2024 Deryc Plazz, OT - Andrew Jackson HS (Jacksonville FL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Dog Sunbathing GIF by MOODMAN

Advertisement
And we have been told that Francis and Samson have scared off some of the higher rated OL recruits so this class will be more developmental guys.

Sure. When you are 5-7 and your best recruiting pitch (currently) is "immediate playing time", it's gonna take a couple of cycles to recruit blue chip players at every position every year.

Make the effort, no doubt. But be realistic about the possibility that some guys will pass on the opportunity and choose a 10-win team instead.

That’s such a BS excuse. Higher rated OL aren’t scared to go to Bama, UGa, OSU or any other top contending program but they are afraid of Miamis death chart. Hahahahaha yeah ok

Nobody is "afraid". Stop distorting and exaggerating what is actually happening.

Advertisement
Sure. When you are 5-7 and your best recruiting pitch (currently) is "immediate playing time", it's gonna take a couple of cycles to recruit blue chip players at every position every year.

Make the effort, no doubt. But be realistic about the possibility that some guys will pass on the opportunity and choose a 10-win team instead.
The gaytor went 6-7 last season and currently hold the #3 class. The gaytor commits have no issues with prior won/loss record and they're choosing to play for a HC that did nothing with the 4th overall pick in the nfl draft. Highly questionable. And yet they committed. It's interesting to compare and I have no clue why these cats would choose the gaytor over 10 win teams but they are.

Then you look at the Canes. MC dug himself into a hole and that's on him with his horrendous game day coaching and equally bad hiring decisions. I think recruits are looking at this more so than the team's record and with a watchful eye as for how they perform this season. Think it was Dmoney or Cribby, forget who, that said the season would be critically important to the future success of the program or something to that effect. MC has to put out a good product, fun product. Win 8 or 9 games. Be competitive. This I agree with.

Reactions: jsy
Offensive line is the least place where stars matter so pipe down you star lovers.

Waiting for my flight so I decided to look at the All-SEC OL (first and second team, AP and coaches).

Ricky Stromber C (4* on 247, .8852 3* on the Composite)
Sedrick Van Prann C (Consensus 4*, .9713 Composite)
O'Cyrus Torrence OL (3* on 247, .8337 3* Composite)
Darnell Wright OT (Consensus 5*, .9943 Composite)
Emil Ekiyor, Jr. OL (Consensus 4*, .9496 Composite)
Warren McClendon OT (Consensus 4*, .9131 Composite)
Broderick Jones OT (Consensus 5*, .9947 Composite)
Nick Broeker OL (4* on 247, .8857 3* on the Composite)
Javion Cohen OG (4* on 247, .8951 4* Composite)
Tyler Steen OL (3* on 247, .8464 3* Composite)
Jovaughn Gwyn OG (4* on 247, .8937 Composite)
Will Campbell OL (Consensus 4*, .9830 Composite)
Dalton Wagner OL (4* on 247, .8639 3* on the Composite)
Javon Foster OT (3* on 247, .8316 3* Composite)
Beaux Limmer OT (3* on 247, .8741 3* Composite)
Ethan White OG (3* on 247, .8685 3* Composite)

Out of 16 All-SEC OL, all but 5 were rated a 4* on 247 and/or the 247 composite (and all but O'Cyrus for the first team guys). Obviously this is a very small sample size. I tend to agree stars matter less on the OL, but it also seems to be true that stars still matter on the OL.

The gaytor went 6-7 last season and currently hold the #3 class. The gaytor commits have no issues with prior won/loss record and they're choosing to play for a HC that did nothing with the 4th overall pick in the nfl draft. Highly questionable. And yet they committed. It's interesting to compare and I have no clue why these cats would choose the gaytor over 10 win teams but they are.

Then you look at the Canes. MC dug himself into a hole and that's on him with his horrendous game day coaching and equally bad hiring decisions. I think recruits are looking at this more so than the team's record and with a watchful eye as for how they perform this season. Think it was Dmoney or Cribby, forget who, that said the season would be critically important to the future success of the program or something to that effect. MC has to put out a good product, fun product. Win 8 or 9 games. Be competitive. This I agree with.
I dont think you can compare the two situations. We went 5-7 with several horrific losses and what was our best win? Ga Tech probably.
The gaytors went 6-7 but had wins against Utah, SC, Texas AM and all of their regular season losses were close except for UGA. The bowl game is meaningless with all the players now that sit out of games. Yeah they lost to Vandy but jeez if we played their schedule we would have been lucky to get 3 wins. Plus at least they can sell playing in the SEC. What can we sell to recruits right now? Im actually surprised we are doing as well as we are considering what happened last year, **** conference and new coaching staff.
We should win 8 games minimum(no excuse for less) and if we can look decent we will get a top 10 class. Top 5 would have happened if we won 7-9 games last season.

Advertisement
Nobody is "afraid". Stop distorting and exaggerating what is actually happening.

So what has been said? I’ve seen multiple times ppl say players see last years class blah blah. So if it’s not “afraid” then what is it?

The truth is we aren’t as appealing to the top guys as we are to top contenders coming off 5-7 so label however you want it but saying Francis and Samson is really keeping top kids from coming is something I don’t believe as accurate. If you have or off otherwise feel free to share

Advertisement

Now you're just being disingenuous. If you're going to respond to my post, stick to my post and stop going off on tangents about W-L records and game-day coaching.

