Damarius Good

Advertisement
Y’all gotta understand that we took a sick DB class last year and have some guys like Bandy and Carter rest to contribute. Yes it’s always good to bring in guys that are ready to play now but we have a little bit of a luxury to allow guys to develop if we like their raw abilities because we have a lot of young DBs that look ready.

It's not like we're only recruiting one CB and relying on him to step in immediately and be THE guy. With the DB class we pulled last year, along with the likely haul this year, taking a flyer on Good is a nice move. We know Rumph can teach, and this kid has outstanding measurables, so the potential for another MJack is there. Worst case with his skill set, he'll be an asset on the return and/or coverage units.

Shields didn’t play CB here until his Senior season. He had zero coaching at CB until that point and wasn’t basically told, “See #84 over there? Go cover him.”

Yea he refused to make the change until his senior year. They tried to switch him going into his sophomore. Sad because with 4.2 speed and standing at 6’1 or 6’2 he had potential to be a 1st rounder with those attributes. To be fair, his only bad game there was against Oklahoma but their receiver was killing everyone for about 4 years. I do remember him making key plays to win a game for us.

Advertisement
This dude’s an incredible athlete, and he’s tough and has heart. I don’t see the downside at all. Either you trust your DB coaches to coach up a guy with plus size, plus toughness, and plus athleticism, or your coaches are trash.

Now if this was for Offense, say OL, I'd be very concerned. DB, I think Rumph and Banda can actually develop kids. Diaz can adjust the D so CBs who like to plan Man can play MAN! Not saying we should play Option football because Lingard played in that O. Just don't think the players are getting the best offense for the group.

Advertisement
This dude’s an incredible athlete, and he’s tough and has heart. I don’t see the downside at all. Either you trust your DB coaches to coach up a guy with plus size, plus toughness, and plus athleticism, or your coaches are trash.

Chise my brother...listen to me please....the kid is the 4th leading rusher on his high school team this year. He is not even the leading rusher in terms of carries by a wide margin(he is 2nd in yards currently and 2nd in TD's)...a sophomore is the current leading rusher and this is after his junior year in which he shared carries with 4 seniors so coming into his senior year...you would expect for him to be the man...he still isn't.

Currently he has 1 tackle in 2 years of high shool varsity football. I just don't see it. We shunned away real good DB's who play the position down in and down out for a kid we are going to have to teach how to back pedal...

I just don't see it....

Chise my brother...listen to me please....the kid is the 4th leading rusher on his high school team this year. He is not even the leading rusher in terms of carries by a wide margin(he is 2nd in yards currently and 2nd in TD's)...a sophomore is the current leading rusher and this is after his junior year in which he shared carries with 4 seniors so coming into his senior year...you would expect for him to be the man...he still isn't.

Currently he has 1 tackle in 2 years of high shool varsity football. I just don't see it. We shunned away real good DB's who play the position down in and down out for a kid we are going to have to teach how to back pedal...

I just don't see it....

What does that have to do with the fact that Good's a really good athlete?

I remember at South Dade that Antrel Rolle and Charlie Jones (both of whom went to UM) were on the same team at the same time (Rolle's senior year). Rolle was regarded as an athlete and barely played CB while in HS (was highly recruited though), but he played just about every other position - QB, WR, etc.. Charlie Jones (as a Freshman) was just the RB, so of course he had more yards than Rolle did in terms of offense.

Good's used in the same capacity where he's used all over the offense, so of course he's not leading the team in carries.

But Good's a really good athlete, not saying he'll be the player that Rolle was, but just proving a point.

Advertisement
What does that have to do with the fact that Good's a really good athlete?

I remember at South Dade that Antrel Rolle and Charlie Jones (both of whom went to UM) were on the same team at the same time (Rolle's senior year). Rolle was regarded as an athlete and barely played CB while in HS (was highly recruited though), but he played just about every other position - QB, WR, etc.. Charlie Jones (as a Sophmore) was just the RB, so of course he had more yards than Rolle did in terms of offense.

Good's used in the same capacity where he's used all over the offense, so of course he's not leading the team in carries.

But Good's a really good athlete, not saying he'll be the player that Rolle was, but just proving a point.

