Dennis Erickson

Advertisement
And both rode another man's teams to championships.
Holy **** who gives a flying ****? They also both took over when another coach left for the NFL.
Why you f#cks are so hung up on who brought the players to the program I'll never understand.

Miami has a long history of short term coaches so that is inevitably going to happen.

Erickson had Jimmy's players, and Jimmy had Howard's players, but there was no resemblance between Erickson's offense and that of Johnson

Because he didn't accomplish anything with his full on program.

He won the Natty with Johnson's players and setup.

Furthermore, look at what he handed off.

Lastly, he has been fired from every coaching position since leaving Miami.
Was shocked when the 49ers hired him.

The season is sh*tty so I’m just talking but we hear a lot about the the Jimmy Johnson, schnellenberger and Butch Davis of the worlds in terms of head coaches at Miami but why is a guy like dennis Erickson never brought up in the same echelon as that group when he’s the most accomplished at Miami? I’ve always wondered this.
The Chuck and duck offense had hit an all time lows by the end of his tenure.

Advertisement
Advertisement
He was a F-ing Drunk who ONLY Won with JJs kids....Terrible recruiter....left the program in shambles...and was ABUSED by Bama in the NC game with the Stupidest Gameplan in UM History.

If only LT had the ball in his other hand....😡

Good points. Although he did take a lot of JUCO kids at Oregon State that led to a quick turn around.

Ironically, his offensive recruiting at Miami was part of his (and the team's) overall downfall. When the guys he recruited took over a majority of the starting positions in 1993, it was the offense that struggled. So much so that he even switched to a more traditional pro set offense with two running backs for a while. With little success.

The defense was able to maintain it's spot among the nation's best. Especially with stalwarts Ray Lewis and Warren Sapp (both Erickson recruits) leading the way. The 1994 team was a couple of plays away from a national title despite Lacking much punch on offense besides running back James Stewart.
Erickson totally lucked into both Sapp and Lewis-Sapp was recruited as a 2 star tight end out of Apopka- Dennis had no idea that Sapp would become a first ballot hall of famer as a defensive tackle - as for Ray- well ray was a lifelong Seminole fan- but he was spurned by Bowden for his low ACT scores- Ray was so enraged by this treatment that when he got qualified ACT scores he vowed to sign with FSUs arch rival-Miami- and the rest -as they say is history

Erickson was a smart offensive coach. He won with JJs players, for the most part. The 92 loss to Bama was the beginning of the end for him. I’m not sure there was a game plan he could have had to win this game. The Miami OL was bad and Bama defense was one of the best. Might have been as good as the Bama defenses under Saban.

Erickson had a bit of a comeback in 94. Had they not blown the OB against Nebraska they would have ended up #2. Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, Kernard Lang, Kenny Holmes, Patrick Riley, Rohan Marley.. a great defense. All Erickson recruits BTW. He was not a complete tool in this area. Oddly, his worst recruiting was offense. Costa and Collins? Ricky Perry and Zev Lumelski? Ugh.

Rewatch the 94 FSU game.

His failing was he had no discipline and this ran downstream to his coaches and players.

Fairly and justly criticized for leaving the program in a shambles with the NCAA.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Why??....wouldn't have mattered anyway...

Granted we were down 2 or I think 3 TDS but it was middle of the 3rd quarter. If we could have made that play and scored then or immediately after to put us within a couple of scores in the 3rd with plenty of time left .... we at least had a decent chance ( recognizing this is speculation and hindsight of course).

Erickson was a smart offensive coach. He won with JJs players, for the most part. The 92 loss to Bama was the beginning of the end for him. I’m not sure there was a game plan he could have had to win game. The Miami OL was bad and Bama defense was one of the best. Might have been as good as the Bama defenses under Saban.

Erickson had a bit of a comeback in 94. Had they not blown the OB against Nebraska they would have ended up #2. Warren Sapp, Ray Lewis, Kernard Lang, Kenny Holmes, Patrick Riley, Rohan Marley.. a great defense. All Erickson recruits BTW. He was not a complete tool in this area. Oddly, his worst recruiting was offense. Costa and Collins? Ricky Perry and Zev Lumelski? Ugh.

Rewatch the 94 FSU game.

His failing was he had no discipline and this ran downstream to his coaches and players.

Fairly and justly criticized for leaving the program in a shambles with the NCAA.
Did you read what I just posted?!!! Erickson and his staff sucked at recruiting- he got lucky with both Sapp and Lewis- and it was Bryce- the girl beater - that told Dennis to recruit Kenny Holmes- after Homes sacked Bryce 7 times when his high school played Holmes’ Vero Beach high school!!!- got it????

Dennis Erickson = Larry Coker

That's why
You obviously weren't around 30-35 years ago. Erickson won everywhere he ever coached before winning the 2 NCs at Miami. He won in the PAC 10 with Washington State (formerly the league doormat) when USC was a program almost like Bama is today.

To compare Erickson to Coker is totally whacky. Dennis might've been the hottest coaching hire (when UM signed him up) as there was in the country; much more in demand than Schnelly or JJ were when they were hired.

Advertisement
Very sensitive topic for me as I am an old school cane. I love Coach Erickson. I think what he did in 89, 90, 91 AND 92 was amazing. I know we should have won 4 in a row. He won 2 in 4 years. Guy was a great HC. Drunk, yes. So what? All I know is that we were always ranked in the top 3 with him in charge and I never enjoyed watching Miami football more than I did when Dennis Erickson was head coach.

Erickson totally lucked into both Sapp and Lewis-Sapp was recruited as a 2 star tight end out of Apopka- Dennis had no idea that Sapp would become a first ballot hall of famer as a defensive tackle - as for Ray- well ray was a lifelong Seminole fan- but he was spurned by Bowden for his low ACT scores- Ray was so enraged by this treatment that when he got qualified ACT scores he vowed to sign with FSUs arch rival-Miami- and the rest -as they say is history
Did you read what I just posted?!!! Erickson and his staff sucked at recruiting- he got lucky with both Sapp and Lewis- and it was Bryce- the girl beater - that told Dennis to recruit Kenny Holmes- after Homes sacked Bryce 7 times when his high school played Holmes’ Vero Beach high school!!!- got it????

Yes, I read your post after I wrote mine. I don’t care about your opinion. You’re an idiot.

Sapp may have not been a top recruit, and it does not matter. No one knew Sapp would end up a first ballot NFL HOF. Erickson and his staff were quick to realize his potential at DT and moved him.

Lewis was a late qualifier but I have never hear or read of his love for FSU as a teenager. Nor does it matter. Miami saw his play and offered him a scholarship. He accepted.

I do remember Erickson mentioning Holmes sacking Bryce seven times in a game. So what? Recruiting was different then. Coaches learned about in many different ways.

All three cases were a job well done.

There are plenty of other poor recruiting choices in Erickson’s history.

Advertisement
Back