Dan Enos by the Numbers

Advertisement
Sorta disagree...as demonstrated by the stats that I put up, teams that convert on 3rd down a lot, for the most part, rank anywhere from the bottom half, to dead last in 3rd down attempts per game. So given that, I'll go out on a limb and say those teams are the leaders in average yds. per 1st down, even though nobody charts that stat.

Right, that's because they are efficient on every down.
The point is that efficiency has a high correlation to offensive success. All these other things people are pointing to: 3rd down conversion rate, lack of even getting to third down, etc., are all signifiers of the exact same thing...down to down efficiency. And down to down is Connelly's number 1 correlation factor to offensive success.

I took the time to watch a bunch of Arkansas 2015 and 2016 highlights. Me Personally I don’t know how much he had to do with bama in 2018 so I avoided that.

There’s a YouTube vid of the game against auburn in 2015. It’s a good watch. Allen is nothing special physically but Enos mixed it up pretty well. Their oline is better than ours and Alex Collins was good as well their tight end duo being pretty special. But I think our skill players and tight ends as a whole can make up for the deficiencies our line creates compared to them. Enos has some creative stuff going on. I was impressed tbh. 85% under center tho so take that as you will. Lots of two tight end and full back looks. Motioning both tight ends a lot.

Now when 2016 came it was a tad different. Austin was not as good and Collins was gone. The offense was noticeably worse but still good. Still creative ways to get the tight ends the ball and some creative screens and sweeps.

All in all it’ll be much better than Richt. I hope Enos employs his strategies used in 2015 with a more modern flare like using the shotgun more in addition to things he may have picked up at bama in 2018. Our tight ends will allow him some serious flexibility

“Always very solid” is about where every team in the Big Ten West is.
None of those teams, outside of Nebraska when it could recruit nationally, have played for the NC in my lifetime, and really haven’t been close.
It’s by far the least athletic and fast division in all of college football. That’s beyond debate. Over the last few seasons they have improved their coaching, so that might help mitigate that some.
But in terms of a division, it really comes down to what you would rather play: unathletic teams that receive solid coaching, or Tier II southern talent that maybe receives subpar coaching? I’d rather play the former than the latter on a weekly basis because I think talent wins out usually.

Ya every team is always very solid. The coastal is always far from very solid. Our best team got smoked by their best team.

How many coastal teams have played in the NC in your lifetime? one?

Anyway you want to spin it. The B1G west is better than the coastal from top to bottom.

Advertisement
If Enos never had Bama on his resume... people would be rioting at the Hecht.

His track record shows absolutely zilch.

And it’s foolish for people to compare this to the Manny DC hire. Manny had some bright spots and some ugly spots. He also had a bigger resume and sample. he also had numbers that people could live with. We knew from day 1 that we don’t have a very sound defense that lacks gap integrity. At the same time we knew that we’d have 4-3 that gets up field and causes havoc.

It’s gonna take 3 years for Enos to really show what he’s made of. It took Manny 3.

Advertisement
Ya every team is always very solid. The coastal is always far from very solid. Our best team got smoked by their best team.

How many coastal teams have played in the NC in your lifetime? one?

Anyway you want to spin it. The B1G west is better than the coastal from top to bottom.

GT, Miami, and VT have all played for a NC in my lifetime. Two have won it.

Miami 27 18 12
VT. 55. 21. 22
UVA. 42. 69. 83
GT. 74. 39 48
UNC 88. 55 17
Pitt 61. 47 23
Duke 51. 46. 80

2018: 56.85. 2017: 42.14. 2016: 40.14

Purdue 44. 48 105
NW. 68. 27. 61
Wisky 19. 4. 16
Nebraska 49. 62. 38
Iowa 23. 35. 37
Minnesota 45. 72. 24
Ill 97 96 94

2018: 49.28. 2017: 49.14. 2016: 53.57

The Coastal is a better division. Here are the last three seasons. With the S&P+ ranking for each team, and the average ranking of the teams for each division. The Coastal has been better in 2 of the last 3 seasons. And if you look at the NFL draft, it's not even close in terms of talent in the division.

