Dan Enos by the Numbers

Tee3000

Live Life
Dan Enos offensive rankings

Central Michigan

2010: Total Offense = 50, Scoring = 82, Rushing = 108, Passing = 17, 33 sacks given up (ranked 97), 3rd down conv =37% (ranked 81)
2011: Total Offense = 57, Scoring = 92, Rushing = 98, Passing = 25, 17 sacks given up (ranked 37), 3rd down conv =35% (ranked 104)
2012: Total Offense = 63, Scoring = 63, Rushing = 72, Passing = 51, 15 sacks given up (ranked 17), 3rd down conv =39% (ranked 72)
2013: Total Offense = 108, Scoring = 95, Rushing = 99, Passing = 84, 31 sacks given up (ranked 99), 3rd down conv =30% (ranked 114)
2014: Total Offense = 67, Scoring = 79, Rushing = 74, Passing = 52, 28 sacks given up (ranked 70), 3rd down conv =43% (ranked 35)

Arkansas
2015: Total Offense = 29, Scoring = 27, Rushing = 34, Passing = 32, 14 sacks given up (ranked 9th), 3rd down conv =46% (ranked 15)
2016: Total Offense = 54, Scoring = 57, Rushing = 78, Passing = 32, 35 sacks given up (ranked 103), 3rd down conv =39% (ranked 70)
2017: Total Offense = 94, Scoring = 62, Rushing = 61, Passing = 83, 35 sacks given up (ranked 113 ), 3rd down conv =41% (ranked 45)

Averages
Total Offense = 65th, Scoring = 69th, Rushing = 78th, Passing = 47th, 26 sacks given up (68th), 3rd down conv =38% (67th)

Advertisement
Definitely not the best as far as stats go, rather average at best. Let’s hope because he’s learned from Alabama how to best utilize true speed at all of the key skill positions, that he can translate it to the field for the Canes. Enos has plenty to prove this go around so I’m rooting him on if nothing to succeed and bring our offense out of the Stone Age.

Advertisement

Central Michigan

2010: Total Offense = 50, Scoring = 82, Rushing = 108, Passing = 17, 33 sacks given up (ranked 97), 3rd down conv =37% (ranked 81)
2011: Total Offense = 57, Scoring = 92, Rushing = 98, Passing = 25, 17 sacks given up (ranked 37), 3rd down conv =35% (ranked 104)
2012: Total Offense = 63, Scoring = 63, Rushing = 72, Passing = 51, 15 sacks given up (ranked 17), 3rd down conv =39% (ranked 72)
2013: Total Offense = 108, Scoring = 95, Rushing = 99, Passing = 84, 31 sacks given up (ranked 99), 3rd down conv =30% (ranked 114)
2014: Total Offense = 67, Scoring = 79, Rushing = 74, Passing = 52, 28 sacks given up (ranked 70), 3rd down conv =43% (ranked 35)

Arkansas
2015: Total Offense = 29, Scoring = 27, Rushing = 34, Passing = 32, 14 sacks given up (ranked 9th), 3rd down conv =46% (ranked 15)
2016: Total Offense = 54, Scoring = 57, Rushing = 78, Passing = 32, 35 sacks given up (ranked 103), 3rd down conv =39% (ranked 70)
2017: Total Offense = 94, Scoring = 62, Rushing = 61, Passing = 83, 35 sacks given up (ranked 113 ), 3rd down conv =41% (ranked 45)

Averages
Total Offense = 65th, Scoring = 69th, Rushing = 78th, Passing = 47th, 26 sacks given up (68th), 3rd down conv =38% (67th)
Slow down there. You're being realistic and that's not appreciated by Canes fans. Everyone will be just dying to come play for the offensive mastermind Dan Enos remember? Look he may do great things who knows, and OF COURSE it's going to be better than what we just had, but the neverending blowing of Enos these past few months on 247 in particular is just completely unwarranted. Spending 1 year under the devil in Tuscaloosa as a QB coach not even an OC doesn't erase a very average career up to that point.

He’s apparently highly thought of by other coaches. He’s respected and desired by staffs like Alabama and obviously he’s Diaz’s guy.

Some of those stats aren’t exactly advanced metrics, but he’s never actually led a dominant offense (You could argue 2015 was elite based on more advanced stats)

So there’s a paradox there we have to wait on.

Advertisement
Kosi/Jarren = Bobby Petrino at WKU and Ark.
Tate = Bobby Petrino at Louisville with LJ8.

Thats what our offense will look like. A lot of the same plays ran out of a **** load of formations with a ton of pre snap motion.

