Cristobal

Advertisement
There are other ways to throw the ball besides Rosier. We can throw it out of the wildcat, like with Dallas. In addition, perhaps be a little creative with our run packages.

I think we force something that didn't work because we're stubborn. We ran the ball 23 times in that game.

Reviewing those carries:

1. Shirreffs had 1 carry (this was technically a sack).
2. Homer and Dallas combined for 10 carries.
3. Rosier had 12 carries.

There is no reason that Homer and Dallas should combine for ONLY 10 total carries. When Homer became the starter, after FSU (for the GT game), he averaged 15.3 carries per game. Against Pitt, he had ONLY 7 carries. Homer and Dallas (combined) ran the ball 4 times in the 2nd Half.

Know what? You got me there.

Know what? You got me there.
Not really when those 10 carries only garnered 16 yards. When you're losing the game and only getting 1.6 ypc from your running backs, it's time to throw the ball and see what happens. Your first instinct was the correct one. We threw the ball so much because we couldn't run it and were trailing in the 2nd half. Richt would have been crucified had we lost that game grinding out 1.6 ypc and not at least giving the QB an opportunity to win it after it was obvious that we were not getting it done on the ground.

Not really when those 10 carries only garnered 16 yards. When you're losing the game and only getting 1.6 ypc from your running backs, it's time to throw the ball and see what happens. Your first instinct was the correct one. We threw the ball so much because we couldn't run it and were trailing in the 2nd half. Richt would have been crucified had we lost that game grinding out 1.6 ypc and not at least giving the QB an opportunity to win it after it was obvious that we were not getting it done on the ground.

Yeah, I wasn't completely backing off that logic, but I do think more of those 23 carries should have been by a RB. Without watching the game again (can't bring myself to sit through that again) I don't know how many of Rosier's "carries" were him running for his life and how many were designed.

Overall I still see the logic and agree...Rosier could have gotten hot at some point, but the OL probably wouldn't and I'm sure the box was stacked.

Another thing I noticed from the stats was TOP and number of plays were real low which limits how many times you can try to run the ball.

As for crucifiction, Richt was getting that pass or run, win or lose. That game was ugly enough that there was going to be a ton of btching about it no matter how it ended.

Advertisement

And how many yards do you get on an incomplete pass?

There were 8 offensive drives in the second half (for us). We moved the ball for a total of ~134 yards. Remember, 15 of those yards were on a PI. You know what clearly wasn't working, letting Malik throw the ball. Malik had 13 incomplete passes in the second half (this doesn't include the PI). Those 13 incomplete passes generated zero yards.

My favorite part of that game was when Richt randomly went to Shirreffs with ~10 minutes left in the game. He let him throw the ball 3 times. At this point of the game, it was still a 2 score game.

Obviously after Pitt scored, the next drive, nobody faults Richt for throwing the ball down 3 scores.

I don't understand how you can know something completely doesn't work when you only hardly ever do it (run the ball 6 times in the first half). In addition, as previously stated, Homer averaged 15 CPG (as the starter). Perhaps give him a few more carries/chances. Perhaps give Dallas some too.

Oregon wouldn’t hire Richt.

Look at every coach they have hired from Bellotti to Cristobal. There is ONE exception but Richt wouldn’t fit that either.

Miami hasn’t learned much as evidenced by:

1. The hiring of Richt,
2. The unnecessary extension (that is 4 in a row for us), and
3. The apathy and lack of pressure on Richt and this continued OC experiment.

Trying wayyyy too hard.

Advertisement

There were 8 offensive drives in the second half (for us). We moved the ball for a total of ~134 yards. Remember, 15 of those yards were on a PI. You know what clearly wasn't working, letting Malik throw the ball. Malik had 13 incomplete passes in the second half (this doesn't include the PI). Those 13 incomplete passes generated zero yards.

My favorite part of that game was when Richt randomly went to Shirreffs with ~10 minutes left in the game. He let him throw the ball 3 times. At this point of the game, it was still a 2 score game.

Obviously after Pitt scored, the next drive, nobody faults Richt for throwing the ball down 3 scores.

