D-Money or any of the other staffers, please tell us what you're hearing regarding Baker

pics or gtfo
My bad, complete tongue in cheek comment because a prediction was made by Ferman. I can assure you with 1,000% certainty I have zero inside info. Although my goalie told me some kid he knows committed to Miami at practice the other day. So if we are after some stud o lineman from the greater Boston area we might be on to something. I find my goalies information highly suspect though...

Advertisement
So they stopped knowing each other between 2014 and 2019? They only knew each other while they worked on the same staffs? No chance they stayed in contact the whole time between 2011 and now and built a really strong friendship?

I don't know was Zoom around then? Maybe their friendship is so close Diaz takes dumps with the bathroom door open when he's at Bakers house. Or maybe Diaz just likes Baker because they share similar defensive philosophy and Diaz saw Baker as an up and coming DC that he might want to hire if he ever got a HC gig.

Even if Diaz sent Baker a postcard every Christmas, it's absurd to then make the inference that Diaz loves Baker so much that he's willing to throw away his coaching career.

All of this "Diaz won't ever fire his best friend' nonsense is because dummies are comparing Diaz's working relationship with his former intern (2 yrs intern, 1 yr of actual coaching overlap) to that of Mark Richt and his son, and to Al Golden and D'Nofrio (who had coached together on the same staff nearly a decade before DNo followed Golden to Miami to continue serving as his DC). One of those things is not like the other.

I don't know was Zoom around then? Maybe their friendship is so close Diaz takes dumps with the bathroom door open when he's at Bakers house. Or maybe Diaz just likes Baker because they share similar defensive philosophy and Diaz saw Baker as an up and coming DC that he might want to hire if he ever got a HC gig.

Even if Diaz sent Baker a postcard every Christmas, it's absurd to then make the inference that Diaz loves Baker so much that he's willing to throw away his coaching career.

All of this "Diaz won't ever fire his best friend' nonsense is because dummies are comparing Diaz's working relationship with his former intern (2 yrs intern, 1 yr of actual coaching overlap) to that of Mark Richt and his son, and to Al Golden and D'Nofrio (who had coached together on the same staff nearly a decade before DNo followed Golden to Miami to continue serving as his DC). One of those things is not like the other.
If Diaz doesn’t terminate Baker then those “dummy’s” were probably right because there is absolutely no logical reason to retain his protege after last year’s and this season’s performance. Diaz literally stepped in to save Baker every season. Why retain someone like that? I think it’s understandable to speculate his relationship with Baker interfere’s with Diaz’s decision to move forward with him or not. Demoting him to co DC would solidify that theory.

So they stopped knowing each other between 2014 and 2019? They only knew each other while they worked on the same staffs? No chance they stayed in contact the whole time between 2011 and now and built a really strong friendship?

I love ya man, but you're pushing it here. Miami has a fantastic alum base of coaches from the 1980s through the 2000s, and I guarantee you that they are not all close friends with "really strong friendships".

Coaches go their separate ways. They have busy jobs, they don't spend a ton of time on maintaining past business relationships and turning them into really strong friendships.

Setting all that aside, the important issue is that when guys work together, successfully, it's called "coaching tree". Sure, we can criticize Golden for not firing D'Onofrio, but at the time of the hiring, both guys were qualified and had succeeded at prior jobs together.

When a former co-worker or shared-coach-tree candidate is hired, and succeeds, everyone praises the Head Coach for having connections and hiring good people. When it goes poorly, suddenly it's "nepotism".

Advertisement
Do you have a comedy writer now? I’ve laughed more at your posts the last couple months than I can remember.

Thank you, sir. I'm trying to get back to having more fun here. Back in the old days of Grassy/CaneSport, there were plenty of rival fans to mock (not sure if anyone remembers the days of "runole" or "Smooth as butter").

Here and now, it's mostly Miami fans (or close facsimiles), so sometimes the arguments become counter-productive.

There are some truly great UM fans on this board. Let's make some jokes and have some fun while we wait for things to turn around.

Well until he fired him the comparisons are valid only bc he will be fired next year if he retains him and the defense is trash again

I love ya man, but you're pushing it here. Miami has a fantastic alum base of coaches from the 1980s through the 2000s, and I guarantee you that they are not all close friends with "really strong friendships".

Coaches go their separate ways. They have busy jobs, they don't spend a ton of time on maintaining past business relationships and turning them into really strong friendships.

Setting all that aside, the important issue is that when guys work together, successfully, it's called "coaching tree". Sure, we can criticize Golden for not firing D'Onofrio, but at the time of the hiring, both guys were qualified and had succeeded at prior jobs together.

