Cribby, D$, LCE, anyone -- what CBs are we recruiting?

They're trying to sell Terrion Arnold on playing CB here, while he's being recruited to play Safety by all the SEC schools, slim chance to none there. He's either going to UF, UGA or Bama, UF with the lead right now.

Markevious Brown is the one we have the best shot with, but we're battling it out with T-Buck at Ole Miss, so we'll see.

They've doubled back around & tried pick back up contact with Damarius McGhee, too little too late.

Basically, it's Brown or Portal. That's what our CB recruiting is, either swing for the fences or hope & pray we stumble across someone in the Portal. Manny don't give AF about CB recruiting.

Oh, and don't trick yourselves into thinking 2022 will be any different at CB, because I can assure it won't.

i really just don't know what to think about CB strategy. it's mind boggling

Advertisement
The staff is all about physicality and tackling. When manny says “you will tackle or won’t play” he means it. Tbh if I’m a lockdown man cb I’m not sure if I’d want to play in this system, you’d be wasting your skills. It’s a zone scheme for the most part that needs cb’s that tackle well.

And i too want all DBs to tackle. If you don't tackle in the NFL, you don't keep your job....unless your name is Deion Sanders. College should be no different and kids who want an NFL job need to have that drilled into their heads.

But Manny and Co are taking it way too far to the extreme here. Who gives a rats *** if a kid is an elite tackler if he can't cover. You need cover guys first. If Manny/Baker's LBs and Banda's safeties can't tackle, does it really matter if your CBs can? No. Not one bit. Stop being a stubborn mule on the trail only thinking 3% of all CBs nationwide can play in your system, stop playing so much useless prevent zone scaring away the top press cover kids and fix your tackling issues in-house.

It's so apparent Manny's lack of prioritization of CBs. Maybe he's got Jobe, TC, Surtain, Asante PTSD. Just doesn't make sense to me that a defensive-minded coach wouldn't covet elite CBs. After DL, CB is the second most important position on the Defense. You want to create havoc upfront of course, but you just as much need to protect the backend from getting torched by long pass plays. Especially in today's pass happy college football world.

All the elite teams can point to good CB play. Not even debatable. My guess is Manny thinks he can find another Adrian Colbert(son) from the portal...

This is why a strong DC is so badly needed, because he will definitely prioritize CBs.

Advertisement
It's so apparent Manny's lack of prioritization of CBs. Maybe he's got Jobe, TC, Surtain, Asante PTSD. Just doesn't make sense to me that a defensive-minded coach wouldn't covet elite CBs. After DL, CB is the second most important position on the Defense. You want to create havoc upfront of course, but you just as much need to protect the backend from getting torched by long pass plays. Especially in today's pass happy college football world.

All the elite teams can point to good CB play. Not even debatable. My guess is Manny thinks he can find another Adrian Colbert(son) from the portal...

This is why a strong DC is so badly needed, because he will definitely prioritize CBs.
In his defense after DL....SAFETY is the most important position

And i too want all DBs to tackle. If you don't tackle in the NFL, you don't keep your job....unless your name is Deion Sanders. College should be no different and kids who want an NFL job need to have that drilled into their heads.

But Manny and Co are taking it way too far to the extreme here. Who gives a rats *** if a kid is an elite tackler if he can't cover. You need cover guys first. If Manny/Baker's LBs and Banda's safeties can't tackle, does it really matter if your CBs can? No. Not one bit. Stop being a stubborn mule on the trail only thinking 3% of all CBs nationwide can play in your system, stop playing so much useless prevent zone scaring away the top press cover kids and fix your tackling issues in-house.

if a guy is motivated to put in the work, it's easier to teach him how to tackle than how to cover

It's a joke. High level CBs make his chaotic 1-gap meet at the QB scheme even better bc he wouldn't have to play Cover-2. It would also GREATLY help the run game by dropping a S into the box. Might actually be nice to be able to cover a good slot like Rodgers full-time with a CB instead of with Gil or Bolden.

Advertisement
They're trying to sell Terrion Arnold on playing CB here, while he's being recruited to play Safety by all the SEC schools, slim chance to none there. He's either going to UF, UGA or Bama, UF with the lead right now.

Markevious Brown is the one we have the best shot with, but we're battling it out with T-Buck at Ole Miss, so we'll see.

They've doubled back around & tried pick back up contact with Damarius McGhee, too little too late.

Basically, it's Brown or Portal. That's what our CB recruiting is, either swing for the fences or hope & pray we stumble across someone in the Portal. Manny don't give AF about CB recruiting.

Oh, and don't trick yourselves into thinking 2022 will be any different at CB, because I can assure it won't.
This is what despair really is

It's a joke. High level CBs make his chaotic 1-gap meet at the QB scheme even better bc he wouldn't have to play Cover-2. It would also GREATLY help the run game by dropping a S into the box. Might actually be nice to be able to cover a good slot like Rodgers full-time with a CB instead of with Gil or Bolden.
This has always been my thought on it. If you’re going to run a defense like his, you need some help in coverage as well in case pressure takes a little longer to get home. The LOB should be the gold standard for what Manny tried to emulate. Havoc up front strong coverage in cover 3 in the back with a Kam Chancellor type S/LB hybrid for TEs

This has always been my thought on it. If you’re going to run a defense like his, you need some help in coverage as well in case pressure takes a little longer to get home. The LOB should be the gold standard for what Manny tried to emulate. Havoc up front strong coverage in cover 3 in the back with a Kam Chancellor type S/LB hybrid for TEs
what do you think the "striker" is?.

Kam Chancellor played the same position at VT which is what a striker is an thats a ROVER.

Advertisement
This year will have way higher amount of movement and earlier. There’ll be good players to be had, at every position.
They’ve got to be banking on that at CB and possibly at QB if King doesn’t come back.

Advertisement

That's insane to me. I'm I wrong in thinking that the top teams put a premium on recruting CB's??? Are we the only ones that dont give AF about CB recruiting?? That just seems insane to me.

This.

Covington is another name I’ve heard.

The only thing I can say with confidence is the portal route will 100% be happening, minimum of one.

That seems like such an incredibly risky approach to me. They don't know if any good CB will be available in the portal and as LCE said...its not a common to see good CB in the portal.

Advertisement
Back