Dennis Erickson

Advertisement
His one back offense cost us a NC....His lazy *** recruiting cost us another one in 94 with Frank Costa as a QB..

You don't get the point I am making. Whatever. And btw, I was also an avid game/practice attender back during that time. We are all super fans.

Really. You had to go there to make your point? I might not be able to keep food down for the rest of the day.

YOU. KNOW. BETTER.
Its true....it ended up costing us a NC....Lose to F-ing BYU with the talent we had??....He was Completely outcoached in that game....go back and watch....

Calm down. Clearly, I’ve seen it; watched it on TV live. I actually mentioned the game/loss a month or two ago on CIS.

But did you really have to bring up one of the worst losses in Miami history? And, if you’re being honest … Jimmy Johnson threw away AT LEAST 2 other National Championships, so why load up on Dennis?
Because DE won ONLY with JJs kids...BOTTOMLINE....Once JJs kids left at the end of 92....Erickson was exposed as a Garbage recruiter...

Advertisement
from the official NCAA release on the matter...i accept your apology

"During the 1985-89 through 1991-92 academic years, numerous football student-athletes received financial aid in excess of a full athletics scholarship when they were compensated during the academic year for employment arranged by two former student-athletes. "

here's the link you dummy
https://web3.ncaa.org/lsdbi/search/miCaseView/report?id=101764

You idiot, that's a typo.

There is no such thing as a 1985-89 academic year.

Tony Russell didn't even work at UM until 1988. The UM Pell Grant problem was from the 1988-89 school year through the 1991-92 school year. I was going to UM at the time.

But, hey, there are plenty of other news reports:

"In return, Russell received kickbacks of $85 to $100 from each of the students for about $15,000 between 1989 and 1991."

"Russell had admitted to falsifying Pell Grant applications for 91 students, 85 of them student-athletes, including 57 football players. The applications were made between 1989 and 1991 and netted the students $173,744."

"According to the indictment from the U.S. attorney's office, more than $220,000 in Pell Grant funds were obtained fraudulently between June 1989 and June 1991, and 356 documents were falsified by 91 present or former Miami students, all but several of them athletes."

"Russell has declined interviews since his court-appointed attorney took over the case. But he said in earlier interviews that he began falsifying forms as a high school football coach in Pompano Beach, Fla., in the 1970s because some of his most needy students would otherwise be unable to attend college. He estimated that over a dozen years, he submitted up to 600 financial aid applications for Pell grants on behalf of students at 20 colleges."

"Tony Russell, the former University of Miami Athletic Department employee under investigation for reportedly falsifying Pell Grant information, was fired from West Virginia State College in 1988 for misusing the school's telephone while soliciting money for personal gain, a West Virginia State official said...The Charleston Gazette in 1988 reported that Russell submitted a letter of resignation on June 3 while being investigated for mailing a chain letter stamped by the college's postal meter."

Look at you, calling people "dummy" when you have no clue.

Nobody is going to apologize to you. You need to apologize to everyone else for the falsehoods you have posted.

Last edited:

It was from the 1988-89 school year through the 1991-92 school year. I was going to UM at the time.

"In return, Russell received kickbacks of $85 to $100 from each of the students for about $15,000 between 1989 and 1991."

BOOM.....@ Mike Thot....Mr Know it all....

Advertisement

It was from the 1988-89 school year through the 1991-92 school year. I was going to UM at the time.

also from the NCAA report:

During the 1985-86 through 1991-92 academic years, numerous football student-athletes received financial aid that exceeded the value of a full grant-in-aid when they received compensation for employment during the academic year. Two former University of Miami football student-athletes arranged the employment.

also so the NCAA report:

tal during those years of $412,348.43 in excess financial aid. (Following the hearing, on November 21, 1995, the institution submitted information indicating that these overpayments may have started as early as 1986.)