Enos walked into more talent at Miami than he’s ever had anywhere as an OC or HC. The closest comparative roster was Arkansas in his first season and that was a top 5 offense in cfb. Even then he didnt have the skill position talent at WR that he has now. Alex Collins isn’t too far superior of Deejay or Harris if he’s at all superior to them. Had 2 good NFL TEs... and look what he has now.

The OL play will make him or break him as it does every offense. His Arkansas OL was full of 320+ guys but wasn’t absolutely dominant. They just did enough and were lead by Denver Kirkland anchoring the left side. Not too far fetched for us to have that caliber of play on the OL.

GT, Miami, and VT have all played for a NC in my lifetime. Two have won it.

Miami 27 18 12
VT. 55. 21. 22
UVA. 42. 69. 83
GT. 74. 39 48
UNC 88. 55 17
Pitt 61. 47 23
Duke 51. 46. 80

2018: 56.85. 2017: 42.14. 2016: 40.14

Purdue 44. 48 105
NW. 68. 27. 61
Wisky 19. 4. 16
Nebraska 49. 62. 38
Iowa 23. 35. 37
Minnesota 45. 72. 24
Ill 97 96 94

2018: 49.28. 2017: 49.14. 2016: 53.57

The Coastal is a better division. Here are the last three seasons. With the S&P+ ranking for each team, and the average ranking of the teams for each division. The Coastal has been better in 2 of the last 3 seasons. And if you look at the NFL draft, it's not even close in terms of talent in the division.

You are older than I thought. Regardless, being good 20-30 years ago means nothing when comparing the coastal to the B1G west in the current day.

The S and P means nothing for this discussion. My point is that the best BigW team will beat the best Coastal and that is the case all the way down to the worst Coastal and BigW teams. Who cares about NFL draft. Only thing that matters is who would in an a CFB game.

For arguments sake. Lets say the BigW is not as good as the coastal. That still means the coastal is the second word division meaning it is still trash.

Advertisement
Looking at those numbers is a pointless exercise. There are so many variables that can affect the statistics. You also have to factor in the Jimmies and Joe's. If you don't have them at QB or WR or your O-line, your going to have a tough time no matter what you do.

Put another way. You should not be judged on what you do. You should be judged on what you do with what you have.
You really don't have to factor in the jimmies and the joes. Yes, they help, but good coaches coach up their talent to the point that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

"But he was at Central Michigan." There have been numerous teams who punched above their weight class offensively. Chip Kelly's Oregon comes to mind, Art Briles Baylor teams, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Dino Babers at Syracuse.

Good coaches don't NFL talent all over their two-deep to have an above average offense. That's my main complaint about Enos. He's had way more average at best offenses than good offenses. And the only time he had a good offense was when he had NFL players all over the depth chart.

Sorta disagree...as demonstrated by the stats that I put up, teams that convert on 3rd down a lot, for the most part, rank anywhere from the bottom half, to dead last in 3rd down attempts per game. So given that, I'll go out on a limb and say those teams are the leaders in average yds. per 1st down, even though nobody charts that stat.
Not a big fan of using stats to draw broad conclusions about a football team. There’s too many variables and factors in each stat.

You are older than I thought. Regardless, being good 20-30 years ago means nothing when comparing the coastal to the B1G west in the current day.

The S and P means nothing for this discussion. My point is that the best BigW team will beat the best Coastal and that is the case all the way down to the worst Coastal and BigW teams. Who cares about NFL draft. Only thing that matters is who would in an a CFB game.

For arguments sake. Lets say the BigW is not as good as the coastal. That still means the coastal is the second word division meaning it is still trash.

Of course it means something.
The Coastal has a better talent base. Since 1990 (I’d guess most posters on this board were at least born in 1990), that talent base has allowed 3 teams that make up the division to challenge/win a NC. That will never happen with the Big Ten West.

