2024 Deryc Plazz, OT - Andrew Jackson HS (Jacksonville FL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Now you're just being disingenuous. If you're going to respond to my post, stick to my post and stop going off on tangents about W-L records and game-day coaching.

Simply address MY POINT and tell me about the top recruits that Florida signed last year and how that might impact their recruiting this year. Because that is ALL that I mentioned in relation to Miami. Florida is indeed comparable to Miami in terms of last year's performance, so please tell us which Florida 5-stars from last year might be locking down multi-year starting positions and perhaps might be roadblocks to signing blue-chippers at the same position this year because "immediate playing time" does not seem as obvious this year as it was last year.

Oh, that's right, the Gaytors DID NOT SIGN any 5-star players last year, certainly not bookend OTs.

In fact, if you take a look at the top SIX Gaytor recruits from last year (all 4-stars), guys with a .94 rating or higher and who were in the Top 150 (you know, the guys who might be EXPECTED to lock up a starting job as a freshman), it was a pretty diverse crew. A defensive lineman, a cornerback, a pair of wide receivers f different heights/skillsets, a safety and an interior offensive lineman.

I'll add something else. The BEST position group thus far in the Gaytors' 2023-24 recruiting class is LINEBACKER, the position at which they signed ONE high school recruit last year. So, yes, "immediate playing time" matters when that is your primary selling point.

On the other hand, the top SEVEN Miami recruits from last year above a .94 and in the Top 150 included a PAIR of offensive tackles (both 5-star Top 25 types) and a PAIR of defensive ends (both Top 100). So maybe, JUST MAYBE, there's a reason why we only have one OT and one DE committed at this point. Maybe, JUST MAYBE, we're not quite yet at the Alabama/Georgia/Ohio State level where we can sign pairs of Top 100 players each and every year. Not yet.

I don't understand why this is so shocking. And I don't understand why the over-simplifiers on the Board want to call this "fear". The Portal exists. Top kids want to get on the field nearly immediately. If they don't mind waiting 3 years to play, they can pick Alabama or Georgia or Ohio Taint. But if you're selling "it's gonna be awesome in a couple of years", then top guys who are into that will want to play right away to be a part of the big turnaround. None of the top guys want to sit for 3 years behind Francis and Samson while we go to 8 wins, then 10, then 12. THEY WANT TO PLAY.

None of that is bizarre or controversial, but porsters who have never played a sport feel comfortable impugning the manhood of these recruits because @DMoney made an honest comment in a thread one time.
Slow your roll and relax dude. You don’t know me so chill as I’m not some pushover that you attempt to roll over.

You commented on some bull**** 5-7 record and why Canes might be struggling to double down in 24. I simply commented on that and the gaytor not struggling even though they sucked equally with a top 4 QB. And the gaytor to my displeasure had a solid 23 class and lighting it up to date in 24. Meanwhile our HC mismanaged the 22 season and struggling to land DL and OL at this time. That’s crystal and the excuse is a 5-7 record. No, the issue is a poor game day HC who made bad hires. He’s on the clock but of course, the excuse mongers come up with a losing record.

Advertisement
Slow your roll and relax dude. You don’t know me so chill as I’m not some pushover that you attempt to roll over.

You commented on some bull**** 5-7 record and why Canes might be struggling to double down in 24. I simply commented on that and the gaytor not struggling even though they sucked equally with a top 4 QB. And the gaytor to my displeasure had a solid 23 class and lighting it up to date in 24. Meanwhile our HC mismanaged the 23 season and struggling to land DL and OL at this time. That’s crystal and the excuse is a 5-7 record. No, the issue is a poor game day HC who made bad hires. He’s on the clock but of course, the excuse mongers come up with a losing record.

Oh stop whining already. You deliberately cut off my sentence before the "and". This is what I said:

"When you are 5-7 and your best recruiting pitch (currently) is "immediate playing time", it's gonna take a couple of cycles to recruit blue chip players at every position every year."

Again, the point is NOT the record, it's the fact that "immediate playing time" has to be your front-and-center best recruiting pitch BECAUSE you can't say you just won 10 games.

