Dave Clawson

Advertisement
I'd be good with Clawson if the these guys say no: Mario, Lane, Fickell and Mark S. I think we could do far far worse and I'll bet we could get him.

And, I could care less about the "cultural aspect." If he comes in and runs a professional org and we're regularly winning the Coastal for starters, he will overcome (just like our other successful coaches did) any cultural stuff.

Clawson and M Stoops are definitely climbing the charts as far as I'm concerned.

Don't think the talent gap is near as wide amd institutional culture and expectations.

I'd argue there is no talent gap. MSUs RB was a Wake transfer (I think)
There is a massive talent gap. Its not even close. They develop their players and usually play older players that have been at wake a couple years.

Last time I watched Wake they discussed at length that he recruits guys that he knows will be around for 4/5 years, that he prefers an “old” team.
You want to completely change the type of player that’s recruited to Miami? fine… But don’t ***** about it later.
We have an "old team" right now and it's not exactly an inspiring product to watch.

Advertisement
Al Golden came from Temple....Clawson is and has been beating ACC teams. I agree with the flavor of the moment thing. In fairness, if this guy can annually get Wake Forest of all schools to the mid tier bowls, I'd like to see what he can do with Miami talent.

Not my 1st choice though
I have no idea if a guy like Clawson could succeed here. Because the definition of success is light years different from what it is at Wake.

I cannot get on board with Clawson. Just a handful of years ago everyone was just as hot and heavy over David Cutcliffe after his 10-4 season (and respectable 9 and 8 win subsequent seasons). Clawsons record has been mediocre at best and I'm judging that relative to the competition. Yes he's off to a good start this year but the dude has been a HC for almost 23 years and has a grand total of two 10 win seasons.

I cannot get on board with Clawson. Just a handful of years ago everyone was just as hot and heavy over David Cutcliffe after his 10-4 season (and respectable 9 and 8 win subsequent seasons). Clawsons record has been mediocre at best and I'm judging that relative to the competition. Yes he's off to a good start this year but the dude has been a HC for almost 23 years and has a grand total of two 10 win seasons.
He's the flavor of the month for sure. We need a program builder. One guy who might be able to do it is Jim Leavitt. But I doubt he'd be on the list.

They have no idea beyond some vagaries about Miami being an urban evironment.
people always talk about "fit" but the most successful coaches here have been Butch Davis (Oklahoma born), Dennis Erickson (Washington born), Jimmy Johnson (Texas). None of these guys were from Miami and arguably this board would say all three would be a pass now based upon that.

Winning at Temple and winning at Power 5 conference are two completely different beasts. Clawson is beating teams we would have to beat and Al golden was beating Miami of Ohio/Bowling Green with his best record as 9-4 there.

Advertisement
There is a massive talent gap. Its not even close. They develop their players and usually play older players that have been at wake a couple years.
Developing is the one area people don‘t get. We have a bunch of talent , it just hasn’t been developed. Talent is useless if you have a bunch of garbage coaching them.

Real ?, and shout out to @allboutthechu for highlighting this, but can someone definitively explain what does “fit” mean to coach this team?

Strongly prefers a stiff colada over American drip coffee.
Is certain that real men wear jewelry.
Understands that a$$ > ****.
Has a "signature" look (e.g., smokes a pipe, has great hair, wears a tie, has a beard, etc...).
Constantly concerned about the "brand".
Either played football at UM or didn't play college ball at all.

In reality, it's all just BS. Fit hasn't worked here for nearly two decades. Bring in a winner and don't worry about how he wins.

Advertisement
So he’s undefeated with much less talent but wouldn’t be successful with much more talent? Hmm

Is it really as simple as that?
I have a favorite (Mario), but its probably not the reasons everyone else wants him. Otherwise its more of a checklist than a specific name though.

I want someone who has experience recruiting 4 & 5* recruits. Someone who has actually done it before and knows how to talk to them. Clawson for example has signed two 4* in his entire career. One was 24 spots away from being a 3*. I'd prefer someone who knows how to deal with those types instead of thinking they're the smartest guy in the room and can just win without the top prospects if they say no thanks. Ideally they'd also be familiar with recruiting in the south in general, since there are some positions that we'll have to leave the state for.

I'm over the big 10 lifers. The northeast is different than the south. Guys like Fickle who have never coached outside of Ohio don't make sense to me. There are a few guys like that being thrown around. Really want to avoid an ******* like Schiano too. And there's a difference between an ******* and a disciplinarian.

Also don't want someone who intends to use UM as a quick stop on the way to a Penn State or LSU or the NFL. That will just leave us in the same ****** position in 4 years.

One final thing is I'd like a coach who isn't running an outdated O. I don't mean an O that's just hit or miss. I mean.. No more pro style offenses or ground and pound offenses or whatever the **** Enos ran. Those are outdated and we'll hate the **** out of them for it.
Stoops (who I don't necessarily dislike) runs one of these. Kentucky is 22nd rush yards per game but only 97 in pass attempts. That would not exactly be well received here.

Nobody we can bring in will be perfect, but some stuff should just be common sense.

Sounds logical... finally someone posts something other than he makes me feel funny inside.

