Dave Clawson

Yeah his north eastern Al Golden like career just screams Miami. Really knows the area, being from NY & having never coached south of Winston-Salem.
Or maybe its that resume. A real who's who of big time schools. Albany, Buffalo, Lehigh, Villanova, Fordham, Richmond, Bowling Green & 1 year running the always powerful Tennessee offense.

Or how about that 136-124 career record & that 3-4 bowl record?

For the love of god, stop falling in love with the flavor of the moment. Last week it was Stoops. Week before that it was the Arkansas coach. I'd like to see more than "won in a down year in the ACC."

We can do better.

Since Al Golden did it at temple and Clawson is doing this at a power 5 conference with 2 and 3 stars right…

Advertisement
Yeah his north eastern Al Golden like career just screams Miami. Really knows the area, being from NY & having never coached south of Winston-Salem.

Or maybe its that resume. A real who's who of big time schools. Albany, Buffalo, Lehigh, Villanova, Fordham, Richmond, Bowling Green & 1 year running the always powerful Tennessee offense.

For the love of god, stop falling in love with the flavor of the moment. Last week it was Stoops. Week before that it was the Arkansas coach. I'd like to see more than "won in a down year in the ACC."

We can do better.
Those three guys all seem pretty good to me but I know there is better out there. Just curious, who do you propose?

Wake is different. It’s a school where no top players want to go. This guy makes chicken salad out of chicken 💩. Imagine if he got actual talent? Look at James Franklin at penn state when he was at Vandy. Vandy is def a different beast then penn state and he’s doing just fine. I want a coach who develops guys plus he’s already beating teams in the conference we are playing in.
You’re not wrong at all. I go to a lot of wake games because my brother graduated from there and has season tickets. They would have beat us last year if that didn’t get cancelled.

He’s got my main trait of a HC.. hiring good coordinators. He had Mike Elko before Notre Dame stole him. Ruggiero is great. His current DC is gonna be a household name before too long. Won tons of awards in FCS before Clawson hired him.

Advertisement
Wake is different. It’s a school where no top players want to go. This guy makes chicken salad out of chicken 💩. Imagine if he got actual talent? Look at James Franklin at penn state when he was at Vandy. Vandy is def a different beast then penn state and he’s doing just fine. I want a coach who develops guys plus he’s already beating teams in the conference we are playing in.

Yeah, He's beating teams with a roster who's average age is 40, He's only had three 10 or more win seasons in a 22 year career, and His offense is boring AF.

That'll be a hard pass from me.

So he’s undefeated with much less talent but wouldn’t be successful with much more talent? Hmm
Don't think the talent gap is near as wide amd institutional culture and expectations.

I'd argue there is no talent gap. MSUs RB was a Wake transfer (I think)

Advertisement
Last time I watched Wake they discussed at length that he recruits guys that he knows will be around for 4/5 years, that he prefers an “old” team.
You want to completely change the type of player that’s recruited to Miami? fine… But don’t ***** about it later.

We can do better.
It’s Stoops for me this week too

Advertisement
Should be the hire if it’s not Mario. That is all. It makes the most sense. Does the most with less and is already at a school with academic requirements.

His DB Coach at Wake is Paul Williams. How long will it take this board to turn on Clawson if he brings Williams back to CG? 30 seconds.

“Does more with less” is the worst reason to hire a coach at Miami.

“Does more with less” is what got us Al Golden.

Miami needs an NFL coach, not some yokel G5 bum.
Dunno, seems we're consistently seeing less accomplished with more talent. Reversing that trend doesn't seem too bad to me. Though admittedly no insight re: Clawson.
Refresh my memory, but I thought Gloden was perceived as an up & comer (affordable) who sold his vision (notebook) to the powers that be at UM.

You’re not wrong at all. I go to a lot of wake games because my brother graduated from there and has season tickets. They would have beat us last year if that didn’t get cancelled.

He’s got my main trait of a HC.. hiring good coordinators. He had Mike Elko before Notre Dame stole him. Ruggiero is great. His current DC is gonna be a household name before too long. Won tons of awards in FCS before Clawson hired him.

Good points, but IMO his coaching philosophy and personality wont work at Miami. What do you think about Chadwell?

Advertisement
Good points, but IMO his coaching philosophy and personality wont work at Miami. What do you think about Chadwell?
Chadwell was my brother’s college roommate their first 2 years at ETSU before my brother transferred to Wake Forest. He used to stop by the house when I was younger and he was coaching at ETSU. Great guy but he reminds me of Mike Gundy (not just the mullet) or Satterfield. Country guy and old school personality. A lot of people probably say he wouldn’t fit.. I can’t make up my mind on that. You would have said the same about Jimmy, Butch, and Dennis.. Chadwell definitely doesn’t have the charisma Jimmy had though.

Good coach. Good X&O guy and I like his scheme. I’d be concerned about his lack of connections for staff at this level. He’d likely lose his DC because he’d probably get the HC job at Coastal.

I'd rather coach at a place like Wake or Ole **** where there are no expectations. You need your head examined if you decide to coach here.

We can do better.
I’m with you right up until that last line

Kidding

Kinda

Those three guys all seem pretty good to me but I know there is better out there. Just curious, who do you propose?
I have a favorite (Mario), but its probably not the reasons everyone else wants him. Otherwise its more of a checklist than a specific name though.

I want someone who has experience recruiting 4 & 5* recruits. Someone who has actually done it before and knows how to talk to them. Clawson for example has signed two 4* in his entire career. One was 24 spots away from being a 3*. I'd prefer someone who knows how to deal with those types instead of thinking they're the smartest guy in the room and can just win without the top prospects if they say no thanks. Ideally they'd also be familiar with recruiting in the south in general, since there are some positions that we'll have to leave the state for.

I'm over the big 10 lifers. The northeast is different than the south. Guys like Fickle who have never coached outside of Ohio don't make sense to me. There are a few guys like that being thrown around. Really want to avoid an ******* like Schiano too. And there's a difference between an ******* and a disciplinarian.

Also don't want someone who intends to use UM as a quick stop on the way to a Penn State or LSU or the NFL. That will just leave us in the same ****** position in 4 years.

One final thing is I'd like a coach who isn't running an outdated O. I don't mean an O that's just hit or miss. I mean.. No more pro style offenses or ground and pound offenses or whatever the **** Enos ran. Those are outdated and we'll hate the **** out of them for it.
Stoops (who I don't necessarily dislike) runs one of these. Kentucky is 22nd rush yards per game but only 97 in pass attempts. That would not exactly be well received here.

Nobody we can bring in will be perfect, but some stuff should just be common sense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back