I don't understand how you can know something completely doesn't work when you only hardly ever do it (run the ball 6 times in the first half). In addition, as previously stated, Homer averaged 15 CPG (as the starter). Perhaps give him a few more carries/chances. Perhaps give Dallas some too.
No. What clearly wasn't working was anyone running besides Rosier. Rosier was inaccurate. Fine. I'm not arguing otherwise, but he was literally ALL of the offense. He gave us the only chance of moving the ball.

Rushes in the first half (I don't count sacks, QB runs that weren't sacks only because the QB managed to get back to the line, or Rosier taking a knee to end the half):

Homer: 4, 1, 3, 2
Dallas: 3, -3
Rosier: 4, 3, 13, 2

2nd half runs:

Homer: 1, 1, 0
Rosier: 15, 5
Dallas: 4

Here's the thing. When you look at the stat sheet it's easy to say we should have ran Homer more, but for what? He was averaging 1.7 ypc. Dallas got 1.2. It should be obvious that in the 2nd half we scrapped the first down runs that weren't working in favor of short passes, and there's a reason for that that escapes the casual fan. Rosier was averaging 5.5 yards per completion. Yeah, he's completing only 44%, but that's a 44% chance at having a manageable 2nd and 4 rather than 2nd and 9.

We didn't gain 5 yards on a single play where Rosier didn't either throw it or run it, and we gained under 3 yards on 85% of all other plays.

Let's see? 44% chance of gaining 6 yards, or an 85% chance of 3 or fewer?

I can’t get over the obsession with this guy.....is it because he’s Cuban and played at Um? Dude is mediocre and has nowhere the resume to be at Um. We’re no longer dumpster diving to save money.

What we saw other night against Stanford was a coach single handidly losing a game on his own. That was a three kneels and a win. Not even Al “ Corch “ Golden or Wandy wouldn’t choked the game away.

One of the worst choke jobs I’ve seen from a coach , that team and players out played Stanford and deserved that W. But him and him alone took it from them.

Yet we still have people in here talking this dude up, some of the silliest crap I’ve ever read on here. And that says a lot.

I can’t get over the obsession with this guy.....is it because he’s Cuban and played at Um? Dude is mediocre and has nowhere the resume to be at Um. We’re no longer dumpster diving to save money.

What we saw other night against Stanford was a coach single handidly losing a game on his own. That was a three kneels and a win. Not even Al “ Corch “ Golden or Wandy wouldn’t choked the game away.

One of the worst choke jobs I’ve seen from a coach , that team and players out played Stanford and deserved that W. But him and him alone took it from them.

Yet we still have people in here talking this dude up, some of the silliest crap I’ve ever read on here. And that says a lot.
Because Richt is striking soooo much fear into the hearts of imposing coaches right???

Richt was coaching the Pitt game as if we had already secured a first round bye lol

Advertisement
I am going to respond but I am going to save you a lot of time because we're not going to agree. Perhaps you don't want to read my post because we're on different pages.

No. What clearly wasn't working was anyone running besides Rosier. Rosier was inaccurate. Fine. I'm not arguing otherwise, but he was literally ALL of the offense. He gave us the only chance of moving the ball.

He was the only one given an actual chance. He had the ball 40+ times in total. The two RBs had it 7 times (8 if you count the one reception). I don't see how anyone else could have done something given the tremendous disparity and lack of opportunities.

It sometimes takes time to get into a rhythm and the RBs were NEVER given an opportunity (nor the offense) to get into one. They were given 6 TOTAL carries in the first half.

Here's the thing. When you look at the stat sheet it's easy to say we should have ran Homer more, but for what? He was averaging 1.7 ypc. Dallas got 1.2. It should be obvious that in the 2nd half we scrapped the first down runs that weren't working in favor of short passes, and there's a reason for that that escapes the casual fan. Rosier was averaging 5.5 yards per completion. Yeah, he's completing only 44%, but that's a 44% chance at having a manageable 2nd and 4 rather than 2nd and 9.

Malik was the ONLY one given a real chance and he failed miserably. Homer and Dallas weren't given a chance. Homer averaged 15 CPG (as the starter last year). The Pitt game was his 7th start. He was averaging over 100+ YPG at that point. In those 6 games prior, he was given at least 14 CPG. All of the sudden he isn't worth those carries?

You don't have to look at this stat sheet (just for this game) to know Homer was worthy of more carries. Look at the prior games where he started.