When a former co-worker or shared-coach-tree candidate is hired, and succeeds, everyone praises the Head Coach for having connections and hiring good people. When it goes poorly, suddenly it's "nepotism".
What does UM's alum base of coaches have to do with Manure and Baker? How do you know they didn't continue their friendship? I remember reading where Baker said he used to call Manure for advice when he was the DC at La Tech.

And I never mentioned a **** thing about nepotism. Nepotism has nothing to do with any of this. We'll see how committed Manure is to trying to win here versus trying to ramrod his D and his son Baker into a situation that isn't working.

What does UM's alum base of coaches have to do with Manure and Baker? How do you know they didn't continue their friendship? I remember reading where Baker said he used to call Manure for advice when he was the DC at La Tech.

And I never mentioned a **** thing about nepotism. Nepotism has nothing to do with any of this. We'll see how committed Manure is to trying to win here versus trying to ramrod his D and his son Baker into a situation that isn't working.

I didn't say that you made the nepotism comment, only that it is bandied about by people who don't know what it means (but they know it sounds bad).

As for Manny and Blake, again, there are many who have projected their couple of years of co-working into some sort of powerful and unbreakable bond, such as the ones shared by longtime teammates, friends, and co-workers (Golden-D'Onofrio) or family members (Richt-Richt).

Advertisement
I’ve seen the “ nepotism “ word used more in the last 2-3 days than I have in the last 40-50 years of my life....HTF did everything become about “ nepotism “ all of a sudden?

I didn't say that you made the nepotism comment, only that it is bandied about by people who don't know what it means (but they know it sounds bad).

As for Manny and Blake, again, there are many who have projected their couple of years of co-working into some sort of powerful and unbreakable bond, such as the ones shared by longtime teammates, friends, and co-workers (Golden-D'Onofrio) or family members (Richt-Richt).
You have no idea if they're close or not, but the facts certainly seem to indicate that they are given Manure hiring him at two spots. And if they weren't all that close, then Baker would be gone already because he's been an abysmal failure. You don't give up 800 yards and 65 points and keep your job.

Like I said, we'll see. Maybe Manure will try to do the right thing for the program.

I’ve seen the “ nepotism “ word used more in the last 2-3 days than I have in the last 40-50 years of my life....HTF did everything become about “ nepotism “ all of a sudden?

Blame ole Bobby Bowden! He was the master at it.
Richt was his disciple and tried the same cr@p..

Advertisement
Thank you, sir. I'm trying to get back to having more fun here. Back in the old days of Grassy/CaneSport, there were plenty of rival fans to mock (not sure if anyone remembers the days of "runole" or "Smooth as butter").

Here and now, it's mostly Miami fans (or close facsimiles), so sometimes the arguments become counter-productive.

There are some truly great UM fans on this board. Let's make some jokes and have some fun while we wait for things to turn around.
Must gone be a lot of jokes and fun then.....

This is a Forest for the trees/echo chamber situation. It's the same principal why media elites on the coasts don't really get fly over country folks. You sit in a focus group (or coache's room) and you convince yourselves to not believe your lyin' eyes.

"What do those stupid fans and alums who pay for everything know???? We're the professionals! If this player just would've cut right instead of left....yeah, yeah, I was thinkin' the same thing!! You're exactly right!!! Look, fellas, we know what's wrong. We're professionals, that's why James hired us. If an AD at a major university believes in us and isn't givin' us any heat, then....I mean, we went 8-3, afterall!! That's better than..."

I know this has been said ad nauseum, but this is why you need a real AD who actually understands major CFB and cares about winning. James doesn't have a singular clue. Manny thinks he's the smartest guy in the room and they did dominate Duke, afterall!!!

Un-F'ing real that we have to take this on the chin again.... BTW, I will be happy to eat crow if Manny does the right thing and brings in a real DC, but all of the smoke, not just Ferman, is pointing toward the scenario I wrote earlier in this post. And, because of my lifelong obsession with the Canes, I will stupidly watch the games, just like I did in the last seasons of Coker/Shannon/Golden/Richt and now Diaz.

I actually thought Diaz might be circumspect enough to see what needs fixing and keep fixing things, even if he waits till the offseason to do it. Uggh... Thank God scotch is low calorie...

Blame ole Bobby Bowden! He was the master at it.
Richt was his disciple and tried the same cr@p..
That really doesn’t explain why it has popped up so much in the last couple days.
I understand what it means but it’s just a word you don’t see much then all of a sudden it’s in every other post..🤣

Advertisement
You have no idea if they're close or not, but the facts certainly seem to indicate that they are given Manure hiring him at two spots. And if they weren't all that close, then Baker would be gone already because he's been an abysmal failure. You don't give up 800 yards and 65 points and keep your job.

Like I said, we'll see. Maybe Manure will try to do the right thing for the program.

Agreed.

What Manny does with Baker will pretty much define things going forward.

Advertisement
Back