Edit: I wouldn't look too close into those numbers. None of those teams had near as much talent as Miami does.

He's coaching much better talent here than he was at Central Michigan or Arkansas. And even if those numbers don't look too good, they're still better than what we had under Richt.

Lets not act like CMU is playing this murders rows defense up there in whatever crappy division they play in. I will acknowledge he seem to do a little better at Arkansas. Seems like when they rushing is going good, the passing sucks and vice versa. At face value, those numbers are cause for pause

With speed and talent at running back, Wide receivers and TEs. If he can get the Oline to protect the QB we will be fine, if not better than expected.

Enos will make our QBs better. He will use our TEs and will use motion. These are all things that we lacked under Richt. Enos will do well here. Wouldnt surprise me if he gets another HC gig 2-3 years. Only concern is OL.

Advertisement
With speed and talent at running back, Wide receivers and TEs. If he can get the Oline to protect the QB we will be fine, if not better than expected.

Was just about to say this. Numbers are going to be pointless if this can't get improved.

Enos offense at Arkansas was **** good in 2015/2016 especially 2015 when you consider the division and types of defenses they played against. I think the offense will be a mix or what he did at Arkansas and some od the bama 2018 concepts and stuff will be incorporated too.

Kosi/Jarren = Bobby Petrino at WKU and Ark.
Tate = Bobby Petrino at Louisville with LJ8.

Thats what our offense will look like. A lot of the same plays ran out of a **** load of formations with a ton of pre snap motion.

Edit: I wouldn't look too close into those numbers. None of those teams had near as much talent as Miami does.
I think They matter to a certain extent but it’s not the end all be all. Completely different situations and as you said none of those teams had anyone as talented in the skill positions as Miami has right now outside of Alex collins and hunter Henry probably.

Advertisement
He's coaching much better talent here than he was at Central Michigan or Arkansas. And even if those numbers don't look too good, they're still better than what we had under Richt.

He also had to compete in the SEC West. Much easier task in the Coastal.

Lance Roffers’ Analysis

Above is a link to a much more detailed and applicable assessment (and great subsequent discussion) than any presentation of raw counting stats that trend close to meaningless

Edit: Below is the Conclusion from the assessment. I highly recommend reading the entire analysis (and the subsequent discussion). Great work by @Lance Roffers and great questions and critiques posed by CIS posters that led to more quality discussion of the methodologies of the analysis and findings.

Overall
The truth of the matter is that no matter how interested in football you are, you can’t really know every coach and what they’re all about. Coach Enos coached at my alma mater while I was there and in the sports program. Yet, my recollection of him was pretty meh. That was heavily influenced by the fact that Missouri State did what they do best; lose a lot of football games. Then you think of the Arkansas offense’s under Bielema and you think of a boring, three yards and a cloud of dust philosophy.

For these reasons I went into this study thinking I was going to come out pretty down on the hire. A nomadic coach who seemed to move from place-to-place quite often, he is not a candidate I would initially have on my list in my mental rolodex. Also, admittedly, I put a lot of time into Major Applewhite and was pretty happy with his offense, so I wanted that hire to come to fruition.

After spending many hours reviewing everything about Coach Enos and how he develops QB’s and runs an offense I have to say that this hire is going to end up being the right one. Does this hire represent “the cutting edge offense” that Manny Diaz promised? Do you believe the Kansas City Chiefs offense to be cutting edge? Because that is the offense that Enos most resembles in my mind. The Chiefs do not run a wide-open spread offense. They run an offense predicated on motion, play-action, and crossers. Exactly what Enos has his offense predicated on for years. It’s not just the one play above that is reminiscent of the Chiefs offense, but rather in the way they use motion, deep shots, play-action, screens, and an elite TE to create matchups that favor the offense and make it where the defense cannot win.

