David Gilbert IS our mystery commit!!

If this ends up being a Jarvis Jones where USC wouldn't clear him and he's actually fine to play then I'm all for it.. but the dude is one step away from hurting that foot again so how much contribution could we expect? I don't know.

It's a no lose situation. If he's healthy, great, he'll probably contribute. If he's not, oh well, he's gone next year regardless.

Advertisement
If this ends up being a Jarvis Jones where USC wouldn't clear him and he's actually fine to play then I'm all for it.. but the dude is one step away from hurting that foot again so how much contribution could we expect? I don't know.

It's a no lose situation. If he's healthy, great, he'll probably contribute. If he's not, oh well, he's gone next year regardless.

True.

Agree, no lose situation with this kid. Hope he gets healthy and gets on the field this year... I think Tyrik McCord put the most pressure on the QB last season on limited 3rd down duty, IMO

222.gif

David Gilbert's career was thought to have ended due to multiple foot injuries. His career isn't over -- just the one at Wisconsin. Gilbert made the decision to transfer to an ACC program.

"Ex-Badger defensive end David Gilbert is transferring to the University of Miami," Jon Gorman of BadgerBlitz.com tweeted.

"...Gilbert will be playing at Miami. Certainly raises a few questions."

A new staff and new defensive scheme may have played a part in Gilbert's decision. He was going to be asked to convert from defensive end to outside linebacker. He won't be asked to do the same at Miami.

Miami is an ideal situation for Gilbert on two fronts. First, the Coral Springs native will now be close to home. Gilbert can also be a part of Miami's defensive end rotation. He won't be asked to be the Hurricanes' primary edge defender. His repetitions can be limited which should help with his injury situation.

Advertisement
Im hoping the article took for granted that the kid liked the new coaching staff. Bc I would think if he indeed wants to play, contrary to what the article says, then the reason he left is bc maybe he wasn't feeling the new staff so well.

Maybe the new staff wants their own players, same as Golden did. He is a fifth year senior with injury history. Why not use the scholly on a player that you have chosen and have 4 years to develop?

On Miami's end it is just a simply case of low risk, high reward. He will use a scholly that was already open, if he is a cancer he gets booted, and the scholly comes available again next year. No real downside only upside

You don't run players like Gilbert off. You run off garbage not one of your best defensive players.

Im hoping the article took for granted that the kid liked the new coaching staff. Bc I would think if he indeed wants to play, contrary to what the article says, then the reason he left is bc maybe he wasn't feeling the new staff so well.

Maybe the new staff wants their own players, same as Golden did. He is a fifth year senior with injury history. Why not use the scholly on a player that you have chosen and have 4 years to develop?

On Miami's end it is just a simply case of low risk, high reward. He will use a scholly that was already open, if he is a cancer he gets booted, and the scholly comes available again next year. No real downside only upside

You don't run players like Gilbert off. You run off garbage not one of your best defensive players.

are you implying that Gilbert got run off and he's garbage? Or are you implying that Gilbert, being one of the best defensive players, left on his own volition and against the wishes of the new coaches at Wisconsin?

Advertisement

are you implying that Gilbert got run off and he's garbage? Or are you implying that Gilbert, being one of the best defensive players, left on his own volition and against the wishes of the new coaches at Wisconsin?

Just speculating. Could also be he is tired of ****** Wisconsin

He is saying that Gilbert made the decision to leave, and the coaches probably wanted him back. Which I totally agree with...you do not just let a player of his caliber walk.

Hey, give this staff credit for hustling and working its tail off. Here they are at the 11th hour taking a flier on a quality kid, who if healthy plugs into a defensive end rotation. He's not a star, but he's potentially a nice piece. Again, it's a one-year rental and a no-lose situation.

Advertisement

He is saying that Gilbert made the decision to leave, and the coaches probably wanted him back. Which I totally agree with...you do not just let a player of his caliber walk.

Thank you.

This kid plays better then any of our current d-ends. He's more then a "nice" player. If healthy he is the most productive player on the dline.

This kid plays better then any of our current d-ends. He's more then a "nice" player. If healthy he is the most productive player on the dline.

Agreed. This is a guy who was literally on the field for Wisconsin whenever he was healthy since his freshman year.

Advertisement
Hey, give this staff credit for hustling and working its tail off. Here they are at the 11th hour taking a flier on a quality kid, who if healthy plugs into a defensive end rotation.

Best post in the thread.

We lose Bond (allegedly) and get a 5th year.

Thank you.

Especially a very good dlineman. They have been really good for years now and letting a top guy like him go is not what they need right now

Advertisement
Back