I want someone who has a track record with discipline. Half of that is fundamentals, half is not killing yourself during games and the other half is playing with heart over emotion. Thats my main worry with Mario. The Stanford game scared me and Oregon is highly penalized team as well. I would not be mad with a Mario hire but he would not be my first choice.

My thought is I am not as worried about recruiting anymore... Golden, Shannon, Richt and Manny all pulled in about the same rated recruits. I am convinced that having that Miami logo on a somewhat capable recruiter 's shirt is going to fill the spots with a top 15 rated talented team. If we can just teach these kids how to play fundamental and disciplined football we should be consistently ranked every year. We would stop losing to inferior teams. Once we do that the recruiting will take off. Its the bad loses every year that hurt our recruiting more than anything else and no recruiter can consistently recruit around bad losses. Consistent winning is the only way we move from a top 15 talent team to a top 5 talent team.

I want someone who has a track record of taking prima donna kids and turns them into students of the game, guys who would die on the field for the coach and someone whose teams don't F themselves on a regular basis. I would gladly take a coach who values character and football knowledge over stars.

My gut says it will be Mario or Schiano... I am intrigued by Chadwell because he is inventive, stresses technique and develops systems to work with what he has got. His teams are also highly disciplined. Really looking forward to the App State game to see how he fairs against them. I would make sure Clawson and Fleck get interviews. I have concerns with Fickle because his teams lack discipline. My first choice is now Pederson.

They have no idea beyond some vagaries about Miami being an urban evironment.
Also they are trying to “fit” a coach to a program that doesn’t exist and never will again

We love to harken back to the old days but we would literally be kicked out of the NCAA and all our defensive players would get targeting penalties every week

Advertisement
No.

We don’t need to be elevating any more lower tier guys.

We don’t need another cheap hire who”does more with less.”

What we need is a PROFESSIONAL who has either coached in the league or sent multiple players to the league from a major university.

What we need is a pro, who has proven himself able to run a big time program, who has contacts and knows coaches and can assemble an elite staff around him.

Problem with hiring a coach from a lower school is you get lower assistants with him. Those people don’t know anyone else. You get a Scott Frost in Nebraska situation, or an Al Golden bringing DOnofrio.

No thanks. Give me a coach who has been there before.

Is it really as simple as that?

Sounds logical... finally someone posts something other than he makes me feel funny inside.

I want someone who has a track record with discipline. Half of that is fundamentals, half is not killing yourself during games and the other half is playing with heart over emotion. Thats my main worry with Mario. The Stanford game scared me and Oregon is highly penalized team as well. I would not be mad with a Mario hire but he would not be my first choice.

My thought is I am not as worried about recruiting anymore... Golden, Shannon, Richt and Manny all pulled in about the same rated recruits. I am convinced that having that Miami logo on a somewhat capable recruiter 's shirt is going to fill the spots with a top 15 rated talented team. If we can just teach these kids how to play fundamental and disciplined football we should be consistently ranked every year. We would stop losing to inferior teams. Once we do that the recruiting will take off. Its the bad loses every year that hurt our recruiting more than anything else and no recruiter can consistently recruit around bad losses. Consistent winning is the only way we move from a top 15 talent team to a top 5 talent team.

I want someone who has a track record of taking prima donna kids and turns them into students of the game, guys who would die on the field for the coach and someone whose teams don't F themselves on a regular basis. I would gladly take a coach who values character and football knowledge over stars.

My gut says it will be Mario or Schiano... I am intrigued by Chadwell because he is inventive, stresses technique and develops systems to work with what he has got. His teams are also highly disciplined. Really looking forward to the App State game to see how he fairs against them. I would make sure Clawson and Fleck get interviews. I have concerns with Fickle because his teams lack discipline. My first choice is now Pederson.
Yes it’s that simple if you don’t give af about recruiting like your post says.

Mario is a great recruiter, that oregon d is soft though.

Also why are people posting about mario? There’s no way miami will wait till 2022 when his buyout is less to hire him. With early signing day we need a hire as soon as regular season ends and miami isn’t going to pay a almost 10 million buyout.

posting about mario is as dumb as the people 10 years ago saying we are getting gruden

You’re not wrong at all. I go to a lot of wake games because my brother graduated from there and has season tickets. They would have beat us last year if that didn’t get cancelled.

He’s got my main trait of a HC.. hiring good coordinators. He had Mike Elko before Notre Dame stole him. Ruggiero is great. His current DC is gonna be a household name before too long. Won tons of awards in FCS before Clawson hired him.
And his players are all smart. That can not be undervalued.

Chadwell was my brother’s college roommate their first 2 years at ETSU before my brother transferred to Wake Forest. He used to stop by the house when I was younger and he was coaching at ETSU. Great guy but he reminds me of Mike Gundy (not just the mullet) or Satterfield. Country guy and old school personality. A lot of people probably say he wouldn’t fit.. I can’t make up my mind on that. You would have said the same about Jimmy, Butch, and Dennis.. Chadwell definitely doesn’t have the charisma Jimmy had though.

Good coach. Good X&O guy and I like his scheme. I’d be concerned about his lack of connections for staff at this level. He’d likely lose his DC because he’d probably get the HC job at Coastal.
you are right. what are his connects to get the right coaches? also, he'd probably fit better at a Tennessee.

Advertisement
Back