Derion Kendrick in the portal

If Manny wants to kick the tires, T-Rob should be well able to make an assessment. Forget about 2 years of eligibility, he's gone to the league post '21, if he even plays at the collegiate level this upcoming season. Yeah the talent's there, but repeatedly missing practices, meetings and failing drug tests (speculated)? Is the risk worth the reward? And that's IF he even wants to come. We hired T-Rob to handle the DB room, so if we pursue Kendrick, he should be able to get a feel for where the kid's head is. Risking a counter, and adding a problem-child to a defense with an overhauled staff seems unlikely, but that's why Manny and T-Rob (relatively) get paid the big bucks.

Advertisement
What’s more risky, taking a 1 year rental with a talent like Kendrick or continuing to play DJ Ivey??

Yes, Kendrick got cooked vs OH St, but Ivey got cooked vs GTech, Duke, FIU & Central Mich in 2019 & in 2020 got worked vs UAB, Clemson, NC St, UNC & OK St.

I’d rather take my chances with Kendrick out there vs Bama than Ivey, I know that much lol.

I don’t care if he’s not a choir boy, he’s better than every CB on our roster & if he’s available in the Portal I’d take him.
A strong leader would be all over this guy as a 1 year rental given the massive holes we have at CB. You pitch him that he can come in and show ***** Swinney he's full of **** and he can stuff it up his *** in the ACCCG. Problem is we're too scared to make power moves most of the time.

You've gotta be able and confident to build a team that is strong enough that one guy can't fck up the culture. If one guy can destroy your locker room, then your locker room is garbage.

Clemson is kicking Kendrick out for a reason. You don’t catch them by taking shortcuts and recycling their trash.

We took shortcuts in 2019 and lost to FIU.
You won’t catch them by playing guys who aren’t any good either.

I don’t think it’s accurate to assess it as taking Derion Kendrick would somehow destroy our season & result in us losing to teams like App St or Mich St.

He’s just one player & whatever his issues are, it’s not impossible that given a second chance somewhere that he wouldn’t straighten up & given what our current status is particularly on Defense we’re not really in a position to act as if we’re so high & mighty that we can’t give a good player a second chance.

We probably won’t even take a look at him, but my point is that he’s significantly better than Ivey & every other CB on our team for that matter, so I wouldn’t say that’s taking a shortcut, it’s simply adding a really good player at a position of need.

Miami has had all-world good boy teams & still lost to teams we have no business losing to. We didn’t lose to FIU because of “bad character” players, we lost to FIU because Manny Diaz & Dan Enox didn’t do their **** jobs in getting a team ready to play a bum school that we’ve owned every time we stepped on the field against them.

The constant harping on JT4 as if he was this awful person is really unfair, he was by far our most explosive WR during his time here & when he was put in position to make plays, he did. He played in an old antiquated offense that didn’t accentuate his skill set & he still was an electric spark when the opportunities were there. Idgaf how much of a headcase he was or how disruptive he might’ve been, had he played in Lashlee’s offense he would’ve been 20x more productive than Pope was & our offense would’ve been even better than it was.

I understand your point & don’t totally disagree with it, but I think the idea that if we added Kendrick that it would somehow spell doom & destroy our season just isn’t fair or realistic imo. At the very worse he would be a Trevon Hill type of add & at best he’d be a lockdown Corner for us alongside Stevenson & help improve the secondary.

I don’t see it as a huge risk, I mean honestly what would happen if he came here?

Last edited:
It was Manny’s fault. I’m hoping he learned from his mistakes.
fwiw Manny kicked him off the team. Shaq and the rest of the seniors said “they’d take care of it”. Yes it’s Manny’s team and he ****ed up, but he made a team decision. Lastly, each and every kid is different. I say take each case individually. I wouldn’t say any single kid can make or break a culture. One at a time. My2 everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Advertisement

I don’t think it’s accurate to assess it as taking Derion Kendrick would somehow destroy our season & result in us losing to teams like App St or Mich St.

