Cribby, D$, LCE, anyone -- what CBs are we recruiting?

Advertisement
Advertisement
They're trying to sell Terrion Arnold on playing CB here, while he's being recruited to play Safety by all the SEC schools, slim chance to none there. He's either going to UF, UGA or Bama, UF with the lead right now.

Markevious Brown is the one we have the best shot with, but we're battling it out with T-Buck at Ole Miss, so we'll see.

They've doubled back around & tried pick back up contact with Damarius McGhee, too little too late.

Basically, it's Brown or Portal. That's what our CB recruiting is, either swing for the fences or hope & pray we stumble across someone in the Portal. Manny don't give AF about CB recruiting.

Oh, and don't trick yourselves into thinking 2022 will be any different at CB, because I can assure it won't.
He thinks his scheme doesn't need good cover CBs because his D-Line will consistently get pressure and his Safeties will protect the deep ball. All Manny cares about is DL, Safety and Striker

If you want to really scratch your head, curse, drink, whatever, here is a quote from Manny in today’s article by Barry Jackson:

“The problem with Te’Cory Couch is we don’t have enough of him,” UM coach Manny Diaz told WQAM’s Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. “You would love to have him three places at once every play. Great in coverage. He really has a knack at blitzing. When he gets in there, he finds a way to get to the quarterback. It’s always been in critical situations.”

Advertisement
what do you think the "striker" is?.

Kam Chancellor played the same position at VT which is what a striker is an thats a ROVER.
I’m aware of that. My point was that he’s only got 2/3 of the equation. He’s got the guys who can create pressure up front, he’s got a decent Stryker currently (even better potential ones coming) but no real legit cover guys in the secondary. Need all 3 to run Manny’s type of defense.

If you want to really scratch your head, curse, drink, whatever, here is a quote from Manny in today’s article by Barry Jackson:

“The problem with Te’Cory Couch is we don’t have enough of him,” UM coach Manny Diaz told WQAM’s Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. “You would love to have him three places at once every play. Great in coverage. He really has a knack at blitzing. When he gets in there, he finds a way to get to the quarterback. It’s always been in critical situations.”

There's a Tecoury Couch in EVERY class in south florida. Matter of fact its usually a few of them from dade to palm beach that they look over lol

I’m aware of that. My point was that he’s only got 2/3 of the equation. He’s got the guys who can create pressure up front, he’s got a decent Stryker currently (even better potential ones coming) but no real legit cover guys in the secondary. Need all 3 to run Manny’s type of defense.

He doesnt care to much about it ..its fairly obvious. Witht he amount of zone nad cover 3 we play...they put a premium on there cbs being able to tackle. It is what it is at this point. We are 5 years in with the group and its obvious CB isnt high on the priority list. If it was RUmph may have been gone 2 classes a go

There's a Tecoury Couch in EVERY class in south florida. Matter of fact its usually a few of them from dade to palm beach that they look over lol
It was one of those comment where you read it and all you can do is laugh and shake your head. I just don’t get it. Finding three other Tecory Couches in Miami just takes a basic level of common sense, due diligence, and effort. You and LCE somehow can find 5-10 of them a year but the guys making 6-7 figures to do it professionally can’t.

Last edited:
Advertisement
He doesnt care to much about it ..its fairly obvious. Witht he amount of zone nad cover 3 we play...they put a premium on there cbs being able to tackle. It is what it is at this point. We are 5 years in with the group and its obvious CB isnt high on the priority list. If it was RUmph may have been gone 2 classes a go

Gogeta do any of the top teams take this view on CB's? Seem to me that the bamas, ohio states and clemsoms put a premium on CB...Im I wrong on that? Are we the only program to takes that view?

Crazy that any coach in today’s game doesn’t have a premium placed on strong cover corners 😫

Advertisement
Good to see a thread not just bashing Rumph. I wouldn’t want to be the CB coach/recruiter who has to sell playing in this system to a south Florida CB. It’s legit the exact opposite of the style these kids are accustomed to playing and what gets you into the league.

If Diaz really thinks CB recruiting isn't important ( which I can't believe even if I don't think much of him at this point in terms of being as championship coach)..... he's sillier than I thought but I don't believe that. Common sense tells you you need a CB that can run cover and tackle

Regardless, Miami's recruiting CB has been silly af.

Man, I played Safety so you know I’m inclined to agree with you. But real talk, Safeties can’t cover elite WRs. I’d grab a bunch of CBs with good speed and cover skills knowing that I can bulk up a few and make them Safeties.

Can’t convert Safeties to Corners.
I get your point, but I’ll take a 6’1” 210 Pound hybrid CB/S and plug him in all day at CB in college. I don’t believe we’re talking about 225 pound safeties. Truth be told, the speed/quick twitch WR isn’t everywhere at this level. You need a few true CB’s with hips and speed, but you’re probably served equally as well by utilizing those in between guys because of the implementation of the spread everywhere.

Advertisement
Back