D-Money or any of the other staffers, please tell us what you're hearing regarding Baker

This is the typical nonsense.

Certain porsters get to say "Diaz and Baker have a super-close relationship that will never allow Diaz to fire Baker". Certain porsters can say this with no evidence, and then they expect others to disprove that statement?

Insanity.
Because it's a convenient narrative and rallying cry that the mouth breathers like to use because it's far easier for a simpleton to compare a situation like this to a previous, failed regime as opposed to something independent of itself.

Advertisement
Ferman said that Jess Simpson has expressed interest in returning to UM if Stroud goes upstairs - fwiw
Would be one of the top hires we could make. But I’ve mentioned before he wasn’t a huge fan of being the outsider of Manny’s crew. I wouldn’t consider it likely based on what I know.

Then again he’s gonna be out of a job and when you’re his age in the profession and trying to advance you don’t take years off..

Would be one of the top hires we could make. But I’ve mentioned before he wasn’t a huge fan of being the outsider of Manny’s crew. I wouldn’t consider it likely based on what I know.

Then again he’s gonna be out of a job and when you’re his age in the profession and trying to advance you don’t take years off..
This has to be an appealing job for a Dline coach right?

LT is here on top of a lot of nice depth all across the board to develop plus being able to sell Greg and Phillips success as 1st rounders on the recruiting trail

if that is the case it seems "Manny's crew" has been pretty much dissolved. So whatever dynamic there was when Simpson was here probably will change. Hopefully, there is no "bad blood" between him and Manny.

Baker has been here for 2 years and we've seen a pretty significant regression on defense and his LB core was the worst performing unit on the team this year. He doesn't add any real value as a recruiter either. So, can someone make a legitimate argument as to why he should stay?

I have heard he makes a better Long Island iced tea than Banda. Career choices be damned.

Advertisement
Is there not more evidence that Diaz and Baker have established a strong relationship? I was being sarcastic with “quite friendly.” It would be bizarre to think Diaz is not allowing his relationship with Baker to influence his decision whether or not to let him go. In addition, Baker just had a kid, last year. You really think Diaz doesn’t care? Get real.

You just brought up Baker having a kid to make a point.

I don’t even know what to say to that, not even sure where to begin.

This is bizarro land.

You just brought up Baker having a kid to make a point.

I don’t even know what to say to that, not even sure where to begin.

This is bizarro land.
With his salary the last 2 years at the U and throughout his coaching career, I doubt seriously he’s hurting financially to the point getting **** canned now would be detrimental to his family financially.

if that is the case it seems "Manny's crew" has been pretty much dissolved. So whatever dynamic there was when Simpson was here probably will change. Hopefully, there is no "bad blood" between him and Manny.
I don’t think there was bad blood. It was just a guy that is used to running the show as a long time HC being the low man on the totem poll in a room of some sub-35 year olds in their first positional coaching job... and they all have the same outlook to each other except for him.

Rumph has had the same experience as odd man out I’m sure. But he’s just happy to be involved at all at this point

Advertisement
I don’t think there was bad blood. It was just a guy that is used to running the show as a long time HC being the low man on the totem poll in a room of some sub-35 year olds in their first positional coaching job... and they all have the same outlook to each other except for him.

Rumph has had the same experience as odd man out I’m sure. But he’s just happy to be involved at all at this point

Hmmm. Interesting comment on Rumph. You giving him a pass due to this situation?

It sure is quiet.
Nothing else is going to happen until USU officially announces Banda and the assistants going with him imo... which was supposed to be tomorrow.

I think Rumph let go or Stroud’s retirement would be next in line.

Manny is keeping things close to the vest because nobody I’ve talked to knows what’s going on or they’re really not talking about it. Anything I heard on Banda and the guys leaving came from USU side. Haven’t heard anything new on Rumph, Stroud, or Baker since before Christmas.

Heard about Chris Wilson being contacted from a friend that I’ve mentioned before that works for a search firm (actually an agency group but he does work for them similar to a search firm).. and even then he didn’t hear from Miami’s side.

Hmmm. Interesting comment on Rumph. You giving him a pass due to this situation?
Not exactly. Jess was still able to recruit in the situation and coached phenomenally. It’s more just in reference to the fit and how you feel about the culture of the staff.

Rumph hasn’t recruited since he got here and even self-admitted working with a therapist about it. Jess had options and could leave. Rumph really doesn’t and he’s an alum here so it’s a little different. He’s also been working with them for 5 years now but he’s not a “protégé” of Manny.

Banda will be gone. Patke seems harmless. Assuming Baker will have less responsibility In terms of play calling etc. maybe Jess Simpson returns with the understanding he has greater input in the defensive plan? Could he be DL coach/ Co DC?

Advertisement

i heard he wasn't in love with being here nor was his wife. Personally, I know everyone I spoke to loved him as a coach

Advertisement
i heard he wasn't in love with being here nor was his wife. Personally, I know everyone I spoke to loved him as a coach

I can see that. hes from GA and going to Miami doesn't appeal to everyone esp when you're used to a diff lifestyle

This is the typical nonsense.

Certain porsters get to say "Diaz and Baker have a super-close relationship that will never allow Diaz to fire Baker". Certain porsters can say this with no evidence, and then they expect others to disprove that statement?

Insanity.

Agree it's debatable whether or not the relationship is super close. What's not debatable is that Manny fell back on who he knew to be his DC, and it's equally obvious from the dynamic that Manny dictates the scheme if not the specific play calling.

So whether it's a personal friendship, or just Baker as the extension of Manny's ego, or both, Manny is invested in that relationship and the greater control he enjoys from it. Just like Golden/Dorito. And no one except Manny appears to know whether he's willing to give that control up.

I really don't get why you fan the flames with trigger words like "porster". Or bizarro. It detracts from the value of the critical thinking you often bring to the discussion boards, and makes you look like a know-it-all with a mean streak instead.

Because it's a convenient narrative and rallying cry that the mouth breathers like to use because it's far easier for a simpleton to compare a situation like this to a previous, failed regime as opposed to something independent of itself.

Now help me understand what this brings to any discussion? And what the heck is a mouth breather anyway? Don't we all breathe from our mouths? Are you also not a mouth breather? ... There is literally no reason to be asses over this. We're all going to learn what Manny does over the next couple of weeks.

Advertisement
Back