And you said by any measure the West is better. Well, now apparently one of, if not the most respected, analytic model disagrees. You’re now moving the goal posts and saying, “well, of course I didn’t mean objective measures. Those don’t count.”

And the NFL draft argument is relevant in that it only proves the point I was making. The Coastal Division is far more talented. This allows it to produce better teams most years; as the numbers above show. The NFL draft just further cements that point.
The only thing the Big Ten West has done better of late is hire coaches, and you saw the fruits of that pay off last year. We’ll see how much that coaching advantage lasts with the latest Coastal hires.

Advertisement
Manny does not seem to care about the numbers being emphasized in this thread, and that is fine by me quite frankly.

What Diaz has emphasized and mentioned is what we all should focus upon.

He likes Enos because he sees him as an aggressive coach, capable of using the whole field to put stress on various defenses. He also likes the way Enos makes the opposing defenses have to chose what to defend. A pick your poison type of scenario where the offense can take advantage once the Defense chooses what to stop.

An aggressive offense and defense should hopefully help us get back to being elite sooner rather than later.
This, and on top of that, good coaches evolve throughout their careers and build on their systems as they learn. Let’s hope Enos has taken in everything he could from his stop at Bama, he has championship caliber qb play and has seen what great coaches do and how they prepare.

Of course it means something.
The Coastal has a better talent base. Since 1990 (I’d guess most posters on this board were at least born in 1990), that talent base has allowed 3 teams that make up the division to challenge/win a NC. That will never happen with the Big Ten West.

And you said by any measure the West is better. Well, now apparently one of, if not the most respected, analytic model disagrees. You’re now moving the goal posts and saying, “well, of course I didn’t mean objective measures. Those don’t count.”

And the NFL draft argument is relevant in that it only proves the point I was making. The Coastal Division is far more talented. This allows it to produce better teams most years; as the numbers above show. The NFL draft just further cements that point.
The only thing the Big Ten West has done better of late is hire coaches, and you saw the fruits of that pay off last year. We’ll see how much that coaching advantage lasts with the latest Coastal hires.

I am not moving any goal post. If you want to say the Coastal was better 30 years ago. Then sure I will give you that, but we are talking about currently. The coastal will never send 3 guys to the NC ever again either. Miami is the ONLY team that could do it and Wisconsin came closer than us in recent years.

IDC who has more NFL picks. I care about which teams conference has better teams. That is all this discussion was about. You can try and switch it to who has more draft picks. Who was better in the 1950s. Whatever BS point you want to try and spin is fine. However, the bottom line is currently the Big West is better than the coastal.

Do you think the Playoff committee says "well you know the coastal is trash, but they send a lot of guys to the NFL so we will give them the 4th playoff spot" or "well the coastal sucks, but GT was great when John Heisman coached there 100 years ago so lets put a coastal team in the playoffs"? Of course not. They care about the current teams.

Maybe the recent coastal hires will push us above the west, but they may not. We wont know until it actually happens, but right now the Coastal is worse.

You really don't have to factor in the jimmies and the joes. Yes, they help, but good coaches coach up their talent to the point that the whole is greater than the sum of the parts.

"But he was at Central Michigan." There have been numerous teams who punched above their weight class offensively. Chip Kelly's Oregon comes to mind, Art Briles Baylor teams, Texas Tech, West Virginia, Dino Babers at Syracuse.

Good coaches don't NFL talent all over their two-deep to have an above average offense. That's my main complaint about Enos. He's had way more average at best offenses than good offenses. And the only time he had a good offense was when he had NFL p'layers all over the depth chart.
Your complaining about the man and we haven't even seen the product on the field. He was so mediocre that Nick Saban hired him. Also, statistically, you could say the same thing about Manny prior to Miami. After all, he did get fired from Texas in 2013 where his defense was the worst in school history in 2012.
So, let's not pass judgment until we see what Enos does with our guys.

Advertisement
Back