SPOT ON , Brock so true Dennis was special , I'll always remember the Cotton Bowl when his Cane shined and told the referee who *****ing about penalties "THIS GAME IS ALREADY WON" Dennis turned and jogged off to locker room , players loved Dennis TOP FLIGHT in my book

This is a RIDICULOUS reason to lionize Erickson. Anyone who knows anything about UM football knows that Erickson was trying to rein in the players during the 1990 season, and that it was the PLAYERS who chose to celebrate during the 1991 Cotton Bowl.

Some of the players may have liked Erickson, but they were certainly ****ed off at him at that point in the season.

Advertisement
He was the equal to Schnelly and JJ????....Maannnn STFU....He Won with JJs kids....his recruiting Sucked...Innovator???...Lol....Yeah....tell Gene Stallings what an innovator he was....
And JJ won with Schnelly's recruits. What's new?

JJ let Maryland come back from a 31-0 deficit, at the OB, to lose. Players didn't execute for him on Hail Flutie play, or in what woulda been a NC game against Tennessee in the '86 Sugar Bowl. Not to mention the Penn State debacle in the desert.

Do you really think Schnelly or JJ, as much as I love 'em, would've come out clean in any sort of NCAA investigation? My guess is a loud "No."

And JJ won with Schnelly's recruits. What's new?

JJ let Maryland come back from a 31-0 deficit, at the OB, to lose. Players didn't execute for him on Hail Flutie play, or in what woulda been a NC game against Tennessee. Do you really think Schnelly or JJ, as much as I love 'em, could've come out clean in any sort of NCAA investigation? My guess is a loud "No."
No.....Jerome was being held the ENTIRE game....ESPECIALLY on the Hail Mary in which he was held and brought to the ground...Watch the play....Lol at JJ winning with all Howards kids.....JJs Coaching staff wiped their Azzes with Howards...

Advertisement
also so the NCAA report:

tal during those years of $412,348.43 in excess financial aid. (Following the hearing, on November 21, 1995, the institution submitted information indicating that these overpayments may have started as early as 1986.)

Again, you are ridiculous. Tony Russell did not start working at UM until 1988.

You are too ignorant to realize this, but there were OTHER financial aid issues at UM BESIDES the Pell Grants. One involved UM miscalculating the housing allowance for players who lived off-campus.

The other issue was that the Bookstore did not stamp the books properly as "Property of UM Athletic Department", thus players were able to sell their books back every semester. I know this for a fact, I was a tutor for the Athletic Department, and every textbook I purchased in order to tutor players was stamped as the property of the Athletic Department (I tutored AFTER the Bookstore corrected the issue).

If you weren't such an buffoonish cut-and-paste hack, you would realize that the amount of the "excess financial aid" that you cite IS ABOUT DOUBLE THAT OF THE PELL GRANTS.

Yes, Miami screwed up textbooks and housing allowances before Tony Russell and Dennis Erickson were hired. NO, the Pell Grant issue only took place while Erickson was the coach.

also from the NCAA report:

During the 1985-86 through 1991-92 academic years, numerous football student-athletes received financial aid that exceeded the value of a full grant-in-aid when they received compensation for employment during the academic year. Two former University of Miami football student-athletes arranged the employment.

Are you just a glutton for punishment? Are you only capable of quoting from the NCAA report because you DON'T KNOW and you WEREN'T THERE? Do you have a glossy, bound copy of the NCAA report under your pillow?

"Numerous" (actually, a few) football players took outside jobs, such as working security at the Grove Arts Festival. Yes, some of the former football players reached out to (then) current football players to do security jobs.

You want the rest?

Yes, a couple of football players were suspended in 1986 for taking a "below-market" lease on an apartment, an apartment that was next to the trash chute and had been unable to be rented.

Yes, a couple of football players were suspended in 1986 for getting rental cars from that old car rental agency in downtown Gables.

Yes, a couple of football players had to repay students in 1986 for using their phone calling card numbers (ah, the good old days).

I'm just trying to get everything out in the open so that you don't keep quoting some generic nonsense from your personal copy of the NCAA report.

Sabans last recruiting class NEVER gets the accolades it Richly deserves...
THATS the class that got the ball rolling......

Advertisement
Back