I don't have to know you to identify a post that is misquoting me and oversimplifying the point. The very fact that you used Florida as a comparative is proof that you didn't clean out your ears and listen to everything that was said.

Florida also has immediate playing time to offer IN THIS CYCLE because they did NOT do as well as we did in recruiting Top 150 guys last year. That's just an undeniable fact. Florida does NOT have a bookend pair of 5-star OTs. The issue is not whether Florida had a "solid 23 class", the issue is whether they had any certifiable top-end guys in 2023 who pose an immediate lockdown on the starting job. Miami had some of those guys. Florida did not.

Why is that so hard to grasp?

Waiting for my flight so I decided to look at the All-SEC OL (first and second team, AP and coaches).

Ricky Stromber C (4* on 247, .8852 3* on the Composite)
Sedrick Van Prann C (Consensus 4*, .9713 Composite)
O'Cyrus Torrence OL (3* on 247, .8337 3* Composite)
Darnell Wright OT (Consensus 5*, .9943 Composite)
Emil Ekiyor, Jr. OL (Consensus 4*, .9496 Composite)
Warren McClendon OT (Consensus 4*, .9131 Composite)
Broderick Jones OT (Consensus 5*, .9947 Composite)
Nick Broeker OL (4* on 247, .8857 3* on the Composite)
Javion Cohen OG (4* on 247, .8951 4* Composite)
Tyler Steen OL (3* on 247, .8464 3* Composite)
Jovaughn Gwyn OG (4* on 247, .8937 Composite)
Will Campbell OL (Consensus 4*, .9830 Composite)
Dalton Wagner OL (4* on 247, .8639 3* on the Composite)
Javon Foster OT (3* on 247, .8316 3* Composite)
Beaux Limmer OT (3* on 247, .8741 3* Composite)
Ethan White OG (3* on 247, .8685 3* Composite)

Out of 16 All-SEC OL, all but 5 were rated a 4* on 247 and/or the 247 composite (and all but O'Cyrus for the first team guys). Obviously this is a very small sample size. I tend to agree stars matter less on the OL, but it also seems to be true that stars still matter on the OL.
Interesting. I see what you did there. Why select only the SEC? You do know that’s where most top prospect go right? Let’s take a look at the all-American list 1st, 2nd, 3rd team.

Peter Skoronski - OC (4* on 247, 0.9502 Composite)
O’Cyrus Torrence OT (3* on 247, 0.8337 Composite)
Olusegun Oluwatimi OT (2* on 247, 0.7667 Composite)
Cooper Beebe DT (3* on 247, 0.8415 Composite)
Joe Alt OT (4* on 247, 0.8901 Composite)
Andrew Voorhes OT (3* on 247, 0.8890 Composite)
John Michael Schmitz (3* on 247, 0.8442 Composite)
Paris Johnson OT (5* on 247, 0.9953 Composite)
Dewan Jones IOL (3* on 247, 0.8528 Composite)
Steve Avila OG (3* on 247, 0.8402 Composite)
Blake Freeland OT (3* on 247, 0.8456 Composite)
Alex Palczewski OT (3* on 247, 0.8344 Composite)
Jaxson Kirkland OT (3* on 247, 0.8669 Composite)
Christian Haynes OT (N/A)
Brett Neilon (4* on 247, 0.9199 Composite)

Again, OL is the least position where stars matter. Just for a bonus, some of the top OL regarded as a projected first rounder for the 2024 NFL draft.

Olumuyiwa Fashanu (3* on 247, 0.8871 Composite)
Jordan Morgan (3* on 247, 0.8356 Composite)
Jack Nelson (4* on 247, 0.9539 Composite)
Patrick Paul (3* on 247, 0.8185 Composite)
JC Latham (5* on 247, 0.9989 Composite)
Brandon Coleman (N/A)
Zion Nelson (3* on 247, 0.8426 Composite)

Interesting. I see what you did there. Why select only the SEC? You do know that’s where most top prospect go right? Let’s take a look at the all-American list 1st, 2nd, 3rd team.