He’s just one player & whatever his issues are, it’s not impossible that given a second chance somewhere that he wouldn’t straighten up & given what our current status is particularly on Defense we’re not really in a position to act as if we’re so high & mighty that we can’t give a good player a second chance.

We probably won’t even take a look at him, but my point is that is he’s significantly better than Ivey & every other CB on our team for that matter, so I wouldn’t say that’s taking a shortcut, it’s simply adding a really good player at a position of need.

Miami has had all-world good boy teams & still lost to teams we have no business losing to. We didn’t lose to FIU because of “bad character” players, we lost to FIU because Manny Diaz & Dan Enox didn’t do their **** jobs in getting a team ready to play a bum school that we’ve owned every time we stepped on the field against them.

The constant harping on JT4 as if he was this awful person is really unfair, he was by far our most explosive WR during his time here & when he was put in position to make plays, he did. He played in an old antiquated offense that didn’t accentuate his skill set & he still was an electric spark when the opportunities were there. Idgaf how much of a headcase he was or how disruptive he might’ve been, had he played in Lashlee’s offense he would’ve been 20x more productive than Pope was & our offense would’ve been even better than it was.

I understand your point & don’t totally disagree with it, but I think the idea that if we added Kendrick that it would somehow spell doom & destroy our season just isn’t fair or realistic imo. At the very worse he would be a Trevon Hill type of add & at best he’d be a lockdown Corner for us alongside Stevenson & help improve the secondary.

I don’t see it as a huge risk, I mean honestly what would happen if he came here?
facts

He may fart to loud on Diaz locker room, thats a bannable offense at the U.

King is a much more impactful player than Willis. And the NFL rejected Willis for a reason.
Well we can debate that and honestly, I wouldn't argue w you on it, but at the very least I'm sure you'd concede G Will was one of the most impactful and certainly one of the best we've had in a decade. And he had a TON of character issues. Like real scumbag type ****.

And he was just fine here.

The NFL is irrelevant to the discussion. We're talking about University of Miami Hurricanes football and what the players do when they're here. Don't matter to me if a dude is a bust at the NFL level or goes undrafted for whatever reason if they put on when they were in the Orange and Green. You look at it situation by situation.

Advertisement
Dabo is gonna change his stance on the portal and he’s clearing up space. He sees that there are quality players in the portal that have more than 1 year of eligibility. He’d rather deal with a new player of equal caliber than have to deal with a potential problem for another year.
He may be cleaning up his roster but I don't see him using the portal. He just gave another big speech the other day about his opposition to the portal in it's current form.

We probably won’t even take a look at him, but my point is that he’s significantly better than Ivey & every other CB on our team for that matter, so I wouldn’t say that’s taking a shortcut, it’s simply adding a really good player at a position of need.

To me, it’s about standards. Clemson built their dynasty by keeping high standards for character.

When Kendrick didn’t meet the standard, they kicked him out. If you’re always making exceptions you don’t really have a standard.

To me, it’s about standards. Clemson built their dynasty by keeping high standards for character.

When Kendrick didn’t meet the standard, they kicked him out. If you’re always making exceptions you don’t really have a standard.
That’s a fair point.

I guess I’m just arguing that talent & winning supersedes all imo.

Advertisement
He may be cleaning up his roster but I don't see him using the portal. He just gave another big speech the other day about his opposition to the portal in it's current form.
We'll see. Dabo likes to talk. He pretty much demoted one of his Day 1 coaches and assigned him to the transfer portal and talent scouting. Doesn't mean that he's going to go hard in the paint in the portal, but he's definitely looking to adapt. You almost have to.

Advertisement

Would be a titanic addition to whoever adds him. Stud baller. Would love to hear the staff is reaching out to him.

I wonder what’s behind the clear “mutual “ parting of ways..but I’d kick the tires for sure. Especially if he’ll look to enroll summer b. Not to mention we still don’t know what’s up with Al situation

Advertisement
Back