happy or grateful he was giving me inside info. I then proceeded to tell him it was a horrible idea......to which he didn't respond well and the conversation went sideways from there.

It's incompetence manifested within a weekend, put down on a message board in words. It basically summarizes the last 2 decades of UM football and shows you the genesis of how INCOMPETENT decisions get made.

This is EXACTLY why we need a strong, competent AD who is given AUTONOMY over these decisions. Our board is absolutely ******* clueless and "those guys" who keep hanging around the board and are among the more popular "donors" have too much say in what goes on.

It's a cluster *****. It's basically a thesis statement in what NOT TO DO, administratively.

Have you texted you buddy lately?

Advertisement
I'm going to see him in the next 2 weeks for work related issues.....I'm curious to hear what he has to say. He's incapable of going more than 2 sentences without mentioning the Canes so I'll get my opinion in.

Dont lose a paying client over Miami football. The squeeze isn't worth the juice anymore.

I'm going to see him in the next 2 weeks for work related issues.....I'm curious to hear what he has to say. He's incapable of going more than 2 sentences without mentioning the Canes so I'll get my opinion in.

punch him in the arm, for us, semi-hard, though, no need to go full throttle(yet)

Advertisement
Not coming from me, but saw it on another board from a guy who claims he has a friend in the Canes booster community.

"Richt had a three hour meeting with Blake James on Saturday afternoon, during the course of which he agreed to overhaul the offense. Sunday morning, Richt called James and indicated that he wasn’t comfortable firing his staff, and that he’d prefer to retire instead (this saved the school 20m).
At this point, Rudy Fernandez (chief of staff to the President of UM, also SVP communications), who’s very close to Diaz Jr., started telling the board and James that UM had to retain Diaz.
Simultaneously, David Epstein and Manny Kadre, who are also the BoT for UM (and are also very close with Manny Diaz Sr., former mayor of Miami) started pressuring James to interview Diaz ASAP.
While this was all happening, Jeff Soffer (whose mother is the namesake of the indoor practice facility—among a family of billionaires) was reportedly ready to pony up 10m for the buyout of Mario Cristobal. Adding to this, Cristobal’s wife was interested in the move, however I haven’t seen texts about Mario’s personal interest.
On Sunday night, James interviewed Diaz, who expressed his interest in the UM job, but also mentioned that he couldn’t keep stringing Temple along, as he was in the midst of assembling a staff, on top of recruiting starting next week. Diaz Jr. informed James that he was leaving for Philadelphia within the next few days (Monday/Tuesday) and they would have to make an immediate decision.
The rest is history, as Diaz was offered the job on Sunday evening."

Just thought I'd share - need some other discussion to keep us busy during this OC search.
Jose Mas was working the deal for Mario and buyout money was there. Mario didn't have to interview for the job it was his job.

Don't get your panties in a wad...see the last line of the post

"Just thought I'd share - need some other discussion to keep us busy during this OC search. "

also sounds like Manny strong armed the BOT
Not only that Blake does not like Mario.

Advertisement
If it was Mario or Manny, in glad we went with Manny. I have very little faith in any real success with Mario.

Me too. I would rather feel all warm and fuzzy knowing we have Manny instead of the guy having success elsewhere. Winning games pales in comparison to that warm and fuzzy feeling. To be honest, I feel like the Canes are undefeated.

Advertisement
Me too. I would rather feel all warm and fuzzy knowing we have Manny instead of the guy having success elsewhere. Winning games pales in comparison to that warm and fuzzy feeling. To be honest, I feel like the Canes are undefeated.
Thanks for quoting something in hindsight. If you want, you can spend the rest of the year tracking people's bad historical calls here.

Advertisement
Would be an interesting turn of events if Cristobal tells the school no way he would work for Flake and make them fire him before he would take the job.

its so painfully obvious that the BOT had pegged Diaz as the next coach long before Rick retired.

And why wouldnt they? In their minds he was a Cuban Brent Venables with “swag” and a marketing gimmick they could sell to imbeciles (the chain).

It was a dumb thought then and a dumb thought today....hindsight has nothing to do with it.
Funny that you would make the assumption that Mario walks into the same situation and automatically has the same results as what he's doing with Oregon. There he took over a team that wasn't hurting for talent, he starts with a QB who is a projected first rounder, and his OL isn't made of swiss cheese. Lots of hires look like a home run until they don't, but keep up the good work Miss Cleo.

Advertisement
Back