2024 Deryc Plazz, OT - Andrew Jackson HS (Jacksonville FL)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement

Deryc Plazz isn’t a name we’ve talked about much but the Jacksonville native has good size and says that the Hurricanes have been coming after him since offering in February. The 6-foot-6, 265-pounder, who has played some basketball in high school, had nothing but positive to say about the Hurricanes. He’s talked regularly with Mario Cristobal and Alex Mirabal. Cristobal was with the offensive line the entire practice and that was something that Plazz was pretty surprised to see based on how he’s seen other head coaches operate at practice. Plazz said he had a school in mind, but this Miami visit kind of shook up what he thought he felt about the process. NC State is one school pressing hard. He has an official visit set up with the Wolfpack in June. Florida State, Florida, Wake Forest, Pittsburgh, Rutgers, and Duke are others in the mix. He will go on a North Carolina swing where he will see the Wolfpack, Blue Devils, and Demon Deacons.

Advertisement

Interested to see these tweets and who we’re bringing back for officials. Outside of the blue chip guys, a lot of the spring is sizing guys up, always interested to see who’s a priority to the staff and not just looking at 247 rankings, especially on the OL

AB0B5FA1-DB92-4372-8722-B1051DE3A3A1.gif

Advertisement
Advertisement
What’s wrong with this take?

I like Plazz...But if you are assuming 5 OL does this mean bad news on a Brandon Baker, etc? Bc Gabby and a few others seems to think Ionotta is close to a lock, there is going to be some big names (and yes some of these "names" may be overrated) that people thought may be canes

So if we assume...

Minaya
Plazz
Ionotta

So now only 2 (and will that only be 1 possibly if Wiggins commits here for class of 23?) of... (going to try to keep it consensus/realistic and leave out Calhoun, McCoy long shots)

Pierre-Luis (may be DT?, Gabby is saying center, others saying guard)
Galbreath (TE? I would guess OL though)
Baker
Ahfua
Seaton (now at IMG and open to UM)
Harris
Zandamela
Daniels
Andrews

I just think many will be surprised that Plaza wasn't behind all these kids...I like the kid's film and trust Mirabal/Cristobal combo at this position though. Underrated.

Last edited:
Advertisement
I like Plazz...But if you are assuming 5 OL does this mean bad news on a Brandon Baker, etc? Bc Gabby and a few others seems to think Ionotta is close to a lock, there is going to be some big names (and yes some of these "names" may be overrated) that people thought may be canes

Minaya
Plazz
Ionotta

So now only 2 (and will that only be 1 possibly if Wiggins commits here for class of 23?) of... (going to try to keep it consensus/realistic and leave out Calhoun, McCoy long shots)

Baker
Ahfua
Seaton (now at IMG and talking UM interest)
Harris
Zandamela
Daniels
Andrews

I just think many will be surprised that Plaza wasn't behind all these kids...I like the kid's film and trust Mirabal/Cristobal combo at this position though. Underrated.

That’s a great question on Wiggins if he’s prioritized over Ionata. To be honest, I’m not sure how they stack the board at Center.

I know EPL is a take and would be one of the 5…or even 6 depending on how the rest of the class shakes out.

Like last year, Miami likes to secure the projects and swing for the fences on the big names.

Minaya
Plazz
Ionotta

Baker
Ahfua
Seaton (now at IMG and talking UM interest)
Harris
Zandamela
Daniels
Andrews

I think our OL class ends up being:

Minaya
Plazz
Ionotta
Baker
Ahfua

And maybe Pierre-Louis

Let me tell you something, OL is one of the positions where the recruiting sites suck bad at evaluating. Yes some players are that elite where anyone can grade them. A player who is 6'6, 260 how are you gonna rate him? Thats where Cristobal and Miribal and other great OL coaches around the country earn their money. I do not worry about the weight, particularly for tackles. Its height and traits like flexibility. Guards, its strength and traits, aggression etc. Former basketball player, instantly you know he is an athlete. Reel him in. Wont make the rankings look good. Remember Zion as a FR?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back