Peter Skoronski - OC (4* on 247, 0.9502 Composite)
O’Cyrus Torrence OT (3* on 247, 0.8337 Composite)
Olusegun Oluwatimi OT (2* on 247, 0.7667 Composite)
Cooper Beebe DT (3* on 247, 0.8415 Composite)
Joe Alt OT (4* on 247, 0.8901 Composite)
Andrew Voorhes OT (3* on 247, 0.8890 Composite)
John Michael Schmitz (3* on 247, 0.8442 Composite)
Paris Johnson OT (5* on 247, 0.9953 Composite)
Dewan Jones IOL (3* on 247, 0.8528 Composite)
Steve Avila OG (3* on 247, 0.8402 Composite)
Blake Freeland OT (3* on 247, 0.8456 Composite)
Alex Palczewski OT (3* on 247, 0.8344 Composite)
Jaxson Kirkland OT (3* on 247, 0.8669 Composite)
Christian Haynes OT (N/A)
Brett Neilon (4* on 247, 0.9199 Composite)

Again, OL is the least position where stars matter. Just for a bonus, some of the top OL regarded as a projected first rounder for the 2024 NFL draft.

Olumuyiwa Fashanu (3* on 247, 0.8871 Composite)
Jordan Morgan (3* on 247, 0.8356 Composite)
Jack Nelson (4* on 247, 0.9539 Composite)
Patrick Paul (3* on 247, 0.8185 Composite)
JC Latham (5* on 247, 0.9989 Composite)
Brandon Coleman (N/A)
Zion Nelson (3* on 247, 0.8426 Composite)

I picked the SEC because it is known as the conference with the best line play, and because of what tends to happen when SEC DLs meet non-SEC OLs, and in the modern era of recruiting, a team from that conference often win NCs. I wasn't going to go conference by conference because, frankly, I do not give enough *****.

Regardless, you're essentially repeating a premise I acknowledged as likely true, without providing actual support for the premise (by, say, comparing OL to any other position), all to avoid a simple truth: stars matter. At every position.

And who is currently projecting Zion as a 1st round pick?

I picked the SEC because it is known as the conference with the best line play, and because of what tends to happen when SEC DLs meet non-SEC OLs, and in the modern era of recruiting, a team from that conference often win NCs. I wasn't going to go conference by conference because, frankly, I do not give enough *****.

Regardless, you're essentially repeating a premise I acknowledged as likely true, without providing actual support for the premise (by, say, comparing OL to any other position), all to avoid a simple truth: stars matter. At every position.

Bro, you can look across the board, from college to NFL, stars do not matter for OL. I used to work for recruiting service. Pound for pound, SEC isn’t the strongest conference for producing OLs. It’s Big10. Stars, when it comes to OL, matters to fans only. Lol. If a kid has the size and can move his feet, he’s good. Kinsler is perhaps ten times better than Okunola and was rather significantly lower. Plazz will be just fine.

Keep this in perspective. Jon Feliciano is the best OL we’ve had in the league in the past 15 years and was not even ranked. Yet we gotten KC McDermott, Trevor Darling, Navaughn Donaldson, and DJ Scaife over the years, all of which were ranked tops at their position for their class. And what have they done? I’ll wait.

Attachments

• 26BD2B08-A051-4772-A6EB-196BF7D90B86.png
    26BD2B08-A051-4772-A6EB-196BF7D90B86.png
    528.7 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:
Advertisement

And what do you mean who’s projecting Zion as a 1st round? Plenty of sources are. You gotta keep up.

Attachments

• 89D01566-08F5-4C28-B6D7-05BEB3ABF238.jpeg
    89D01566-08F5-4C28-B6D7-05BEB3ABF238.jpeg
    547.6 KB · Views: 2
  • D0DC0716-4077-48E7-9D40-B28268321049.jpeg
    D0DC0716-4077-48E7-9D40-B28268321049.jpeg
    157 KB · Views: 2
  • 3F7EB047-340C-4ADB-90B0-BA4332F3B6C8.jpeg
    3F7EB047-340C-4ADB-90B0-BA4332F3B6C8.jpeg
    752.2 KB · Views: 2
  • 702834D9-7375-4103-93A8-E8EAF0D54B50.jpeg
    702834D9-7375-4103-93A8-E8EAF0D54B50.jpeg
    436.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20E37E50-F0E6-4E68-A8D8-4DA957B4E51D.jpeg
    20E37E50-F0E6-4E68-A8D8-4DA957B4E51D.jpeg
    800.2 KB · Views: 2
Name them and cite them. Your attaching images instead of providing a link to source material is suspect. It's more suspect when it turns out one of those images comes from NFLDraftBuzz.com, which also lists Javion Cohen as the No. 7 OT, despite the fact he is (and has been) a guard. Seems like they need to keep up.