According to this video, you remembered wrong or are just lying for no reason:

Also do you understand what I'm saying here? Let's say that you were truthful that Antrel didn't play CB...he still had over 160 tackles and 6 picks in his last 2 years of high school which means he played the DB position.

How do you think that compares to Good who has 1 tackle and zero picks or PBU's in 2 years nd no film at DB. He may have made that tackle on special teams.

I don't care about being a really good athlete bc it goes without saying at this level, everyone we recruit is an athlete...I need to know can he play the DB position. I don't believe he can.

You didn't prove any point.

Last edited:

Also do you understand what I'm saying here? Let's say that you were truthful that Antrel didn't play CB...he still had over 160 tackles and 6 picks in his last 2 years of high school which means he played the DB position.

How do you think that compares to Good who has 1 tackle and zero picks or PBU's in 2 years nd no film at DB. He may have made that tackle on special teams.

I don't care about being a really good athlete bc it goes without saying at this level, everyone we recruit is an athlete...I need to know can he play the DB position. I don't believe he can.

Yeah. Agreed 100%. Not knocking Good at all because he has a lot of great upside. But comparing him to a db like Rolle out of high school who was a stud at the position already is a bad comparison.

If anything a comparison that makes sense is the guy who was at UF and was a great athlete in high school but only played offense and rarely defense: Loucheiz Purifoy. Guy developed into a very good db in college, but was like Good, a great athlete with toughness but limited defensive work in high school (I think).

And you didn't either. A coach's job is to recruit athletes and coach them up. It goes back to the D'Onofrio recruiting video that's often talked about on here where the staff wanted a guy because he knew how to play safety (but wasn't a good athlete), whereas Hurlie was the only one that said we should focus on recruiting athletes that have potential to play a position and coach them up.

The situation applies here. Rolle played all over the field on both sides of the ball, sometimes he played at corner, sometimes he played safety, etc..

Sam Shields played WR all the way up until his senior year at Miami and then got switched to corner, because he had the ability.

You said I didn't prove a point, but you haven't either. The staff sees potential for him as a corner given that HE'S A GOOD ATHLETE and his likely position going forward in college is indeed at corner. The staff doesn't control what his HS staff currently utilizes him at, nor should that dictate their moves going forward. You act like every kid that played a position in HS plays the exact position in college.

Advertisement
Yeah. Agreed 100%. Not knocking Good at all because he has a lot of great upside. But comparing him to a db like Rolle out of high school who was a stud at the position already is a bad comparison.

If anything a comparison that makes sense is the guy who was at UF and was a great athlete in high school but only played offense and rarely defense: Loucheiz Purifoy. Guy developed into a very good db in college, but was like Good, a great athlete with toughness but limited defensive work in high school (I think).

I made the comparison to Rolle because Rolle played all over the field and focused on Rolle's offensive stats in HS. @Tee3000 decided to emphasize the point about Good not even being the leading rusher on the team, which is the sole reason I brought up the comparison.

I'm with Tee on this one. Seems like a good athlete but we are in no position to be taking developmental projects. Next year we have Bandy, Ivey and Blades who all have experience. After that its thin with Frierson and Bethel. We need CB's who are READY in this 19 class. Brownlee seems like he will be the best bet as Couch still needs to add size.

I'm with Tee on this one. We are in no position to be taking developmental projects either. Next year we have Bandy, Ivey and Blades who all have experience. After that its thin with Frierson and Bethel. We need CB's who are READY in this 19 class. Brownlee seems like he will be the best bet as Couch still needs to add size.

If you're relying on freshman CBs significantly, you're in a bad situation. Good is a reclamation project just like Bethel this year. There's nothing wrong with guys like that. Couch iirc is an EE and can put on weight, Brownlee could be plugged in seldom. We need a JUCO corner if anything.

Getting guys that come in here and immediately play AND be effective is seldom. ****, we all thought Tyson Campbell was going to go into college day 1 and kill it, but even he has struggled (got torched repeatedly in the LSU game).

Yeah I don't know what dude was talking about an it made zero sense to me.

I could be wrong but I thought Purifoy played a ton of defense in high school from what I remember:

This film won't show it all for LP but Good doesn't have 1 snap on defense.

Advertisement
Back