David Gilbert IS our mystery commit!!

I agree with the poster in the other thread that said this could be damage control because Bond might not make it. I dont know if thats a good thing or bad thing. But buddy looks pretty solid. Cant hurt us. And god knows we need help along the Dline.

Advertisement
I know Shayon Green hasn't done much of anything in a Canes uniform...but I'm rooting for him to do well at the DE spot this year, just to show what kind of developers of talent Golden and the staff can be.

I hate when people diss guys like Green (just to be clear, you aren't, which I appreciate). This kid has had one **** of a journey. People forget though, that he was the leading tackler last season. I'm rooting for him, too.

http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=205809860

honestly, numbers can be miss leading. he plays hard but his job is to put pressure on the qb. if you look at the stats jr smith averaged 18 pts for the knicks but watch a game and tell me it was a good 18 pts

Advertisement
So what's the word? Is he playing this year or not?

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES. HOW MANY MILLION TIMES DOES THIS HAVE TO HAPPEN FOR PEOPLE TO UNDERSTAND: 5th YEAR GUYS WHO HAVE GRADUATED CAN TRANSFER AND PLAY IMMEDIATELY. RUSSELL WILSON. KIRK IN BASKETBALL.

honestly, numbers can be miss leading. he plays hard but his job is to put pressure on the qb. if you look at the stats jr smith averaged 18 pts for the knicks but watch a game and tell me it was a good 18 pts

No, ONE of his jobs is to put pressure on the QB. Given our lack of depth and talent on defense, any guy who leads the team in tackles can't be unilaterally ***** on. The kid has given both legs and his wrist to the team and will likely be getting around with a walker by the time he's 40. I think some respect and appreciation for that is appropriate.

if this guy is healthy, it will take pressure of AQM who everyone would expect to dominate.

Advertisement
I know Shayon Green hasn't done much of anything in a Canes uniform...but I'm rooting for him to do well at the DE spot this year, just to show what kind of developers of talent Golden and the staff can be.

I hate when people diss guys like Green (just to be clear, you aren't, which I appreciate). This kid has had one **** of a journey. People forget though, that he was the leading tackler last season. I'm rooting for him, too.

http://www.hurricanesports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=28700&ATCLID=205809860

I don't know anyone not rooting for Shayon, but hoping for development is for guys with physical upside who underperform and need to be coached up. Shayon is playing at 110% of his potential based on his knees. I love him for that, but there is only so much coaching you can give the guy. The reality is that he is a liability on passing downs because he isn't a threat to get up field. Unless you have a pure speed rush end, sacks happen when the pocket gets collapsed from both sides. Look at the number of times last year Chick was able to get up field but the quarterback just scrambled away from him because there was no pressure from the other side. Shayon still has a role run-stopping, but we need something else for the pass rush.

Last edited:
if this guy is healthy, it will take pressure of AQM who everyone would expect to dominate.

I know it's wishful thinking, but I hope most fans are smart enough to know that it is highly unlikely that freshman DE will come right in and dominate

Look, I don't think anybody is rooting against him. I think he is a often injured guy who has persevered through some pretty bad breaks and is completely playing in a position where its tough for him to succeed. At his size and arm length, DE is a terrible fit. He might've been our leading tackler last year, but that defense was horrendous. Perryman is the leading tackler if healthy, and Eddie Johnson if he isn't suspended all the time.

I think were just hoping for more talent and play making ability.

Advertisement

That aside--bringing in this Gilbert kid is great for DE depth. Even if he's just serviceable in a limited number of reps, another good body in the DE rotation (with Bond/Kamalu looking like longshots to qualify) is a great thing.

Trust me I hope and pray to Jesus Christ that Shayon green does well, I just find it highly unlikely, but please, by all means prove me wrong Shayon

...and I've never said that Shayon is a great DE. But, he was the best we had last year, and I'm sure he'll get PT this year, too, depending on how some other guys develop. The point is that you can't ***** on a kid who's doing his best (and contributing). ***** on the previous coaching staff for putting us in the position where a kid with no knees is the best option we have. That isn't Shayon's fault.

Advertisement
I hope this Gilbert guy can provide the goods. People need to stop hating on Shayon Green. He's provided valuable playing time and been loyal over the years for the Canes. It's not his fault we haven't been able to recruit 5 star prospects everywhere and that he got hurt early in his career. Hopefully he can have a strong season and put in some work.

There are a lot of good kids with stories of struggle. People in this world struggle much more than he ever has, and I'm not showing any disrespect for his struggles/triumphs overcoming them.

But he's not a UM level player, let alone starter, and his play on the field is something that on a FOOTBALL BOARD, I think should be open to discussion/criticism.

I know it's wishful thinking, but I hope most fans are smart enough to know that it is highly unlikely that freshman DE will come right in and dominate

i know that was my point. earl moore, dequan ivory, jelani, grimble, pierre, mccord, were all forced to play before they were ready. aqm would come in, be expected by fans to get a ton of sacks. then when he didnt, they will start calling him a bust. i almost all dl should be redshirted.

i know that was my point. earl moore, dequan ivory, jelani, grimble, pierre, mccord, were all forced to play before they were ready. aqm would come in, be expected by fans to get a ton of sacks. then when he didnt, they will start calling him a bust. i almost all dl should be redshirted.[/QUOTE]

Remember, this guy was good enough to play 10 Big Ten games in his freshman year! He's is no JAG.

Advertisement
Back