Positives
  • Consistently develops QB’s at every stop. From Missouri State, to Alabama, every QB that Enos has been around has performed their best under him.
  • Motion. The offense for Enos uses motion to diagnose what the defense is doing pre-snap and puts the defense in a position that they cannot win by having to cover two receivers with one defender on multiple occasions.
  • Play-action. Regardless of your ability to run the ball, play-action works. Having play-action as the foundation for your offense is just smart football and Enos uses it liberally.
  • Head Coaching Experience. Just like Major Applewhite & Larry Fedora, Enos has experience as a Head Coach. Unlike the other two, he is also bringing experience working under a legendary coach and program-builder in Nick Saban. As Manny Diaz works to establish his own program at Miami, he can bounce ideas off of Enos and compare and contrast.
  • No Prior Link to Coach Diaz. Coach Enos has never worked previously with Manny Diaz. To me, this is a major plus, as I hoped we would avoid a coaching staff of “Facebook friends” for Coach Diaz. Building an offensive staff with outside ideas and perceptions is key to having a healthy and challenging culture.
  • Passing Game. Coach Enos is a passing game savant and there is no doubt about it. At every stop that he has called plays he has developed a great passing offense. At every stop that he has been a QB coach he has developed a great passing QB. It is clear to me that he understands how to teach the passing game and how to call passing concepts. In an increasingly pass-happy game- reliant on the QB position- his mix of experience and success in this area is top-notch.
  • Middle-of-the-Field. Statistically speaking, the MOF is the most efficient area for an offense to attack. Too often last year the MOF was not even a consideration for the offense, preferring to rely on out-breaking routes. Coach Enos utilizes this area of the field very well.
  • Counters. A play-caller needs to have a rhythm and an understanding of when to call certain plays. Coach Enos has a great feel for when to call certain plays and has a counter for every formation to combat a defense getting too aggressive through film study. There were times in his film that I would mutter to myself, “I hope he…” based on what the defense was doing and almost every time the offense had the perfect counter for what the defense was doing. It was football poetry at times.
  • Game Planning. Coach Enos is excellent at scripting the first few drives of a game on offense and taking advantage of what the defense does poorly. It is really exciting to see a game-plan specific attack each week.
Negatives
  • Running Game. I did not feel as though the run game was especially imaginative on Enos’ film. Too often the run game was ordinary, or relied on broken tackles to be successful. There were some big plays that helped to prop up the stats, but for the most part his run games have been ordinary. Though he does run an effective rushing offense in the red zone (where running the ball is most effective from an efficiency standpoint).
  • Nomadic Presence. While it is admirable that he is willing to leave a stop to work towards his football goals, he also has never stayed in one place for long, even going so far to resign as a head coach to move back to an OC role. Will he be a presence with the program long enough to take roots and really grow the system?
  • Personally, I would prefer more space-and-pace, as I believe that is where the future of offense is headed. There are two ways to hurt a defense pre-snap. 1. With pace-and-space. Get your guys into space and use tempo to press the advantage 2. Formations and motion. Relies on motion to diagnose defense and get players in position to make plays. Utilizing formations to press advantage. Enos definitely falls into category 2, but I would like to see more of category 1 because south Florida players grow up with simple pace-and-space spread offenses.
Data
How does Coach Enos stack up from a data perspective at his stops calling plays (I. E. there will be no Alabama data in these results)? There were several names who grew favor among the Miami fanbase and I will list many of them here for comparison’ sake.

There is no other way to say it other than to say the data suggests that Dan Enos is one of the very best offensive play-callers in all of college football. His schemes put his players in position to make simple reads and plays and be efficient throwing the football with a CAREER 8.10 Yards Per Pass against peer competition. Here is a chart showing some of the publicized candidates in their careers calling plays:
Yds-Pass.PNG

We’ve seen that Enos can call a game that is efficient in the passing game, but how does he stack up in terms of having an explosive offense? Lots of double-TE and double-RB sets would cause the offense to be less explosive, correct? He has averaged .434 Points Per Play against peer competition for his career. He is the only one of the group who has called plays against several years’ worth of SEC competition as well. Yost is slightly ahead at .437, but much of his play-calling was spent in the Big-12, where defense is much more optional.
Pts-Play.PNG

I mentioned that if there was a knock on Enos’ offense, it would be in the running game. Here are the candidates on a Yards Per Rush basis:
Yds- Rush.PNG

Here are the results for each of the candidates in simple numbers format:
Data.PNG

Once you add the fact that Enos has developed multiple QB’s to their best season, it is clear that Enos is the winner amongst these candidates. He has shown the ability to beat you with multiple formations, the ability to call plays, the ability to develop QB’s, learned under the best coach in the business last year, and has head coaching experience of his own.

As I said, I went into this exercise a little down because he is not the wide-open pace-and-space shiny toy that I had envisioned. I had envisioned Enos being a tight-formation, old-school offensive system that wants to control TOP and have three yards and a cloud of dust. Once you start to see the results at every stop he’s called plays, you really see that Enos is a passing game savant and that Coach Diaz just took one of the best OC minds in all of college football and brought him to our program.

This hire is an absolute home run in my review of film and data. Be excited Miami fans. Be excited.

Last edited:

Central Michigan

Arkansas

Averages
Who were his QBs all those years tho guys..plus surrounding personnel..have to take that into account

Advertisement
Back