Bro, you can look across the board, from college to NFL, stars do not matter for OL. I used to work for recruiting service. Pound for pound, SEC isn’t the strongest conference for producing OLs. It’s Big10. Stars, when it comes to OL, matters to fans only. Lol. If a kid has the size and can move his feet, he’s good. Kinsler is perhaps ten times better than Okunola and was rather significantly lower. Plazz will be just fine.

Keep this in perspective. Jon Feliciano is the best OL we’ve had in the league in the past 15 years and was not even ranked. Yet we gotten KC McDermott, Trevor Darling, Navaughn Donaldson, and DJ Scaife over the years, all of which were ranked tops at their position for their class. And what have they done? I’ll wait.

OL is the hardest position to recruit, scout and develop. Complete crapshoot.

I mean Wisconsin for years dominated on the OL and no one ever heard of their recruiting prowess or any of the lineman the landed.

Sure there are some 5 star no doubt studs each year but after that it’s recruiting traits and the rest is coaching/development

Who told you that?.

Now at dl you got something but it aint overly true at Ol...and its the position where stars really doesnt matter as much because the dweebs doing the star ranking 100 percent dont know what they are evaluating on the ol..an just give the rankings based on who offered...which leads right back to the..sec who they placate.

An OL with an nc state or Pitt offer doesnt move the needle for you i bet...but to my eyes i would look at that offer more so than an Auburn or a Uf offer on the ol

Advertisement
OL is the hardest position to recruit, scout and develop. Complete crapshoot.

I mean Wisconsin for years dominated on the OL and no one ever heard of their recruiting prowess or any of the lineman the landed.

Sure there are some 5 star no doubt studs each year but after that it’s recruiting traits and the rest is coaching/development

QB is the hardest position to recruit, as well as OL. There's a reason the bust rates at every level are what they are for these 2 positions, and that reason is because they're the most cerebral positions on the field. You can't measure that at a camp or on a track. Ryan Leaf was an absolute can't miss prospect. But he had a $0.10 head. So on and so forth.

I am the world's biggest star *****. The literal only 2 positions on the field where I care the least what a prospect is ranked is QB and OL.

Advertisement
Advertisement
The gaytor went 6-7 last season and currently hold the #3 class. The gaytor commits have no issues with prior won/loss record and they're choosing to play for a HC that did nothing with the 4th overall pick in the nfl draft. Highly questionable. And yet they committed. It's interesting to compare and I have no clue why these cats would choose the gaytor over 10 win teams but they are.

Then you look at the Canes. MC dug himself into a hole and that's on him with his horrendous game day coaching and equally bad hiring decisions. I think recruits are looking at this more so than the team's record and with a watchful eye as for how they perform this season. Think it was Dmoney or Cribby, forget who, that said the season would be critically important to the future success of the program or something to that effect. MC has to put out a good product, fun product. Win 8 or 9 games. Be competitive. This I agree with.
I agree with some of what u saying but u cant in one instant say Mario dug himself in a coaching hole when the lizard did similar. Maybe we simply have to develop a mindset of overpaying until its humming on the field. Texas A&M was similarly terrible, so maybe its not coaching thats driving these decisions in alot of these cases.

Yep. You know that I've pointed out that UiF is cleaning up at LB this year. And the only reason you've got a shot at keeping Lagway is because he has nobody decent ahead of him on the depth chart.

****, you pretty much lost Simmons BECAUSE OF Lagway.

But people want to yap about how these recruits are "scared".

They just want to play. And if they are gonna take a flyer on a 2nd year head coach who didn't crack .500 last year, they want the playing time.

Not complicated.

THIS THIS THIS!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back