Again, he only had 4 carries in the first half (3 in the second). That is pathetic. Let the man have some carries because he mostly has delivered in the prior 6 games when given the opportunity. Let the man get into some type of rhythm.

We didn't gain 5 yards on a single play where Rosier didn't either throw it or run it, and we gained under 3 yards on 85% of all other plays.

Let's see? 44% chance of gaining 6 yards, or an 85% chance of 3 or fewer?

If Rosier was the best chance of moving the ball, why put in Shirreffs to begin with (especially in that situation)?

Because Richt is striking soooo much fear into the hearts of imposing coaches right???

Let’s compare resumes then see how silly you look. I can’t conversate with somebody that’s making an awful debate. There’s no debate.

Go replay that Oregon / Stanford game again and tell that guy even deserves that gig. A ten year old on madden would’nt lose that game.

It was actually mathematically impossible to lose that , unless you didn’t kneel it. Lol.

Richt was coaching the Pitt game as if we had already secured a first round bye lol
I think the players played that game like they’d played 10 straight, had already had the division wrapped up, a spot in the playoffs with a win over Clemson, and a meaningless game in between. In college football, that’s as close as it comes to a first round bye.

Not excusing the coaches, but the players played like the game didn’t matter, because it didn’t.

Advertisement
I am going to respond but I am going to save you a lot of time because we're not going to agree. Perhaps you don't want to read my post because we're on different pages.

He was the only one given an actual chance. He had the ball 40+ times in total. The two RBs had it 7 times (8 if you count the one reception). I don't see how anyone else could have done something given the tremendous disparity and lack of opportunities.

It sometimes takes time to get into a rhythm and the RBs were NEVER given an opportunity (nor the offense) to get into one. They were given 6 TOTAL carries in the first half.

Malik was the ONLY one given a real chance and he failed miserably. Homer and Dallas weren't given a chance. Homer averaged 15 CPG (as the starter last year). The Pitt game was his 7th start. He was averaging over 100+ YPG at that point. In those 6 games prior, he was given at least 14 CPG. All of the sudden he isn't worth those carries?

You don't have to look at this stat sheet (just for this game) to know Homer was worthy of more carries. Look at the prior games where he started.

Again, he only had 4 carries in the first half (3 in the second). That is pathetic. Let the man have some carries because he mostly has delivered in the prior 6 games when given the opportunity. Let the man get into some type of rhythm.

If Rosier was the best chance of moving the ball, why put in Shirreffs to begin with (especially in that situation)?
I’m not some pansy who gets all in his feelings just by having my opinion questioned. It’s cool, man. You don’t agree with me. Fortunately, you’re just some random guy on an Internet message board.

We played like trash all the way around. Trying to blame one person for that debacle is like standing in a landfill and trying to find what stinks.

Let’s compare resumes then see how silly you look. I can’t conversate with somebody that’s making an awful debate. There’s no debate.

Go replay that Oregon / Stanford game again and tell that guy even deserves that gig. A ten year old on madden would’nt lose that game.

It was actually mathematically impossible to lose that , unless you didn’t kneel it. Lol.
Let's replay Richt's last 4 losses and see which is more embarrassing. And what do you see on Richt's resume that makes him this mythical all time great? Mario had ONE job prior to the Oregon gig, and the guy that replaced him was recently fired, not to mention we just beat this same program this past weekend with our backup qb. You guys want Mario to fail simply to justify your stance and opinion that he doesn't deserve to be head coach at UM. It's flat out comical the way yall laughing at Mario for losing a game he had an opportunity to win against the #7 team in the country and overlook the *** whuppin Richt's #8 team took against #24 Lsu! And how long has Richt been at UM compared to Mario’s tenure at Oregon? And you trust to talk about someone else looking silly?

I think the players played that game like they’d played 10 straight, had already had the division wrapped up, a spot in the playoffs with a win over Clemson, and a meaningless game in between. In college football, that’s as close as it comes to a first round bye.

Not excusing the coaches, but the players played like the game didn’t matter, because it didn’t.
When you're the 2nd ranked team playing for a playoff berth EVERY SINGLE GAME MATTERS! It's the coaches job to motivate their players and that clearly did not happen. No way to justify the 2nd best team in the country losing to a 4 win team...

Advertisement
Back