Simply address MY POINT and tell me about the top recruits that Florida signed last year and how that might impact their recruiting this year. Because that is ALL that I mentioned in relation to Miami. Florida is indeed comparable to Miami in terms of last year's performance, so please tell us which Florida 5-stars from last year might be locking down multi-year starting positions and perhaps might be roadblocks to signing blue-chippers at the same position this year because "immediate playing time" does not seem as obvious this year as it was last year.

Oh, that's right, the Gaytors DID NOT SIGN any 5-star players last year, certainly not bookend OTs.

In fact, if you take a look at the top SIX Gaytor recruits from last year (all 4-stars), guys with a .94 rating or higher and who were in the Top 150 (you know, the guys who might be EXPECTED to lock up a starting job as a freshman), it was a pretty diverse crew. A defensive lineman, a cornerback, a pair of wide receivers f different heights/skillsets, a safety and an interior offensive lineman.

I'll add something else. The BEST position group thus far in the Gaytors' 2023-24 recruiting class is LINEBACKER, the position at which they signed ONE high school recruit last year. So, yes, "immediate playing time" matters when that is your primary selling point.

On the other hand, the top SEVEN Miami recruits from last year above a .94 and in the Top 150 included a PAIR of offensive tackles (both 5-star Top 25 types) and a PAIR of defensive ends (both Top 100). So maybe, JUST MAYBE, there's a reason why we only have one OT and one DE committed at this point. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, we're not quite yet at the Alabama/Georgia/Ohio State level where we can sign pairs of Top 100 players each and every year. Not yet.

I don't understand why this is so shocking. And I don't understand why the over-simplifiers on the Board want to call this "fear". The Portal exists. Top kids want to get on the field nearly immediately. If they don't mind waiting 3 years to play, they can pick Alabama or Georgia or Ohio Taint. But if you're selling "it's gonna be awesome in a couple of years", then top guys who are into that will want to play right away to be a part of the big turnaround. None of the top guys want to sit for 3 years behind Francis and Samson while we go to 8 wins, then 10, then 12. THEY WANT TO PLAY.

None of that is bizarre or controversial, but porsters who have never played a sport feel comfortable impugning the manhood of these recruits because @DMoney made an honest comment in a thread one time.

Last edited:
Now you're just being disingenuous. If you're going to respond to my post, stick to my post and stop going off on tangents about W-L records and game-day coaching.

Simply address MY POINT and tell me about the top recruits that Florida signed last year and how that might impact their recruiting this year. Because that is ALL that I mentioned in relation to Miami. Florida is indeed comparable to Miami in terms of last year's performance, so please tell us which Florida 5-stars from last year might be locking down multi-year starting positions and perhaps might be roadblocks to signing blue-chippers at the same position this year because "immediate playing time" does not seem as obvious this year as it was last year.

Oh, that's right, the Gaytors DID NOT SIGN any 5-star players last year, certainly not bookend OTs.

In fact, if you take a look at the top SIX Gaytor recruits from last year (all 4-stars), guys with a .94 rating or higher and who were in the Top 150 (you know, the guys who might be EXPECTED to lock up a starting job as a freshman), it was a pretty diverse crew. A defensive lineman, a cornerback, a pair of wide receivers f different heights/skillsets, a safety and an interior offensive lineman.

I'll add something else. The BEST position group thus far in the Gaytors' 2023-24 recruiting class is LINEBACKER, the position at which they signed ONE high school recruit last year. So, yes, "immediate playing time" matters when that is your primary selling point.

On the other hand, the top SEVEN Miami recruits from last year above a .94 and in the Top 150 included a PAIR of offensive tackles (both 5-star Top 25 types) and a PAIR of defensive ends (both Top 100). So maybe, JUST MAYBE, there's a reason why we only have one OT and one DE committed at this point. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, we're not quite yet at the Alabama/Georgia/Ohio State level where we can sign pairs of Top 100 players each and every year. Not yet.

I don't understand why this is so shocking. And I don't understand why the over-simplifiers on the Board want to call this "fear". The Portal exists. Top kids want to get on the field nearly immediately. If they don't mind waiting 3 years to play, they can pick Alabama or Georgia or Ohio Taint. But if you're selling "it's gonna be awesome in a couple of years", then top guys who are into that will want to play right away to be a part of the big turnaround. None of the top guys want to sit for 3 years behind Francis and Samson while we go to 8 wins, then 10, then 12. THEY WANT TO PLAY.

None of that is bizarre or controversial, but porsters who have never played a sport feel comfortable impugning the manhood of these recruits because @DMoney made an honest comment in a thread one time.

Folks overthinking and over analyzing things as usual

Folks overthinking and over analyzing things as usual

Yep. You know that I've pointed out that UiF is cleaning up at LB this year. And the only reason you've got a shot at keeping Lagway is because he has nobody decent ahead of him on the depth chart.

****, you pretty much lost Simmons BECAUSE OF Lagway.

But people want to yap about how these recruits are "scared".

They just want to play. And if they are gonna take a flyer on a 2nd year head coach who didn't crack .500 last year, they want the playing time.

Not complicated.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back