Details of the weekend Diaz got hired...

This story may be true and it may not be. It makes me think about one of the things coach Richt did well. Whether negotiating his original deal with Miami or assistant coaches search. Nothing leaked under Richt. He lied to the media regularly probably one of the reasons they stopped protecting him toward the end of the season. All the leaks about the staff assembly could come back to haunt Manny. Folks always yearn for what they dont have. As possible names leak it will be easier for folks to second guess the hire or complain if things start out slow or rough patches occur.

Advertisement
If he does great things or not remains to be seen. I like the way Manny goes about his business. Knew he wanted the Miami job, probably knew Mario was in play, used his leverage and applied pressure. Essentially played chicken with the AD to coach the team he grew up rooting for. That's guts.

anyway, he seems pretty plugged in so i'll see if i can dig up some other info that we may not be privy to, or if he has any idea wtf is going on with our coordinator hires.

if i get anything, i'll post it here. just to reiterate, I am not an insider, just seeing if there's any other stuff that he may know

I probably missed this amongst all the repetitive threads lately, but did we actually end up paying Temple for Manny, or was there truth to the rumor that he never actually signed his contract there?

Sounds like the money is there if the right person is interested.

It also sounds like it's personal relationships that determine the hiring and firings at UM, not football acumen.
Right. But let's think about this for a moment. You don't get to the point where you decide you are ready to pony up $10M on a coach unless you are a huge supporter of that coach. And you aren't going to hire your other coaching alternative at that point just because he threatens to sign with Temple in the next couple of days. You'd find a way to interview both guys IMO.

Advertisement
this is a good point. I like the hire, he seems smart, energized, analytical, etc. but shows how reactionary the message board can be sometimes. we all crowned him for being a "savage" when in reality he might've had no choice...

I would’ve have agreed with that until he hired an outside DC. And I’m sure Blake wouldn’t have had a problem if he retained Dugans

Not coming from me, but saw it on another board from a guy who claims he has a friend in the Canes booster community.

"Richt had a three hour meeting with Blake James on Saturday afternoon, during the course of which he agreed to overhaul the offense. Sunday morning, Richt called James and indicated that he wasn’t comfortable firing his staff, and that he’d prefer to retire instead (this saved the school 20m).
At this point, Rudy Fernandez (chief of staff to the President of UM, also SVP communications), who’s very close to Diaz Jr., started telling the board and James that UM had to retain Diaz.
Simultaneously, David Epstein and Manny Kadre, who are also the BoT for UM (and are also very close with Manny Diaz Sr., former mayor of Miami) started pressuring James to interview Diaz ASAP.
While this was all happening, Jeff Soffer (whose mother is the namesake of the indoor practice facility—among a family of billionaires) was reportedly ready to pony up 10m for the buyout of Mario Cristobal. Adding to this, Cristobal’s wife was interested in the move, however I haven’t seen texts about Mario’s personal interest.
On Sunday night, James interviewed Diaz, who expressed his interest in the UM job, but also mentioned that he couldn’t keep stringing Temple along, as he was in the midst of assembling a staff, on top of recruiting starting next week. Diaz Jr. informed James that he was leaving for Philadelphia within the next few days (Monday/Tuesday) and they would have to make an immediate decision.
The rest is history, as Diaz was offered the job on Sunday evening."

Just thought I'd share - need some other discussion to keep us busy during this OC search.
The is 100 percent accurate.

Advertisement
If it was Mario or Manny, in glad we went with Manny. I have very little faith in any real success with Mario.

Mario is a CEO. Not what we need.
Manny, IMO falls more into the innovator category as he is huge into sabermetrics and will build a staff that gets the most out of the players.

Would be more fruitful if they would put up some money for a competent AD..... and stay the **** out of decisions in the Athletic Dept...

Total banana republic move...

I don’t buy this but what the **** do I know. I think as someone said, Richt decided days ago. I don’t think he was seriously going into 2019 with Banda/Patke as co dcs and was just a decision to hold the fort down through early signing period.

I do believe the board would want Mario. Now that is lazy. If it’s between Mario and Manny, I’ll take Manny. He could bomb or be our Dabo. At least there is hope. Mario is what he is. An 8-4 coach who has hit his ceiling for the most part.
Hit his ceiling in ONE season ? Lol. The **** yall come up with to convince yourselves is pure comedy lol

Advertisement
I'm glad Rick retired, but seriously? He wouldn't fire anyone from one of the worst offenses in CFB? What kind of coach refuses to improve his team?
One that is as stubborn and out of touch as reality as richt

Interesting! To me the hero of this story is Jeff Soffer, if true than in addition to all he has put up for the school he was willing to put up $10M. That to me is a super fan. I don't care how rich you are, that is putting your money where your love/mouth is at!!!

For real.. I mean if he loves The U that much he *cough* can STILL put that bread up... We’d find a use for it..

Advertisement
Interesting! To me the hero of this story is Jeff Soffer, if true than in addition to all he has put up for the school he was willing to put up $10M. That to me is a super fan. I don't care how rich you are, that is putting your money where your love/mouth is at!!!

True. I also think it makes Dr. Frenk look like one of the good guys if he was out here calling donors and ****

I'm glad Rick retired, but seriously? He wouldn't fire anyone from one of the worst offenses in CFB? What kind of coach refuses to improve his team?

In his case, one that is taking the high road. He could have said **** you, fire me and pay me.

He was essentially being asked to overhaul the entire program.

And there are grumblings that the powers-that-be were not enamored with his decision on the defense to replace Manny either.

If you're going to be removing everybody else, or being asked to do so, at this point in his career it probably makes sense to just to step aside, rather than be the one highest-paid holdover whose own decisions cost everyone else their jobs.

Hit his ceiling in ONE season ? Lol. The **** yall come up with to convince yourselves is pure comedy lol
So this was Marios first season as head coach? Ive seen enough of Mario as head coach to know what we would be getting.

Would be more fruitful if they would put up some money for a competent AD..... and stay the **** out of decisions in the Athletic Dept...

Total banana republic move...
Last time a very expensive search firm and a reputable advisory board, and AD, resulted in Richt. Sometimes banana republic tactics get you a very good president, with ends justifying the means. Hope this banana ENDS well!

Advertisement
Back